EB Houston

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

mike123230 wrote:flooding sucks. full stop.

Ugh, sorry to hear, Mike. Did any of the collection make it?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby tourist504 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote: But yeah, when you have a moment if you could let me know if the name of the disinfectant I would appreciate it!

Hi, just thought about this... The stuff I used is from Reliable Brand. It's called Citrus Scent Disinfectant Spray.

Did you have any luck?

Thanks! So far I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I took a shop vac to it a couple of times and left the windows either completely down or at least cracked for about a week and sprayed some Lysol in it. That's about it up to this point and I haven't noticed anything bad with it. But just to be on the safe side I'm going to get the car washed and the interior cleaned probably this weekend.

I had a car flood during Katrina. Dried it out as best as I could. Ran, though poorly, thereafter, then died on the road 2 full months after the flood. Then I overpaid because used cars were in high demand in my area because of the storm.

If you have to replace, shop outside of the city if you can help it... Good luck, man.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

tourist504 wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote: But yeah, when you have a moment if you could let me know if the name of the disinfectant I would appreciate it!

Hi, just thought about this... The stuff I used is from Reliable Brand. It's called Citrus Scent Disinfectant Spray.

Did you have any luck?

Thanks! So far I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I took a shop vac to it a couple of times and left the windows either completely down or at least cracked for about a week and sprayed some Lysol in it. That's about it up to this point and I haven't noticed anything bad with it. But just to be on the safe side I'm going to get the car washed and the interior cleaned probably this weekend.

I had a car flood during Katrina. Dried it out as best as I could. Ran, though poorly, thereafter, then died on the road 2 full months after the flood. Then I overpaid because used cars were in high demand in my area because of the storm.

If you have to replace, shop outside of the city if you can help it... Good luck, man.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated! I did notify my insurance company over the weekend that the car got some water in it during the hurricane so they could notate my account. I haven't filed a claim yet but I wanted them to be aware of the situation in case anything else comes of this down the line. I did take the car from Houston to Seguin to San Antonio to Austin and back to Houston this past weekend without any troubles (so that was encouraging)!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm

That sounds like a good sign. I was only driving around the city after Katrina, gutting houses and surveying damage. You've probably already driven your car much farther than I did mine after the water. I'm sure you would have noticed an issue by now if there was one.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby mike123230 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 am

RottenAtom wrote:
mike123230 wrote:flooding sucks. full stop.

Ugh, sorry to hear, Mike. Did any of the collection make it?

We woke up at 6:30 a.m. that Sunday, saw that water was closer to our front door than it had ever been and there was red band after red band headed our way, so we knew we were going to flood. When we bought the house, we added a laundry room, so that had to be up to modern code (i.e., up 3 steps), so that was our highest ground. I unloaded the flat file to a table in there, grabbed some electronics and my wife's wedding dress and then we waded to higher ground, making multiple trips with 2.5 y/o toddler, 6 week old, and then the two dogs. So collection made it, which is good since my contents flood insurance is lower than I had thought, but the flat file did not. So any leads on a good flat file would be nice...

Otherwise, we lost all my kids' toys, pretty much all our furniture, a lot of clothes, had to tear up all our rugs to carry their dripping carcasses outside, rip out 4' of sheetrock, tear out the wood floors.

Our street had never flooded, so it's been heartbreaking to see an entire street lined with original 1950's hardwood floors that all got destroyed. All but 4 houses on my street flooded, so we went from a pretty closeknit street, to even closer after being huddled up together in the few houses that didn't flood, to being flung our separate ways while we rebuild/decide what to do. I'm at the "angry" stage of grief...

On the car notes - I'll echo what Tourist says. We got some water into our Camry. The car starts and I drove it for a few days, but USAA totalled it out pretty much without even looking since they assume any car that got a little bit of water inside will ultimately start having electrical issues in a few months and then die on you pretty soon down the road. So just be wary even if you're car is starting fine now.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 am

Sucks to hear, dude. Hope you, all affected, will recover from this and build better places than what they were before. It's all just things, really.

P.S. My wife sold her dress about two years into our marriage after we moved. She would have done it sooner, but who can remember about it hanging in the closet?
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 am

Damn. Sorry dude. Sucks about the flat file and the hardwood floors. And the car. And the kids toys... Glad to hear that the family and the collection made it out okay. Must have been heartbreaking watching that water approach.

Congrats on the 6 week old :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby FroDawg on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am

RottenAtom wrote:Damn. Sorry dude. Sucks about the flat file and the hardwood floors. And the car. And the kids toys... Glad to hear that the family and the collection made it out okay. Must have been heartbreaking watching that water approach.

Congrats on the 6 week old :pint:

Hear Hear.

Hard as it is to deal with, the "stuff" can be replaced. :neutral:

You and the fam standing tall is great news in this tragedy. :clap:
FroDawg
Art Expert

"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm

tourist504 wrote:That sounds like a good sign. I was only driving around the city after Katrina, gutting houses and surveying damage. You've probably already driven your car much farther than I did mine after the water. I'm sure you would have noticed an issue by now if there was one.

I hope so! I still plan on getting the car cleaned this weekend (inside and out). Peace of mind.

Sorry for those who have lost things (Mike, Atom, and others).
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Hope everyones doing good.

back when I was in buffalo and we'd get dumped on with snow and stuck in the house for days with no plows on the streets to even get supplies it's incredible how neighbors and neighborhoods come together awesome to hear / see / appreciate.
soam24
Art Freak

Postby mike123230 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks, all. It's been a shitty three weeks, but no we're in our own rental place, got my father in law bringing our dogs back from Dallas right now, and my daughter is no longer asking to go back to "Leia's (her name) house", so that's a big weight off my shoulders.

That said -- anyone got a spare flat file, or thoughts on accessible storage for a year...only a matter of time before my daughter thinks these stacks are a fun mountain to play on :). And probably going to be selling a lot of the stuff I never framed to help defray some of the immense cash outlay that is rent on top of a mortgage, buying all new toys, and saving to build a new house.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 am

So... who wants to go sledding?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 am

RottenAtom wrote:So... who wants to go sledding?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, its more like a veneer.... 8)
rubberneck
Art God

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am

RottenAtom wrote:So... who wants to go sledding?

Wish we were seeing snow up here!

Glad to see the weather will be nice in Houston next weekend (except for possible rain on Sunday) for when I'm in town.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby mike123230 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Anyone ever get something framed at the Antiquarium? The woman that I really liked at Village Frame Gallery is the head framer there now, so was curious if anyone had been there.
mike123230
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes