EB Houston

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby mike123230 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:15 am

Also, happy Chanukah!
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:28 pm

I checked out the Houston Cinema Arts Festival with little expectation and ended up having a blast. Solid programming, but little to no public awareness. You can skip getting a pass and buy tickets to individual screenings and still get into most of them.

http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/housto ... tival-2015
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby brettlv5506 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 am

Vintage Park Drafthouse is having a screening of Entertainment (one of my top films of 2015) on January 15th. After the screening, Neil Hamburger is going to doing a performance. https://drafthouse.com/houston/show/ent ... urger-live
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Room and Anomalisa both coming to the Sundance Theater starting this weekend. Stoked for Room to be coming back! It was at River Oaks Theatre a while ago.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Room and Anomalisa both coming to the Sundance Theater starting this weekend. Stoked for Room to be coming back! It was at River Oaks Theatre a while ago.

Thanks for the heads up. Pumped to see Room again. My wife hasn't seen it yet.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:32 am

Jackie Brown screening for Victory members at Alamo Mason Park tonight :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 am

Oh that is badass. 45 Years is playing at River Oaks now and Sundance is showing both Live Oscar Nominated Shorts & Animated Oscar Nominated Shorts this weekend too.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:09 pm

MOAR PIZZA!

Room is BACK in theaters for anyone who still missed it or doesn't want to watch it at home (one Alamo soon and it's at River Oaks for a few days).
Son of Saul is at River Oaks Theatre

Anomalisa will be at Alamo Vintage park for the next few days
"Geeks Who Drink" trivia night next Tuesday at 8pm, Vintage Park
March 5 Mortal Kombat movie party lol
March 9 The Warriors

The Last Man on the Moon about Eugene Cernen will be at Sundance starting tomorrow. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3219604/
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Diabolos80 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Took the family to the natural science museum today and we were blown away. Last time we visited was July, but already so much has changed. The African wildlife exhibit is amazing: dozen or so huge scenes that are wonderfully executed, including one with a leopard guarding his kill in a tree. The new gem and minerals exhibit is never ending (one of my wife's favorites). We also checked out the brand new 8k planetarium and it's obviously a vast improvement over the original. Add the new Lego Block Party zone where you build and compete, and there's a whole day to be had just on new stuff. Of course we also still enjoy their huge dino hall, too. If you're looking for something "new" in Houston, give the HMNS another look.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:Took the family to the natural science museum today and we were blown away. Last time we visited was July, but already so much has changed. The African wildlife exhibit is amazing: dozen or so huge scenes that are wonderfully executed, including one with a leopard guarding his kill in a tree. The new gem and minerals exhibit is never ending (one of my wife's favorites). We also checked out the brand new 8k planetarium and it's obviously a vast improvement over the original. Add the new Lego Block Party zone where you build and compete, and there's a whole day to be had just on new stuff. Of course we also still enjoy their huge dino hall, too. If you're looking for something "new" in Houston, give the HMNS another look.

:clap:

Thanks for the post. I love the planetarium and didn't know they upgraded. Which show(s) did you see? Out of the ones that are currently playing, I like Starry Night Express, Black Holes, and the Pink Floyd show. Haven't seen Dynamic Earth or Dark Universe. The African wildlife exhibit sounds cool too. The museum district is one of the best things about living in Houston and a lot of folks don't utilize it or even know about it. Most exhibits are free on Thursdays and the Menil Collection is always free. I recently checked out the Surrealism show there. They have a Dalí on loan from The Dalí Museum in Florida and they built a show around it with paintings from their own collection including some impressive Yves Tanguy and Max Ernst paintings. It runs until June 19th.

MFAH currently has the Sculpted In Steel show with art deco automobiles and cars from 1929-1940, and a Deco Nights: Evenings in the Jazz Age show with paintings from the era. The cars are impressive in person; really heavy duty. They're on display until May 30th.
ImageImage Image
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Diabolos80 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:44 am

The cars are awesome. We definitely want to check that out. I haven't been down to the arts exhibits really since my college days. I spent a lot of time at the Menil and have fond memories of it. The wife and I visited the mfah back in our dating days, so we're due another visit. Our museum trips lately have been divided between the Children's and the Zoo, but the kids are getting to the point where we could probably drag them to an art museum and they'd only protest till they got there.

We saw Dark Universe on the older planetarium and it was a great film in a poor theater. This time we saw the starry night express and I was underwhelmed by the film, but the theater is top quality. I voted to see another show, but I was vetoed. There really is a lot to do. We still didn't get to see any of the 3D films (we saw the Cousteau deep ocean film last time, it's great), and we skipped the butterfly house, gardens, park, and gift shop.

My only complaint about the HMNS is the bottom floor. The hard sciences are largely ignored down there, as in the exhibits haven't been touched in decades. The space exhibit is still sporting that sad mission control setup. It's just as boring now as it was when we were elementary kids. The lego area livens up one corner, but it's a paid exhibit and only one small step.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby DigitChris on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello all! Fellow Houstonian here just trying to meet other people here that nerd out over art posters like me ^^
I'm pretty new to EB but been following mondo art for like about a lil over a year now with my 1st official mondo poster being bought last year and now I'm a sucker for more discovering new artists, events and such :)
DigitChris
Art Enthusiast

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:38 pm

DigitChris wrote:Hello all! Fellow Houstonian here just trying to meet other people here that nerd out over art posters like me ^^
I'm pretty new to EB but been following mondo art for like about a lil over a year now with my 1st official mondo poster being bought last year and now I'm a sucker for more discovering new artists, events and such :)

Cool! Welcome 8)
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:39 am

Almost there, you just need to move to Zomg Austin!
rubberneck
Art God

Postby DigitChris on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:16 am

Thanks Cinlabyrinth ^^

rubberneck wrote:Almost there, you just need to move to Zomg Austin!

and lol I actually plan to one day ;o Been here in the houston area just about all my life but I love Austin for the much more appreciation of cool art, music, events, etc. It's always great visiting there :)
But Houston ain't bad either ^^
DigitChris
Art Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes