LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
rmoore
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Somebody say Space Lego? Had these since I was a kid, but never got the Galaxy Explorer. :(

space.jpg
mobius006
Art Freak

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Does anyone else smile when this read pops to the top :)

this is my favorite old lego set Image
galactus43
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Find your old lego building instructions here :wink:

http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/Buildi ... fault.aspx
Deadareus
Art Expert

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey! Glad to see some more love for the Lego!
ImAMonster wrote:I like your stands dude, totally adds to the fun!

I also made a pact that I won't buy any sets for Prequel Stuff. Watching the Red Letter Media reviews have made me swear to never give Lucas another dime for any of the prequel stuff. Thanks for posting the pics of Jabba's stuff, brickset didn't have any images for those 2 and I've really been looking forward to see how much better the paint job was going to be on Jabba and the Gamorean guards!
Thanks man. I hear you on the prequel stuff. I was leaning in the same direction until I realized my son is going to be as big a fan of those movies as he is the OT. I also saw my nephews completed set of Anikin and Sebulba's Podracers which is probably one of my least favorite scenes in any of the films but I just had to have it after seeing the set in person. It looks SO GREAT completed on the stands provided w/ the set. I ended up picking it up for $60 MISB shipped. It's a birthday present for the little guy the end of May.
rmoore wrote:
Grtdane06 wrote:Do any of you guys glue your sets together?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I feel this akin to letting the framer drymount your prints. :P
+ 1. There are some sets are more 'swooshable' than others and I can imagine the pain in the butt it must be for your little guy when they fall apart during play. Maybe just grab some extra bricks and try to re-enforce the looser areas of the ships or sets he's playing with?
Tservo wrote:I Just found this thread, been a big LEGO fan since I was very small and just recently got back into them. Pretty much only doing the Architecture series right now. Currently I have the Robie House, Fallingwater, Gugenheim, Burj Kahlifa, Brandenbourg Gate, and Sears Tower. I got to meet the artist, Adam Reed Tucker, in Chicago at the Frank Lloyd Wright house walk and he had the much larger scale model of Fallingwater with him. I'm excited to see what else LEGO puts out in this series, as it's one of the few things in life that's grown up but also childish and I love them.
Very cool. I haven't checked out any of the Architecture series yet but hope to purchase Guggenheim this weekend while in Boston for my wife to try and get her a little more interested in the hobby. We visited the Guggenheim this past NYE while in NYC. Plus she can display it in her classroom. I hope to get Big Ben when it's released as well for my Nephew who's father is from London.

If anybody missed the links at the beginning of the thread here are two very resourceful Lego sites.

http://www.brickset.com Keeps track of your collections and figures dating back to the early early sets pictured in some posts above.
http://www.bricklink.com An online market place for Lego

I made myself an account on bricklink.com and purchased a few things over there. Slave 1 (8097) and the 2012 X-Wing both new w/o minifigures or box for $80 shipped. A great price considering these new were $109 and $75 CAD. Sucks not having the boxes or figures but I'll be getting the figures from the Slave 1 set w/ the desert skiff and Jabba's Palace this summer anyhow (minus Bossk who I hope to get with the Super Star Destroyer next Christmas).

We are heading to Boston this coming weekend to see the Imagination Movers. I think my son and I are more excited about hitting the Lego store than anything else. It'll be my first time in a Lego store since I became an adult fan of Lego. I told him he could get whichever set he wants while we're there. I'm sure he'll pick one of the new Avengers sets. He's all about Capt. America, Iron Man and the Hulk these days. Pretty sure I am going to grab The Fire Brigade Modular Set before it's no longer available.
karza
Art Expert

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:14 pm

rmoore wrote:Somebody say Space Lego? Had these since I was a kid, but never got the Galaxy Explorer. :(

space.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
ImAMonster
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 pm

So with the big Mondo Avenger drop tomorrow and friday, I figured I'd ask: anybody get any of the Avenger Legos yet? Iron Man looks sweet, but I can't wait until I get my hands on that Deadpool. So effen sweet...
ImageImageImage T.H.C. x3

Well, what do you expect, mother? I'm half machine!
Deadareus
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:32 pm

ImAMonster wrote:So with the big Mondo Avenger drop tomorrow and friday, I figured I'd ask: anybody get any of the Avenger Legos yet? Iron Man looks sweet, but I can't wait until I get my hands on that Deadpool. So effen sweet...
I was just looking at those sets. My wife and I are taking our 3/about to be 4 yr old son to see the imagination movers in boston this weekend. ALL HE TALKS ABOUT is Lego store day.... "3 more sleeps til Lego store day!". Not sure what he has this built up to in his own mind, but hopefully he won't be disappointed.

Anyhow, I imagine these will be pretty high on his interest list. He's a big Hulk fan and really likes IRONMAN and Captain America as well. No way we are getting out of that place without at least 1 Avengers set. We'll probably end up with the Wolverine Set (my choice) and the Hulk Set (his choice). I really don't LOVE all of these sets though I must say. Hopefully that will change after seeing the movie. As of now though that Quinjet arial battle looks pretty lame for a flagship set.

That IRONMAN figure is the best of the bunch IMO. He looks friggin awesome! Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape may be on the short list as well for this figure alone.
galactus43
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 pm

ImAMonster wrote:So with the big Mondo Avenger drop tomorrow and friday, I figured I'd ask: anybody get any of the Avenger Legos yet? Iron Man looks sweet, but I can't wait until I get my hands on that Deadpool. So effen sweet...
I'll be looking for whichever one will get me an Iron Man and Hulk fig.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

galactus43 wrote:
I'll be looking for whichever one will get me an Iron Man and Hulk fig.
I'm basically doing the same. + Magneto.

Hulk only comes in one set. Hulks Heli-carrier breakout. $49.99 and the cheapest way to get Iron Man is Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape $19.99.
halokiti
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Has there been a bigger R2D2 than this new one coming out? http://shop.lego.com/en-US/R2-D2-10225; ... tid=259754

And there's a promo on 5/4 & 5/5 at Lego.com and Lego store:
FREE TC-14 minifigure with a LEGO Star Wars purchase of $75 or more.
FREE LEGO Star Wars poster with all LEGO Star Wars purchases, featuring the new exclusive 10225 R2-D2 set.
Exclusive Sales and Deals, including FREE Standard Shipping with all orders of $75 or more. (Per the small print it has to be $75 of Star Wars merchandise)
Deadareus
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:43 pm

I'll be rushing home after the Avengers midnight screening to place my order and grab the TC-14 Chrome Minifigure. Looks pretty awesome.

I'm hoping for some sort of discount on the UCS Imperial Shuttle which I plan on ordering. I'm also half worried that the UCS Death Star will be given a hefty discount and sell out within hours and it will never be seen again.

I'm not a huge fan of the Death Star set for myself but I know that in a few years my son's going to be old enough to want to play with it and by then it will be selling for 1k + in the aftermarket. What to do.. what to do?

There's also a Hulk Minifigure available later in the month if you order $50 worth starting May 15th i think. An actual minifigure not the larger figure sold with the Hulk Heli-Carrier set.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Has anybody done custom figures? If so, what type of paint do you use? My son wants to do a couple custom clone troopers.
stanley
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

OMG

how nice to see that I'm not the only art and lego crazy guy around.

My studio is now filled with screenprints and lego. My work desk is literally made out of lego. As soon as I have the time I will take pictures and post them
SouthShore
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Just flipped through my town's Arts and Recreation Summer Guidebook and lo and behold...They now have LEGO summer camps.
(There's even a "Jedi" camp for those young Star Wars fanatics)
What I wouldn't do to be a kid and go to this!
mobius006
Art Freak

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Deadareus wrote:I'll be rushing home after the Avengers midnight screening to place my order and grab the TC-14 Chrome Minifigure. Looks pretty awesome.

I'm hoping for some sort of discount on the UCS Imperial Shuttle which I plan on ordering. I'm also half worried that the UCS Death Star will be given a hefty discount and sell out within hours and it will never be seen again.

I'm not a huge fan of the Death Star set for myself but I know that in a few years my son's going to be old enough to want to play with it and by then it will be selling for 1k + in the aftermarket. What to do.. what to do?

There's also a Hulk Minifigure available later in the month if you order $50 worth starting May 15th i think. An actual minifigure not the larger figure sold with the Hulk Heli-Carrier set.
What how do I own that amazing mini fig!?!?!
stanley wrote:OMG

how nice to see that I'm not the only art and lego crazy guy around.

My studio is now filled with screenprints and lego. My work desk is literally made out of lego. As soon as I have the time I will take pictures and post them

I look forward to this desk :)