LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 am

chimpun wrote:Hey Stark, where are the updates man?! I need a MF'in fix!
Lol sorry folks, as Dr. Malcolm would say...Life...finds a way...to totally screw up any LEGO building plans you might have!

so...WHERE WAS I...oh yes, Part 14!

This was a big step, but only really one giant piece to shoot/describe. It is the main top piece in the front half since we are done with the back half and tunnels on the sides. And its an odd section, its built like a bird really, one major piece in the middle, and two "wings" that fold downward to cover the ship. It was also a major pain in the ass to attach to the ship, one of the only steps that I really got frustrated in doing. Took a few minutes to get the positioning right and get it on there, but its on and ready to go:

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:34 am

Next up, part 15!

This step was one of the more boring sections, and really quick compared to others. It is the rest of the "roof" for the right side of the ship (if you are facing it head on). So is that the starboard side? ...anyways!

it comes down to two pieces that you build, one major piece that wraps around where the dish (whichever you choose) sits, and a second piece that is more easily removable to see who is playing dejarik vs that wookie. Here are shots of it in place vs removed. And once again, this set is totally designed to NOT be hung vertically on a wall. these parts would totally fall off

And if you didn't already realize it, that 4x4 disk that rotates is where the dish will be attached. But that won't happen until step (spoiler alert) 17!
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
jamel-d
Art Freak

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 am

starkdesign wrote:
jamel-d wrote:In Denmark, Lego House Is the New Kid on the Block

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/trav ... icle-click
Man I would love to go visit that place...its on my list, along with that cool factory tour trip they do each year (if they still do it)! And don't forget to pick up that new LEGO House set with the new design in place
What house is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 am

MF build Part 16!

This was a big step, and one that took me about 3 hours (if I look at the timestamps on the minifig pic vs the final shots when I stopped to open bags 17). One thing to note again, before each step, I took the time to sort all the pieces for that step using 4-5 sorting trays. Really helped not only for when building to make it easy to locate each piece needed, but it also helps familiarize what parts are in the step you are building. Was a HUGE help a few times to know what color and part to pick in certain spots.

So this starts of course with the final couple to add to the mix, Han (old) and Rey!

Rey also comes armed with a fancy silver blaster FYI. Nice touch.

The rest of this step is all about the cockpit and "barrel" on the left side of the ship. First you build out the bulk of the part that sticks out, then add the fancy clear pieces, and attach it to the ship with a main arm that is the underlying bones of the piece. Here it is at the front to show off that large clear windshield, and another shot showing how its attached.

Once its in place, you start to build out the round sides of the tube, starting at the front and working inward. Its really a LOT of 2stud wide curved slopes. For a single step in the overall build, it might be the single largest bulk of a brick (not overall of course, but for one step its a heap).

But the coolest part of this stage of the build is the roof of this barrel. It doesn't quite "attach", but sits in a channel to the main arm you attach in the first part of this stage. So if you wanna remove it, just lift and go. It does have some of the roofing attached to it as well, but the entire portion of it rests neatly in the groove. One of the best removable pieces of the whole ship I think.

starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 am

jamel-d wrote:
starkdesign wrote:
jamel-d wrote:In Denmark, Lego House Is the New Kid on the Block

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/trav ... icle-click
Man I would love to go visit that place...its on my list, along with that cool factory tour trip they do each year (if they still do it)! And don't forget to pick up that new LEGO House set with the new design in place
What house is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.
https://www.legohouse.com/en-gb/explore ... lego-house
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 am

And then we came to the conclusion of it all, MF PART 17.

First off, gotta build out the last "character" of the set. The ever-annoying MYNOCK.

Once you get that nuisance out of the way and let 'em go chew on some cables...its time to finish this MF'er! One of the first steps is to get that barrel a proper roof around it! These are attached to your previous step, but sit nicely. Honestly out of all the roof elements, I think this one blends in the best of the bunch. Even if there is a gaping hole in the ship ;)

Then you move on to the gunner position up top! This piece is pretty much the same as the one underneath, but its more complex/detailed and also removable, so you can throw Finn into the seat to shoot up and pesky TFs that fly by. Its crazy how well they build these to be round too. My only complaint here is those two rusty stickers. Ugh for $800, just print all the damn pieces lol

After that, its all detail stuff. Build out both dishes, obv I went with the classic round one (I cracked up at the Sensei Wu hat for the center of it):

Here is the other one, along with the two front fork pieces you can add from Ep7 as well:

Fancy nameplate for those that need reminding what ship it is exactly, along with factoids for those of us nerdy to care lol

And here she is from the top down! (just looking at this pic makes me a little nervous seeing how its hanging slightly over the edge of the table lol)

And I snapped a quick pic of it this weekend for a friend with it on my shelf as of now. Now its on to building out a setting for it to reside in rather than just sitting randomly on a wooden platform, but I am gonna have to plan it all out before starting. So that might be a while lol

Hope everyone enjoyed the ride! This has been fun to document, both seeing it completed step by step, and having to "review" it each step. I'll have to do this again with a big set, maybe I'll finally dive into a city sidewalk set like everyone keeps telling me I should lol

:pint:
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 am

Great stuff, starkdesign- thanks for all the effort involved in posting the stages of your MF build- real interesting!
chimpun
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for the posts! Feels like I was there with you, creepily hiding behind your couch! Can't wait to hear from my lego store. I believe I am #1 with a bullet so hopefully not much longer before they're in stock. Thanks again Stark!
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm

ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
Newabortion
New User

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Love the lego posts guys
Creation88
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 pm

bb8 is $20 off for Prime members
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:24 pm

If anyone here is looking for the Saturn V rocket set, its back in stock at lego.com FYI

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-NASA-A ... rn-V-21309
qotsa909 wrote:Great stuff, starkdesign- thanks for all the effort involved in posting the stages of your MF build- real interesting!
chimpun wrote:Thanks for the posts! Feels like I was there with you, creepily hiding behind your couch! Can't wait to hear from my lego store. I believe I am #1 with a bullet so hopefully not much longer before they're in stock. Thanks again Stark!
Thx! Its cool to go back and read thru the process again, totally doing this process again in the future :D
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 pm

starkdesign wrote:If anyone here is looking for the Saturn V rocket set, its back in stock at lego.com FYI

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-NASA-A ... rn-V-21309
Annoyed I missed this again, saw it for a split second at work and had to walk away for a bit.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm

New legoland opening in goshen ny 2020
edgar
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

First of all, a big round of applause to Stark for his contributions to the thread and progress build of the MF.

Secondly, anybody who is interested in a combo (used, adult owned) monster fighters haunted house and vampire castle package for their Halloween celebration should contact me ASAP.

$400

If the transaction is completed by 4 PM Eastern, I will have the sets there by Monday.
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!