LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Deadareus wrote:Finished this up yesterday. It's the first Ultimate Collector Series that I have put together and I was very excited throughout I must say. Well worth the $60 price tag on Lego.com. Worth the Toys R Us tag of $129.99 CDN? Probably but thankfully I can order from the US Lego store w/ a CDN credit card/address.

i can't see either of these images- what are they?
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:33 pm

This little fellow is sitting about 4 ft. away from me right now :D .
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

qotsa909 wrote:i can't see either of these images- what are they?
Took the lazy route, perhaps this will work.

Unfortunately of all the UCS sets out there, this is probably the least exciting. But as I said in my original post the price was right and the build was awesomely fun!
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:55 pm

itsame wrote:YUP. damn you ebeans and damn you OP!
I'd apologize.... but It'll be nice to have some more company in the addiction. :pint:
rmoore
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I really miss this guy. Wish I hadn't sold it a few years ago to buy a (now broken) xbox 360. :cry:

PICT0075.jpg
PICT0060.jpg
PICT0055.jpg
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Wishing I hadn't seen close up images like that. Looks awesome!

I've kind of made a deal with myself that I am only going to collect sets that are currently available and not go seeking out discontinued or sold out sets. This will save me a ton of cash and also keep my collection current from the time my son and I entered the hobby. I'm sure there will be enough to suffice.

Contemplating making this the next bigger set:

Imperial Shuttle Ultimate Collector Series set 10212
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:26 am

go for it with the emperors shuttle- classy, clean and sharp

and that x-wing looks amazing- beautiful detail

i can never bring myself to crack open the boxes and build them- i like the thrill of unbuilt potential being wasted in my attic!
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

My friend recently bought the Death Star, he hasn't built it yet but it looks pretty cool. I'm not into Lego's myself, but I wouldn't mind having that Super Star Destroyer!
Deadareus
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:22 am

qotsa909 wrote:i can never bring myself to crack open the boxes and build them- i like the thrill of unbuilt potential being wasted in my attic!
I can see how this can easily happen. I may pitch the "investment" angle to my wife when it comes time to purchase the SSD. It'll be a hard sell but it'll be easier than convincing her that our 4 yr old (or I for that matter) needs a $400 Lego set. Having said that, I don't think I would ever be able to bring myself to sell it.
KSUvet wrote:This little fellow is sitting about 4 ft. away from me right now :D .
Very cool. You'll be able to get a matching R2-D2 this coming year. Sizing should be just about right as well. It's a bad photo but this was leaked in another Lego video

comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

The xwing is awesome. I paid $400 for mine years ago. Took hours to build. I had it in a glass case for a couple of years and then sold it assembled (plus the original box) for about $800.
My lego sales on eBay at the time were insane.
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

Used to love Lego, for you guys who collect them, how do you display them?? This might get expensive if I start to collect these too.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
sapien
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:16 am

I loved Lego when I was a kid and still have around 4 giant bins full of bricks and a ton of instructions in a closet somewhere.

I got back into them when they started putting out the SW stuff. Got the Millenium Falcon, X-Wing and the Snow Speeder. They're the simpler set, I don't think that the really fancy stuff was out at that time.

I also had the AT-AT but it was missing so many pieces that I had to return it and instead of getting a replacement like I asked for they ended up refunding me.

Last set I bought was the UCE Batmobile. That was a fun build, 1000+ black pieces ugh. Thing is badass though.

As for display I don't have any fancy stands or anything like that. The Millenium Falcon is chilling on top of my Laserdisc player and the others are on top of some shelves full of misc. action figures and toys in another room.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Used to love Lego, for you guys who collect them, how do you display them?? This might get expensive if I start to collect these too.
Right now I just have everything set up in my sons room. Eventually i'd like to have some of the larger sets (Imperial Shuttle/Super Star Destroyer) on display in the man cave (or elsewhere in the house if she'll let me).

I know the white bricks will yellow over time and it's best to keep all of your lego out of the sun. This will prove difficult for sure. The sun shines almost 8 hrs a day in my sons room.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am

Grandmommy bought my daughter a huge bin of legos at a yard sale tho other day, I made this masterpiece on Saturday.
:cautiously removes pants:
dwyutzey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 am

I soooo want the new Lego Unimog. This thing is insane. Just a little too old to justify it is all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ8oPh5QE-8
ImageImageImageImageImage