LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I'll post progress pics as soon as the thing is more recognizable...
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
edgar
Art Expert

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 pm

tourist504 wrote:I'll post progress pics as soon as the thing is more recognizable...

OMGZ ALSOME Can't wait to see how neetO your fake "legos" look.

codeblue wrote:TGT
*Whistles*
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 pm

that new Ninjago city/market/giant building playset reminds me of the streets in Blade Runner - thinking of getting to try and customize
edgar
Art Expert

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

hunterjax wrote:that new Ninjago city/market/giant building playset reminds me of the streets in Blade Runner - thinking of getting to try and customize

I saw that today...just...amazing.

Those designers can have my money. They earned it.
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

edgar wrote:
hunterjax wrote:that new Ninjago city/market/giant building playset reminds me of the streets in Blade Runner - thinking of getting to try and customize

I saw that today...just...amazing.

Those designers can have my money. They earned it.
I had gotten a few Ninjago sets for the kids years ago and always liked the aesthetic, but wasn't something I was getting for myself, just too much to collect. But I saw that on FB last night and it was just fantastic.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:00 am

Ok, gotta chime in with my two cents on the knockoff/alt brand LEGO sets lol

My wife and coworkers give me a hard time about the "disgust" I have for the megabloks, kreo, tyco, etc brands that try to recreate the LEGO experience (and FAIL miserably at of course). I don't necessarily think its wrong of a competing company to try and do their own take on it, and I have friends that love the megabloks line in particular for the gamer stuff they release, its just not my cup of tea (but seriously, there is no way LEGO would make some of those Call of Duty sets, or Walking Dead, etc). I have about 10 pieces from my Tyco stuff from when I was a kid, and only out of curiosity really lol like those crazy pieces that let you build with bricks going both up and down without the pain in building that like with LEGO

but having a knockoff company actually recreate/reproduce a set that LEGO released, using knockoff bricks, feels even worse than those legit competitors.

I'm not saying I look down on anyone that buys one of those sets, it just bums me out that companies are out there doing that. :(

I could see a 3rd party recreating the set using pieces from bricklink and selling that as a kit? using official bricks of course, with a pdf of the instructions (or a link to it I guess), but actively advertising it as a "kit" (for all I know people already do this on bricklink lol, I have never looked)

anyways, figured I would add to the discussion, since it got me curious about this whole market. I legit had no idea places were doing stuff like that!

and it also got me wondering, it would be a fun game to blindfold an AFOL and have them try to figure out which bricks were legit and which were knockoffs. kind of like the blindbag minifig test lol
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 am

Oh yeah, and that new Ninjago set looks awesome! Saw on twitter yesterday it has a few new bricks too, including a 2x2 plate with 2 studs on one side and smooth on the other half!

And speaking of Ninjago, it looks like that is the theme for the next minifig series. 20 total this time
https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/8 ... 3067850752
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:26 am

that new two stud piece can come in handy for lots of things (I'm thinking of stairs in small spaces)
rmoore
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am

starkdesign wrote:
and it also got me wondering, it would be a fun game to blindfold an AFOL and have them try to figure out which bricks were legit and which were knockoffs. kind of like the blindbag minifig test lol
That would be pretty easy actually as the Lupins don't have the raised Lego mark on top of the studs; they're just smooth. And lame.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am

rmoore wrote:Hattori Hanzo minifig in the new Ninjago CMF series!!!

that's amazing. and awesome
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm

rmoore wrote:
starkdesign wrote:
That would be pretty easy actually as the Lupins don't have the raised Lego mark on top of the studs; they're just smooth. And lame.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TECHNIC BRICKS YO?!?!?!?!? :wink:
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm

gonna need to get those ninjago minifigs.
rmoore
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:02 pm

starkdesign wrote:
rmoore wrote:
starkdesign wrote:
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TECHNIC BRICKS YO?!?!?!?!? :wink:
Damn, good point.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:21 pm

starkdesign wrote:Ok, gotta chime in with my two cents on the knockoff/alt brand LEGO sets lol

My wife and coworkers give me a hard time about the "disgust" I have for the megabloks, kreo, tyco, etc brands that try to recreate the LEGO experience (and FAIL miserably at of course). I don't necessarily think its wrong of a competing company to try and do their own take on it, and I have friends that love the megabloks line in particular for the gamer stuff they release, its just not my cup of tea (but seriously, there is no way LEGO would make some of those Call of Duty sets, or Walking Dead, etc). I have about 10 pieces from my Tyco stuff from when I was a kid, and only out of curiosity really lol like those crazy pieces that let you build with bricks going both up and down without the pain in building that like with LEGO

but having a knockoff company actually recreate/reproduce a set that LEGO released, using knockoff bricks, feels even worse than those legit competitors.

I'm not saying I look down on anyone that buys one of those sets, it just bums me out that companies are out there doing that. :(

I could see a 3rd party recreating the set using pieces from bricklink and selling that as a kit? using official bricks of course, with a pdf of the instructions (or a link to it I guess), but actively advertising it as a "kit" (for all I know people already do this on bricklink lol, I have never looked)

anyways, figured I would add to the discussion, since it got me curious about this whole market. I legit had no idea places were doing stuff like that!

I mean the issue we get into here is why does lego stop making the sets? They don't have an unlimited production line for these things. I'm fine being against anything that currently in production, but for out of print sets, lego isn't selling the ability to get them. They have already made as much money as they will. They get no profit from anything on ebay.

Its the same in the screen print world. If my wife is fine taking an image and printing it out at home and throwing it in a frame, fine. Is it the same quality? No.. but it works for her. Do I want it for my stuff? Nope.

But in the world of lego, I'd be fine for things I really wanted.

Can we talk about amiibo spoofing in this thread now?
Last edited by mobius006 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.