Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:02 pm

For everyone looking for Pliny...if you can name a spot in SF that's supposed to have it, I'm happy to check, I'd want to try some myself anyway. As I understand it, and I might be wrong, that fudge's so popular people line up when they hear it's dropping, and the brewery sells out of growlers on their own...but if there's a spot that might carry it (City Beer, maybe?) I can give it a shot.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
fredo
Art God

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

There are a bunch of bars in SF that carry Pliny on tap. Lucky 13 was the last place I had it- and they got a bunch of old Forbes posters up to boot.
just a foil for me today, thanks
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 pm

CrustaR wrote: It's got a really sweet/strong flavor to it so much so that it was really hard for me to drink. That's interesting that it's so hard to find these days. I remember it being everywhere for the longest time.
Yeah it's a pretty in-your-face taste, definitely not for everyone.
Guess they just started doing way smaller batches, because I haven't found any in Texas in a year (and I've been actively looking).
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:32 pm

fredo wrote:There are a bunch of bars in SF that carry Pliny on tap. Lucky 13 was the last place I had it- and they got a bunch of old Forbes posters up to boot.
I've been to Lucky 13 a shitton of times, don't think I ever saw it there, if I did I didn't notice. I'll maybe see about heading up this weekend and seeing if it's still there...but it's been, like, a newsworthy event out here when a bar gets to tap a Pliny keg. Maybe I missed something.
fredo
Art God

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 pm

mistersmith wrote:
fredo wrote:There are a bunch of bars in SF that carry Pliny on tap. Lucky 13 was the last place I had it- and they got a bunch of old Forbes posters up to boot.
I've been to Lucky 13 a shitton of times, don't think I ever saw it there, if I did I didn't notice. I'll maybe see about heading up this weekend and seeing if it's still there...but it's been, like, a newsworthy event out here when a bar gets to tap a Pliny keg. Maybe I missed something.
They had it in December. Far as the fanfare goes, they may be talking about Pliny the Younger- which comes out once a year in stupid limited quantities and is a huge deal for beer-o-philes. I've never had it but a trip to Russian River brewing is gonna happen.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Maybe that's what up, then, Elder vs. Younger. I have too many interests to get wrapped up in beer minutia too.

I just googled it, and the "events" I can remember do seem to have been Younger drops:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/765290
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:07 pm

yo!

Any Cali peeps know anything about Sierra Nevada Estate beer? Like can someone get me one? :P
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
shagdonk
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:yo!

Any Cali peeps know anything about Sierra Nevada Estate beer? Like can someone get me one? :P

Apparently it's only available at the gift shop in Chico, CA.

From the Sierra Nevada FB page:
"Estate Homegrown Ale vintage 2011 is in the gift shop! Come and get it while you can. It won't last long!"
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Yea, that's why i brought it up...I'd love one if anyone can help me out.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:54 pm

CrustaR wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:Big thanks to sidewaysscott for hooking me up, cool dude :clap: :pint:

...if anyone has extra 120minutes lying around, that would be cool. I'm not going to actively look for it or anything, but if you're bored and have nothing better to do than send a random dude beer, I'd be thankful :lol:
Are the DFH 120 mins hard to find around here? I haven't looked in a while. That stuff is really strong and expensive.
as far as the 120s, i did find like 6 at my local store, and they only got 12. That was their first and only shipment of the 120s in over 14 months....i only purchased 2 @ 15$ each. I also bought one on the bay for $22 or so....

I have yet to try it. Just waiting for a good opportunity. :wink:
It's got a really sweet/strong flavor to it so much so that it was really hard for me to drink. That's interesting that it's so hard to find these days. I remember it being everywhere for the longest time.
I think the rarity is also pushed by the lack of a 2010 release. They had to pour that one out, think it was on one of the Brewmasters episodes? DFH stopped delivering to TN, which is OK with me. I liked their stuff and could always swing over to GA or KY to pickup a sixer of 60-min. We have plenty here to keep me busy, plus their stuff was crazy $$$$ here. $14 for a sixer or something like that.
ayejay
Art Expert

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 pm

shagdonk wrote:
sidewaysscott wrote:yo!

Apparently it's only available at the gift shop in Chico, CA.

From the Sierra Nevada FB page:
"Estate Homegrown Ale vintage 2011 is in the gift shop! Come and get it while you can. It won't last long!"

It's pretty great, next to hoptimum it's the best beer they make. They also have a beer camp 24 oz ( their big bottles are 24 not 22)called hopsichord that's pretty epic
Raheen_Shabbazz
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:07 pm

I seem to recall seeing the Sierra Nevada Estate at the local beer store. I'll check next time I'm in there.
kylep3
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 pm

first off, love this thread.

Second - Almost positive I've had the Estate and I want to say it was in a large bottle (last year) not quite a deuce deuce. So I think you may be able to find it in a store.

Current fridge situation - Sierra Nevada Tumbler, Dogfish Punkin Ale, Lagunitas Little Sumpin WILD Ale

Loving all three. :pint:
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Abita Restoration Pale Ale. Very good and hoppy with a hint of citrus...maybe grapefruit? I dunno, but it's really good.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm

rmoore wrote:Abita Restoration Pale Ale. Very good and hoppy with a hint of citrus...maybe grapefruit? I dunno, but it's really good.
Anyone else that reads Kissing Suzy Kolber just laughed out loud at this, as I did.

Not picking on you, rmoore.