Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
PygmyLush
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 pm

^^^^how was that rouge MOM ale?

almost grab one a while back, wish i did.
"Hipsters are pissing all over the mustache's good name"- preacher010
WalterSobchak
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Anyone know a really good spicy brew? I've tried Billy's Chillies and found it weak. Suggestions for someone who like hard pain from hot beer?
Every morning I awake as someone else.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 pm

WalterSobchak wrote:Anyone know a really good spicy brew? I've tried Billy's Chillies and found it weak. Suggestions for someone who like hard pain from hot beer?
Tecate and Tapatio? Bud Light and Tabasco?

I'm just messing with you, but I didn't know spicy beer was even a thing.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
ceevee
Art Expert

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Did you ever try the Elysian Peste Chocolate Chili Ale? It is part of the "12 Beers of the Apocalypse" - so it might be hard to track down now. It was a bit over the top for me, but that could work out well for you if you can find one. Great artwork by Charles Burns too:
Look at me mixing beer talk and poster artist talk in the same post.
Kingfish
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm

WalterSobchak wrote:Anyone know a really good spicy brew? I've tried Billy's Chillies and found it weak. Suggestions for someone who like hard pain from hot beer?
Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/66674. Tough to find, but it is on tap right now at the Hulmeville Inn if you happen to live in the Bucks County, PA area.
juanbobo808
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 am

I've never been able to find a good, dangerously spicy beer that's been bottled. Every really good chili beer I've had has been at one brewfest or another, and always on tap only.
WalterSobchak
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the tips. yeah I brewed my own IPA and made it wicket spicy. Still on the look out. I'm in Colorado. I'll check out the link for sure. Anyone ever finds a really good spicy brew let me know. :pint:
Every morning I awake as someone else.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm

juanbobo808 wrote:I've never been able to find a good, dangerously spicy beer that's been bottled. Every really good chili beer I've had has been at one brewfest or another, and always on tap only.
Didn't Rogue do a chipolte beer? Thought it was mass produced.
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Calapooia makes a chili beer that is available in bottles around here, not super hot, but defenatly spicy, not sure they distribute to Colorado though
juanbobo808
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

ColonelCash wrote:
juanbobo808 wrote:I've never been able to find a good, dangerously spicy beer that's been bottled. Every really good chili beer I've had has been at one brewfest or another, and always on tap only.
Didn't Rogue do a chipolte beer? Thought it was mass produced.
I live in the Pacific Northwest, my friends and I don't really consider Rogue's beer of very good quality, especially compared to some of the other big breweries out here (Ninkasi, Deschutes, Full Sail). I haven't tried Rogue's Chipotle beer but I'm guessing if it was a beer they released to the masses that a). it wasn't very spicy and b). it probably wasn't the best chili beer out there. Maybe I'm just biased against Rogue but for most of their "classic" beers I can name you 5 other local breweries that do a better beer of the same style. IMO it's unfortunate that people's experience with beer from Oregon is only Rogue a lot of the time. Not to mention that they aren't very inclusive when it comes to the Oregon/Portland brewing scene. They just seem like 'that big brewer' who doesn't come to any of the smaller festivals like the other big brewers do on occasion and thumbs their nose at all of the local breweries. So much better beer out there...

EDIT: just went searching for the Rogue chipotle beer you mentioned, and as I guessed, it didn't get great reviews: "Not incredibly spicy at all, very little heat. Really almost more of smoked beer than a spice beer. " http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rogue-chipotle-ale/33254/
jlabbate
Art Freak

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:39 pm

fredo
Art God

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

That (pre-jlabbate's) post reeks of hipster.
Just kidding- Rogue may have outgrown its britches but it still makes excellent beer. Ninkasi is the best brewery in Oregon that I've tried. Could've spent a month in that taproom.
just a foil for me today, thanks
inkedup
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

That Founders curmudgeons is tasty.
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

fredo wrote: Ninkasi is the best brewery in Oregon that I've tried. Could've spent a month in that taproom.
Maybe I just got Ninkasi'd out, but it is way, way down the list for me.

A few of my favorite Oregon brews:
Upright
Logsdon
Boneyard
Oakshire
Hair of the Dog
Hopworks (HUB)
Lompoc
Hop Valley
Laurelwood
Bend Brewing
Block 15
Brewer's Union
Breakside
Commons
Terminal Gravity
Caldera

The list goes on. Probably 10-20 more before Ninkasi (minus their Maiden the Shade) and another dozen or so before Rogue.

But I'm a beer snob. :P
fredo
Art God

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

I believe you and haven't tried any of those. Oregon does about everything right when it comes to beer/wine, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the smaller brews smoked. We did a non-beer related tour and hit mostly larger breweries when we could, of which Ninkasi was the smallest. Obviously I loved it, but fresh beer can be deceptive... even a glass of Coors from the source is palatable.
just a foil for me today, thanks