Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
travoda
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

kansasbbq wrote:Has anybody tried the 2018 Hop Slam yet?
Yeah.

Superfluid and Double crooked tree is still better

..in my opinion
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm

How does it compare with the 2017 Hopslam, which I thought was pretty damn meh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
travoda
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Codeblue wrote:How does it compare with the 2017 Hopslam, which I thought was pretty damn meh.
Meh is an accurate description.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Baker wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:Forgot to ask: anyone have access to Monkish Brewery in LA? Would love to work something out!
I wish you luck, Monkish releases/cans on the secondary are nuts.
From what I hear those ipas, dbl ipas and triple ipas are straight juice bombs! Looking forward to trying those someday! Could do almost anything Funky Buddha related for trade! If Berliner’s are you thing could do whatever crowler release Ology has available that Sunday. Would definitely make it worthwhile! Thanks!
Last edited by phishstix101 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:59 pm

phishstix101 wrote:
Baker wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:Forgot to ask: anyone have access to Monkish Brewery in LA? Would love to work something out!
From what I hear those ipas, dbl ipas and triple ipas are straight juice bombs! Looking forward to trying those someday! Could do almost anything Funky Buddha related for trade! If Berliner’s are you thing could do whatever crowler release Ology has available that Sunday. Thanks!
IMO, there's other stuff just as good if not better than Monkish. I've been to two releases and I love their fudge, but not worth the headache.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:
Baker wrote:
From what I hear those ipas, dbl ipas and triple ipas are straight juice bombs! Looking forward to trying those someday! Could do almost anything Funky Buddha related for trade! If Berliner’s are you thing could do whatever crowler release Ology has available that Sunday. Thanks!
IMO, there's other stuff just as good if not better than Monkish. I've been to two releases and I love their fudge, but not worth the headache.
Quit bragging! :P
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:
Baker wrote:
Same. Monkish is probably the best hoppy beer in LA, so it gets insane hype, but LA is the home of hype AND a beer ghetto, so, take the hype for what it's worth. It's definitely good beer, and if you have a lot of time to kill they're worth a trip out to the middle of nowhere business park where they are, but there are so many breweries that do as good a job or better all day long.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
infrared90s
Art Expert

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 pm

i'm not sure what you mean by "beer ghetto" but i can guarantee you that it is not. it isn't only the some of the best hoppy beer in LA but i would argue in the country. secondary wouldn't be insane if it wasnt justified. you may not think its worth the headache, and that's fine. different strokes for different people.

phishstix101 - PM me and we can work something out.
travoda
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 pm

General admission KBS bottle sale tickets available for purchase on February 2, 2018 at 11am EST.

All tickets are sold via Ticketfly. Pick up only avaliable in Grand Rapids and Detroit. No shipping avaliable.

Ticket includes (3) 4-packs of 12oz bottles and (1) 750mL bottle. The package cost is $92 plus ticketing fees.
follow Founders Brewing for more details... Cheers from Michigan!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

I still need to get my ass to Monkish. Maybe next month, maybe.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kansasbbq
Art God

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Codeblue wrote:I still need to get my ass to Monkish. Maybe next month, maybe.
Do it!

(and then trade me some)
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Baker
Art Expert

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I got a pour off the Monkish/De Garde collab this weekend which...it was an amazing IPA...but I have 0 idea what part of that was DG other than their logo on the can. Tasted like an awesome monkish IPA, nothing more.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
kansasbbq
Art God

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Baker wrote:I got a pour off the Monkish/De Garde collab this weekend which...it was an amazing IPA...but I have 0 idea what part of that was DG other than their logo on the can. Tasted like an awesome monkish IPA, nothing more.
You make it sound like that's a bad thing. :P
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm

BA Marfa Light by Big Bend Brewing Co. :notworthy:

Best TX stout/BA stout i've had, and it's not particularly close.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm

infrared90s wrote:i'm not sure what you mean by "beer ghetto" but i can guarantee you that it is not. it isn't only the some of the best hoppy beer in LA but i would argue in the country. secondary wouldn't be insane if it wasnt justified. you may not think its worth the headache, and that's fine. different strokes for different people.

phishstix101 - PM me and we can work something out.
It means LA is a pretty crappy beer town all things considered (population, money, demographics), and also the global center of hype, so they hype up their best as if it's world class, even if it's not. We could go on all day about when/if secondary values are justified, but the short response to that is "lol" (see also: 99% of stuff in the EB database). There's a reason "Monkish Cans!" is a running joke everywhere that's not a BeerAdvocate thread.

Monkish makes very, very good beer. It's worth a trip and everyone should try some if they find themselves in Torrance for whatever reason - and at that time, my condolences. But for the styles that are their very best, they aren't even top 5 in CA, and my recommendation to people that would overpay for some is that they don't. If the hazeboi crew wants to disagree with me, that's totally ok.

I mean, Monkish isn't even the best brewery on the same street in their business park.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.