The Comics Thread

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby Darkknight37 on Thu May 26, 2016 10:10 am

I dunno, I feel like bringing in Watchmen to the general DCU is a big mistake. Just feels really forced. I'm still waiting for everything to go back to normal before the new 52 bs.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Thu May 26, 2016 10:22 am

Signed up for the comixology unlimited trial but the selection looks pretty slim. I did read the first book of wicked & divine though which was pretty good.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby Darkknight37 on Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

I believe The Goon is included in that comixology unlimited, and I highly suggest it!
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby ciphe on Thu May 26, 2016 11:31 am

anyone pick up the new fear and loathing comic yesterday?
ciphe
Art Expert

Postby Diabolos80 on Thu May 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I believe The Goon is included in that comixology unlimited, and I highly suggest it!

One of my personal favorites. I wonder whatever happened to the rumored movie...
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby MrSubjective on Sat May 28, 2016 1:59 am

ciphe wrote:anyone pick up the new fear and loathing comic yesterday?

The graphic novel's been out - http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Thompsons- ... 1603093753

They just released it in comic book format this week - picked up issue 1 though, haven't read the graphic novel...
MrSubjective
Art Connoisseur

Postby FrankBooth on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 am

So Mignola has kinda finished with Hellboy to focus on personal projects, he'll likely return to big red but man if this is it then that's just fine.

I genuinely love the Mignolaverse and for something of it's size, it was handled pretty incredibly overall. It had sci-fi, horror, mystery, action, a little bit of tradtional capes and just about anything else under the genre sun. Always rooted in lovecraft though and immense amounts of mythology and folklore. This is essential summer reading for anyone who has never read it or jumped into it, not just Hellboy or BPRD but also Witchfinder, Baltimore, Lobster Johnson. His material was handled at different points by different creative teams but for me it all comes together just right.

An ordered reading list from last year to get started with: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annot ... order-2015

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hellboy-just-end ... 1779906631

FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby loosehead on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 am

FrankBooth wrote:We've lost an immense talent and person in the industry, with the news of Darwyn Cooke's passing.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/14/ ... m=facebook

If people are looking for recommendations - The New Frontier and the Parker series by Cooke are as good as comics get. Brilliance.
loosehead
Art Connoisseur

Postby loosehead on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 am

fanboy wrote:I just got back into comics in the last couple months. Really heavy the last few weeks.

Daredevil on Netflix got me started. So, I started picking up back issues of the better story arcs. Then I spotted an Amazing Spiderman 129 at a vintage toy store. Traded some vintage Star Wars and Transformer toys for that. I've wanted that book since I discovered the Punisher in like 1990 as a teen. Then I picked up Batman & TMNT 3-5 at the comic shop 2 weeks ago. That got me hooked! Stoked for that series finale dropping today.

Even got the girlfriend and kids involved. They've all got a series or 2 they're into now.
loosehead
Art Connoisseur

Postby loosehead on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:59 am

fanboy wrote:I just got back into comics in the last couple months. Really heavy the last few weeks.

Daredevil on Netflix got me started. So, I started picking up back issues of the better story arcs. Then I spotted an Amazing Spiderman 129 at a vintage toy store. Traded some vintage Star Wars and Transformer toys for that. I've wanted that book since I discovered the Punisher in like 1990 as a teen. Then I picked up Batman & TMNT 3-5 at the comic shop 2 weeks ago. That got me hooked! Stoked for that series finale dropping today.

Even got the girlfriend and kids involved. They've all got a series or 2 they're into now.

You should read the Brian Michael Bendis and then Ed Brubaker run's on Daredevil. Definitely an inspiration for the Netflix show.
loosehead
Art Connoisseur

Postby FrankBooth on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:51 pm

R.I.P. Legendary Horror Comic Artist Jack Davis

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/07/27/r-i ... jack-davis

FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby pandaderek on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:02 am

I've complete the first wave of the Marvel Hip Hop variants.

pandaderek
Art Connoisseur

Postby BavarianErin on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:31 pm

That is so great! Those first ones were really hard to get, most of them my store didn't even qualify for. They made it hard. Good job on assembling a swell collection! :clap:
BavarianErin
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby Snowboarder37918 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Maybe you guys can help with a question: what app would you guys recommend to read comics on an iPad?

I wanna buy some older comics and catch up! Digital seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to do this!
Snowboarder37918
Art Connoisseur

Postby FrankBooth on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:35 pm

Snowboarder37918 wrote:Maybe you guys can help with a question: what app would you guys recommend to read comics on an iPad?

I wanna buy some older comics and catch up! Digital seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to do this!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chunky- ... 67628?mt=8

I wish they had Comicat for IOS, I use that on my Nvidia Tablet and like it a lot. If you're buying from something like Comixology or a publisher, you gotta see if they offer DRM Free copies of the books that will let you read, otherwise you may be stuck with their own in house apps.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes