The Comics Thread

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby FrankBooth on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 pm

jmagee87 wrote:My custom comic frame came in. Very happy with the result

So nice!

greekboy wrote:Just listed this in my sales thread if there's any Chew fans in here.

Chew Original Comic Art - Issue 30 pgs. 16 & 17

A little rich for my blood but I do love Chew and that rules, I have to devote any higher end OG purchase still to a Mignola original.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby mtarail on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Akira 35th anniversary box set drops tomorrow. All 2500 pages of it.

Amazon's got a nice price on it right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniv ... ords=akira
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 pm

That is pretty :notworthy:
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Visited the Mike Mignola exhibit at Society of Illustrators :clap: :notworthy:

https://www.societyillustrators.org/exh ... ke-mignola

It's free on Tuesdays from 5pm on and well worth checking out.

FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby Darkknight37 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

I would love to go to that, looks awesome.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

Scrolled through the thread fast and at first thought those were photos of your personal collection and I was going to be extremely jealous.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby finneganm on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am

Darkknight37 wrote:I would love to go to that, looks awesome.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby FrankBooth on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Scrolled through the thread fast and at first thought those were photos of your personal collection and I was going to be extremely jealous.

That would be pretty insane :drool: there are tons of pages from this I would love. Hopefully will finally obtain a Mignola page this year.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Going to heroes con in a few weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for superhero TPB's to hunt for in the bargain bins that don't require a lot of backstory. In general I prefer marvel over DC but not interested in spiderman or captain america, and probably not x-men as the continuity just got too complex with all the offshoots. Any especially good story arcs that have been collected for Thor, Hulk, DD, Wolverine? On the DC side i'd be interested in some good flash or maybe green lantern stories.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby Slacking on Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Going to heroes con in a few weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for superhero TPB's to hunt for in the bargain bins that don't require a lot of backstory. In general I prefer marvel over DC but not interested in spiderman or captain america, and probably not x-men as the continuity just got too complex with all the offshoots. Any especially good story arcs that have been collected for Thor, Hulk, DD, Wolverine? On the DC side i'd be interested in some good flash or maybe green lantern stories.

Not sure if you have checked out Remender’s run on Uncanny X-Force, I know it’s X universe but it’s an incredible read and art is top notch from Jerome Opeña. Hawkeye run by Matt Fraction few years back was amazing with art by David Aja.
Slacking
Art Enthusiast

Postby hunterjax on Wed May 30, 2018 1:17 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Going to heroes con in a few weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for superhero TPB's to hunt for in the bargain bins that don't require a lot of backstory. In general I prefer marvel over DC but not interested in spiderman or captain america, and probably not x-men as the continuity just got too complex with all the offshoots. Any especially good story arcs that have been collected for Thor, Hulk, DD, Wolverine? On the DC side i'd be interested in some good flash or maybe green lantern stories.

Slacking's recs are pretty good, esp. X-Force (does require some X-history/knowledge)

I'd go with something like Bendis' Daredevil run which was followed by Brubakers - both should be easy to find in tpbs and are two really good long-form stories.

Jason Aaron's Thor run from a few years back was great; Geoff John's entire Flash run and GL run were both great and should be really easy to find in trade. If you haven't read Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier I would put that high on your list to find - 60s take on the Justice League, amazing art and a great one off story.

Greg Pak's Planet Hulk story was really good (basis for a lot of the story that became Thor:Ragnarok) and in trade.

If you have any interest in Batman, I would try to track down the Grant Morrison trades of his run on the title (Batman & Son, the Black Glove, Batman: RIP, Batman: Last Rites, Batman & Robin trades, Batman Inc trades) - while it relies on the ENTIRE history of Batman, Morrison writes it all his way and makes it all into one coherent story that feeds his own story. Probably my favorite run in comics ever.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby schmoff on Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Bruce Jones run on Hulk
return of the monster
schmoff
Art Expert

Postby greenhorn1 on Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for the recs so far. I'll definitely keep my eye out for some of those. Planet hulk (and WWH) is actually about the only thing I bought in singles in the last decade or so but loved that run. I read uncanny x-men back in the late 80's/early 90's so hopefully i'll have enough background to not be completely lost with uncanny x-force.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby agr719 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 pm

I cannot recommend that Fraction Hawkeye run enough. For whatever reason it wasn't everyone's bag, but it's a fantastic street-level story with relatively small stakes, no history to really get bogged down in.
agr719
Art Expert

Image Image ImageImage
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.

Postby joshua on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:36 am

Does anyone by chance have any marvel legacy comics with a code in the back for the app quidd? They were in some issues from late last year. I can get a list of the ones with them if anyone here buys them.
joshua
Art Connoisseur

ImageImage
ISO...

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes