Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am

chalkdust wrote:I'm white, but am sure starting to dislike white people
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:05 pm

rubberneck wrote:
Guilty here of getting sucked into the political media onslaught in the last year or so.

It's so negative lately that I've just started to put on a music station in the evenings versus pumping negativity and arguments into my living room.

Kitchen table remains a media free zone always. Even my kid has blasted me lately when I've inadvertently picked it up cos of a notification while eating :lol:
We’ve all seen it when out to eat, right? Now it’s like “the only way to get our kids to sit through a meal.” So lame.

Gotta have those rules rubberneck, good for you. Dinner time around the table is soooo important. Leads to conversations and info you would never get from your kids otherwise. Instill the habit early and often - gathering around the table is not just about eating; plan on a good 10-15 minutes after eating just sitting and talking with each other. Priceless. We have a charging station downstairs where our phones go during meals and at night. My 16 year old has had to put her phone there by 7 o’clock every night since she has had a phone. No electronics in the bedroom in the hours leading up to bedtime although we do let her come and check on her phone before crashing for the night. As far as I know, she is the only one of her friends who has this kind of rule. And tbh, she likes it and has thanked us for having that rule. Taking the choice out of her hands eliminates that ever-present want/need to check your phone. I think she sleeps better for it. And considering she just wrapped up her junior year with a 94 average, 8 college credits and a 1300 on her SAT, I think it’s working for her. :D

Wifey and I have to fight the urge as well, and it’s hard sometimes, even for folks who love to read and make an effort to avoid electronics. For most of the country I think there is not even a thought as to how bad it is for you and they just let it wash over them at all times.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

RN, I've been talking about the effects of too much social media might have on our society, (present and future), for quite sometime now. I remember a time when I felt that I was spending too much time online. Mind you...I was a member on one forum, (expressobeans), and still felt I spent too much time online. I never even looked at FB until the last year, (family connections). Due to my concerns about time spent online, I decided to take classes at our local community college...screen printing, metal working, basic design. Loved it and learned so much.

This is also the reason why I started making weight bags as giveaways. I have a skill, but wasn't using it. It keeps me off the internet and I was doing something that brought me much joy.

The whole social media and the effect it has on family/friend relationships makes me sad. I can't change the world, but I can make changes within myself...learning new skills picking-up old hobbies/crafts that had been pushed aside and applying those skills to suit my current interests.
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Canada just legalized marijuana. That has big implications for US drug policy.
It’s the second country in the world to legalize pot, following Uruguay.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -bill-c-45

Canada, like the US, is part of international drug treaties that explicitly ban legalizing marijuana. Although activists have been pushing to change these treaties for years, they have failed so far — and that means Canada will be, in effect, in violation of international law in moving to legalize. (The US argues it’s still in accordance with the treaties because federal law still technically prohibits cannabis, even though some states have legalized it.)

For Canada’s ruling party, this fulfills a major campaign promise. When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Party was elected in 2015, one of the main promises he ran on was to legalize marijuana.

Canada.JPG
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
Guilty here of getting sucked into the political media onslaught in the last year or so.

It's so negative lately that I've just started to put on a music station in the evenings versus pumping negativity and arguments into my living room.

Kitchen table remains a media free zone always. Even my kid has blasted me lately when I've inadvertently picked it up cos of a notification while eating :lol:
We’ve all seen it when out to eat, right? Now it’s like “the only way to get our kids to sit through a meal.” So lame.

Gotta have those rules rubberneck, good for you. Dinner time around the table is soooo important. Leads to conversations and info you would never get from your kids otherwise. Instill the habit early and often - gathering around the table is not just about eating; plan on a good 10-15 minutes after eating just sitting and talking with each other. Priceless. We have a charging station downstairs where our phones go during meals and at night. My 16 year old has had to put her phone there by 7 o’clock every night since she has had a phone. No electronics in the bedroom in the hours leading up to bedtime although we do let her come and check on her phone before crashing for the night. As far as I know, she is the only one of her friends who has this kind of rule. And tbh, she likes it and has thanked us for having that rule. Taking the choice out of her hands eliminates that ever-present want/need to check your phone. I think she sleeps better for it. And considering she just wrapped up her junior year with a 94 average, 8 college credits and a 1300 on her SAT, I think it’s working for her. :D

Wifey and I have to fight the urge as well, and it’s hard sometimes, even for folks who love to read and make an effort to avoid electronics. For most of the country I think there is not even a thought as to how bad it is for you and they just let it wash over them at all times.
this is all a good way to go about it . . . I find it extremely difficult to enforce the "turn off the devices" by a certain time because I have my phone in front of me most of the night dealing with work, coaching, and some boards I sit on - stuff I can't usually get to during the day. So I always feel like a hypocrite telling them to put the phones off and away at a certain time.

The dinner time one is the one we've been good about keeping to - even when we are all on different schedules, at least two of us eat together, even if it's in front of the TV with no devices allowed. We try to sit at the table at least 3 times a week and even that is hard sometimes when both kids play sports and have practices/games at all different times.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Sounds about right, 3 times a week is a GOOD week when you have a teen going in 10 different directions at once. Plus she just got her license - we see even less of her. And I'd imagine it's even harder with multiple kids.

Also a bit torn on the eating in front of the TV thing... We definitely do it sometimes even though they say it's a big nono. But we usually turn on a Jeopardy from the DVR so maybe that makes it ok? :lol:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:46 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Sounds about right, 3 times a week is a GOOD week when you have a teen going in 10 different directions at once. Plus she just got her license - we see even less of her. And I'd imagine it's even harder with multiple kids.

Also a bit torn on the eating in front of the TV thing... We definitely do it sometimes even though they say it's a big nono. But we usually turn on a Jeopardy from the DVR so maybe that makes it ok? :lol:
ha! yeah, I try to force them to watch BBC News or history channel . . . sometimes it ends up being American Ninja Warrior.
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm not opposed to computer technology. In fact, I love the technical side of it...getting into the bones of a computer and what makes it work - hardware, operating systems and trying new software. Computer repair was another class that I finished... A+ computer repair certificate. Best couple of hundred dollars that I've ever spent.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm

The takedown of Chris Hardwick shows #MeToo has gone too far
https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/the-taked ... e-too-far/
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:21 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Sounds about right, 3 times a week is a GOOD week when you have a teen going in 10 different directions at once. Plus she just got her license - we see even less of her. And I'd imagine it's even harder with multiple kids.

Digital media penetration is definitely something that's starting to overwhelm, even where I feel I'm not 'one of them' millennial obsessives. Some younger colleagues can't attend a meeting, company lunch event or town hall without bringing their phone.

Kid is allocated video game/tv 'privilege' of 30 mins per day. Behavior chips away at his allotment of minutes. He has to work at gaining them back if he misbehaves. I also find by my spending time with him on tactile activities, drawing, lego or action figures means he actually wants less digital media. It's just so tempting to just give him the tablet after a 5am start to 6pm work day, to allow me have plenty of chill out time, but I also understand it's a temporary fix and a path to bigger issues down the line. Damn you, sensible inner monologue!

I believe watching tv while eating means less enjoyment of the actual food, more of a shoveling-down mentality approach as one's attention is elsewhere.

Meanwhile, my current client office network has all social media platforms like FB, IG, Twitter blocked for security reasons which means I'm blind until the evening and all the better for it. Resulted in me stepping back a lot more and adjusting my habits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm

And spending all day on EB instead.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Codeblue wrote:And spending all day on EB instead.
Alt-tab on one of my screens is a weakness for sure

8)

chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

The robots are coming, and I'll try it. ..... Wonder when the robots will start spitting their lubricants in for the rude customers?

The First Burger Built by a Robot Is About to Hit the Bay Area
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... e-bay-area
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Japanese...

Japanese worker punished for starting lunch three minutes early
Managers called TV news conference and bowed in apology at employee’s ‘deeply regrettable’ actions
Japan’s commitment to addressing its dismal record on work-life balance has been called into question after a civil servant was punished for “habitually” slipping away from his desk a few minutes early to buy a bento lunch.

The 64-year-old, an employee of the waterworks bureau in the western city of Kobe, was fined and reprimanded after he was found to have left his desk just three minutes before the start of his designated lunch break on 26 occasions over a seven-month period.

Senior officials at the bureau then called a televised news conference, where they described the man’s conduct as “deeply regrettable” and bowed in apology.

A spokesman for the bureau told AFP: “The lunch break is from noon to 1pm. He left his desk before the break.”

The worker had violated a public service law requiring officials to “concentrate on their jobs”, according to the bureau.
Edit: I guess I should add more:
Last month, the lower house passed a bill that caps overtime at 100 hours a month in response to a rise in the number of employees dying from karoshi, or death from overwork.

The government was forced to act following a public outcry over the death of Matsuri Takahashi, a 24-year-old employee of the advertising giant Dentsu, who killed herself in 2015 after being forced to work more than 100 hours overtime a month, including at weekends.

Takahashi’s case triggered calls to address a workplace culture that often forces employees to put in long hours to demonstrate their dedication.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Having worked in Europe, Australia and now here in US, Houston definitely feels the most like a treadmill. Part of that granted, is trying to avoid gridlock, meaning much earlier starts but the work day and project schedule is essentially a 10 hour day excluding the commute. Some meetings are scheduled at 6am or 7am because of work-share with China, Europe and India, so that's a certainly a new factor, to outside-the-norm work schedules in the last few years. A lot of companies are embracing this global outsourcing.

Related to Japan I spent a few weeks working there some time back and while in the offices there you could feel the tension and hierarchy at play. The entire staff would line up every morning to greet us and bow when we drove up, so awkward as a westerner. When we reviewed the work as the client, none of the staff would take a break until we ourselves did. This was irrespective of their lunch schedules and the other offices leaving. The work and client satisfaction supersedes all else. Admirable work ethic but it takes its toll on any employee over time.

Recent Report:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/02/ ... fe-balance