Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
fredo
Art God

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:39 pm

The moral unviverse arcs toward justice yet again!
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/m ... icle-click

Earlier this month, after an extensive forensic analysis, the video game adjudicator Twin Galaxies handed off the long-ago title — or the bragging rights at least — to Steve Wiebe, the mild-mannered math teacher familiar to fans of that film.

“It’s a sweet victory now to have it finally recognized,” Mr. Wiebe, 49, said.

His rival in the movie, Billy Mitchell, 52, the hot-sauce entrepreneur and former champion known for his thumbs-up poses and patriotic ties, has been cast from the record books and barred for life from being listed on Twin Galaxies leader boards.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm

In 1984, Prince recorded a song called "Nothing Compares 2 U," which, rather than release it himself, he sent to Paul "St. Paul" Peterson of The Family. The band, which Prince had assembled, recorded the track for Prince's label, Paisley Park Records, and it appeared on their debut album. But the song remained a largely unheard B-side until Sinead O'Connor covered it in 1990—a version that remains the best known recording of the song.

Even though Prince played the song live occasionally, the studio version that he originally recorded has never been heard—until Thursday, that is. Prince's estate, along with Warner Bros. Records, has released the original version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" written, arranged, performed, and produced by Prince.

It was recorded by Susan Rogers in 1984 at the Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Minnesota. As Rogers tells the Guardian about the day Prince recorded the track:

"One day, he went into a room with a notebook and, within an hour, emerged with the lyrics to Nothing Compares 2 U." Rogers, who witnessed many such bursts of creativity, remembers, “The song came out like a sneeze.” As usual, she rolled the tapes as Prince laid down instrument after instrument, mixing and overdubbing in the same session (Eric Leeds overdubbed the sax part three days later).

According to Rogers, Prince didn't want to release the track under his own name, because it was about a domestic life that he'd never had.
So it goes...
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Never been a Prince fan (heresy I know). Very talented musician (understatement) and a good songwriter, just not my musical wheelhouse style. Having said that, I never knew Prince originally wrote this song and after listening it has easily become my favorite of his. Thanks for sharing.
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:54 pm

:cheers:
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 pm

A man walking his dog sneered at me this morning while violently waving his one arm as I drove past. I'm gonna go ahead and call that a good omen.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 pm

You know, some guys would get a glass and say, y'know, that glass is half empty, other guys would say, that glass is half full. I peg you as a glass is half full kind of guy. amirite?
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Until the Dark One proves me wrong!
maroozer
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:25 am

Prince was the man. Some of those moves in that video...sweet jesus. Thanx for posting
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am

'Accidental Americans' fight to stop double taxation:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/ac ... ocid=ientp

IRS always comes with its hand out. We get stung in reverse. Superannuation is essentially Australian 401K. Except the IRS in its wisdom sees it as 'overseas income' and hence taxable. :hanging:

One of the reasons many don't apply for green cards and/or citizenship if only planning to only stay in US for a fixed timeframe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 am

Wah I'm making a fudge load more money here than I would in my own country but I have to pay more in taxes wah.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Codeblue wrote:Wah I'm making a fudge load more money here than I would in my own country but I have to pay more in taxes wah.
But just think of all the other prints I could be nabbing if it was in my pocket.

Submitted a basic query a few years back to IRS in July for a potential overpayment, their first response promptly came the following December, asking for more information. So it's good to know monies is going to an efficient and well organized government department.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
fredo
Art God

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Blame richfolk - they've hobbled the IRS and put the squeeze on Joe O'Shmoe to make up the diff.
Cragars
Art Expert

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Train station by my school has a little structure with plastic window panels. Cedar waxwings keep smacking into them, I've moved 5 of these little dudes to a shady spot to rest in peace. Gunna buy some matt finish clear spray and wait for the right time
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Wow.

Look at this comet's terrifically chaotic surface

https://boingboing.net/2018/04/25/terri ... -of-a.html
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 pm

^ Really cool!