Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 am

Dat Dow today... A small correction. #thanksobama
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 am

bubbie wrote:Dat Dow today... A small correction. #thanksobama
So, trump not gonna claim this like he did the gain?
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 am

I've been reading about social media's use of what's being called as, "brain hacking". Programmers are specifically hired to find ways to keep users addicted to social media. It's not a perfect world, to be sure, and adults can make their own decision on time spent online. I do, however, have serious concerns regarding the effect it has on undeveloped minds of our youth. Many of you will poo-poo these concerns. Does anyone else feel the same way that I do regarding the effect social media has on our youth?

http://humanetech.com/problem/
Unfortunately, what's best for capturing our attention isn't best for our well-being:

Snapchat turns conversations into streaks, redefining how our children measure friendship.
Instagram glorifies the picture-perfect life, eroding our self worth.
Facebook segregates us into echo chambers, fragmenting our communities.
YouTube autoplays the next video within seconds, even if it eats into our sleep.
https://habitlab.stanford.edu/
Use over 20 interventions to help you regain control of your browsing
Find out what works best for you: hiding feeds, removing clickbait, blocking videos, or one of many others
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 am

I completely agree. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say harmful, but it's certainly transformative. And has the potential to drastically change the way people growing up today interact with one another. Different doesn't always mean bad, and just because I may not be able to relate as well, doesn't immediately mean the new way is terrible because it's different than how I grew up. But I will say it's concerning, at least.
So it goes...
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am

Without going into detail, I can't say that my youth didn't contain a fair amount of anxiety. I'm going to say that a lot of those anxieties, (and overcoming them), are a part of growing-up/maturing. I just cannot imagine the anxiety that today's youth has to deal with...seemingly, constantly striving for approval...unbroken streaks and what-have-you.

I'm no expert by any means, I wonder how long it will take to actually see the repercussions of the effects on our youth. Perhaps it won't become apparent until they become adults? Will it be too late to correct certain behaviors by that time? Dunno'.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 am

I suppose a good place to start is to use this app for chrome. Make it a family thing...hold weekly family meetings (pizza night) to track time spent online. Every family member should set a goal for less time spent online - evidently, this app provides graphs/visuals to track.

https://habitlab.stanford.edu/
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 am

Old man shouts at computer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 am

Damn algorithms!
So it goes...
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am

rubberneck wrote:Old man shouts at computer!
Not really. (In my case, anyway.) I love the internet, if used properly. Most of what I do online is educational...tutorials, etc. Heh. Maybe that just makes me a really boring person. If so, I'm okay with that.

I am totally guilty of using Youtube's autoplay. The other sites I can do without.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 am

IWish wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Old man shouts at computer!
Not really. (In my case, anyway.) I love the internet, if used properly. Most of what I do online is educational...tutorials, etc. Heh. Maybe that just makes me a really boring person. If so, I'm okay with that.

I am totally guilty of using Youtube's autoplay. The other sites I can do without.
Like anything else it's a just tool. Peoples own personalities and predilections will dictate their behavior and (ab)use of it.

Being brought up knowing nothing else but its presence probably means some will rely on it more heavily than prior generations or see it as more significant than it is. TV was probably thought the same way back when tho. Being more interactive however and not a passive device can have greater consequences tho. Real-time responses and any idiot now having a forum or soapbox is something I dislike. True journalism and factual news is now less prevalent. For those who cant recognize same, it can lead to issues.

Take it all with a grain of salt imo.

IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 am

That's reasonable, RN, and helps me to see the other side of things.

Thing is...young parents (or parents soon to be), today, seem to already participate, (some heavily), on social media sites. I'm not out to save the world, but it all 'starts at home'. What kind of message will they be sending their children?

I'm not going to loose sleep over it...it's a subject that seems to be popping-up on the internet more often now. Especially, by those who have be deeply involved in social media programming in the past. Many are speaking-up now about the hazard to individual(s) well-being.

P.S. I don't have tv and rely on online news sites. I rarely read U.S. news...my go-to is usually BBC news - one tends to get a unbiased view that way. IMO, anyway.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 am

IWish wrote:That's reasonable, RN, and helps me to see the other side of things.

Thing is...young parents (or parents soon to be), today, seem to already participate, (some heavily), on social media sites. I'm not out to save the world, but it all 'starts at home'. What kind of message will they be sending their children?

I'm not going to loose sleep over it...it's a subject that seems to be popping-up on the internet more often now. Especially, by those who have be deeply involved in social media programming in the past. Many are speaking-up now about the hazard to individual(s) well-being.

P.S. I don't have tv and rely on online news sites. I rarely read U.S. news...my go-to is usually BBC news - one tends to get a unbiased view that way. IMO, anyway.
We actively monitor our son and his viewing/gaming habits so its seen as a 'bonus' or treat and not an expectation. We had to pull it back a bit when we left it be more than that, as we could see the addictive and time consuming behavior it almost became, this just over a few weeks around Christmas. Luckily he's become an avid book reader lately and also likes tactile games and toys but I can certainly see how it can quickly become a surrogate parent if you are not willing or perhaps capable to spend more time and effort on your kids. No judgment here, many parents are working full time and are needing time to complete other tasks, which means it can be utilized as a distraction. But like removal of any other addictive pursuits, the initial tantrum and tears eventually gives way to acceptance and focus on alternative hobbies.

Definite pet peeve is kids and parents eating with devices in hand. You're neither savoring the food or your time together. Genuinely believe the family dinner table should be a social-media-free zone and a time to interact with each other.

Right, I'm off to shout at my tablet... :!:

Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 am

My son is 7 and he has to earn his screen time by completing his chores and responsibilities around the house. Even then, he doesn't get any game time on school days. He's not on social media yet.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm

I hope to read more from those like you, RN and Kram.

Indeed. I should not judge, it's tough being a parent. Believe me, I know...I'm a single parent that raised a son. I'm sure that I allowed him a little bit too much time in front of the tv watching VCR movies, most often I was right there watching with him. I was, by no means, a perfect parent...but, I didn't have to deal with the internet back then and my son wasn't much of a gamer.

While raising my boy, I kept telling myself... "children are a reflection of their parents" and tried my best to set a good example. If I were raising him today...he'd probably hate me because of my views regarding internet/social media. To this day, he still has never forgiven me for not allowing him to watch the movie, "A Fish Called Wanda". I mean...he was like 10-11 years old and there was a fairly graphic sex scene. I laugh so much when he reminds me of that. There is just NO WAY I could watch a sex scene with my 10 yr. old kid. Seriously.
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram