Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

mfaith wrote:Apparently. Which is also why this has lost value: nobody votes for it anymore. Or at least not enough to compensate for all of the variety of releases. So any single concentrated effort could easily tip the scale. :?
Which is why the Art of the Year awards have become redundant. If a print isn't voted AOTW, then... you can't vote for it at the end of the year. A bit silly really.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 pm

I agree with ^ that.

Someone should create a thread here in anything goes throwing a print out they like and think should be voted into the art of the week. More people will actually remember to vote that way. I am sure it will be a fun thread as well.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm

DonPiano wrote:
mfaith wrote:Apparently. Which is also why this has lost value: nobody votes for it anymore. Or at least not enough to compensate for all of the variety of releases. So any single concentrated effort could easily tip the scale. :?
Which is why the Art of the Year awards have become redundant. If a print isn't voted AOTW, then... you can't vote for it at the end of the year. A bit silly really.
Unless I misunderstood what you're saying, that's not true. It doesn't have to win AotW to participate in the Art of the Year vote. Just has to have been nominated.
So it goes...
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 pm

That in itself seems a bit redundant too. Why isn't everything that was released in a year available to vote for? How many prints are there in a year?
The Curb

bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 pm

mfaith wrote:
DonPiano wrote:
Unless I misunderstood what you're saying, that's not true. It doesn't have to win AotW to participate in the Art of the Year vote. Just has to have been nominated.
And only that many get nominated? I guess people should not nominate more.

Pretty sure it would be a long and tedious list (three lists actually) if all of the prints were available in AOTY voting.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 pm

I imagine so. I wasn't aware that it was as long as the print is nominated. I'll try make a note to nominate the ones I like before the end of the year.
The Curb

mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 pm

DonPiano wrote:I imagine so. I wasn't aware that it was as long as the print is nominated. I'll try make a note to nominate the ones I like before the end of the year.
Totally. And it's not redundant at all. If you think about it, the Art of the Year vote becomes even more relevant! If the assumption is that the AotW votes are being affected by a combination of a reduction of voting in general, as well as an increase in the number of options (more prints, more publishers, more events, etc), thus watering down the regular votes, and giving an abnormal advantage to concentrated efforts to vote a single print in. Then you end up with a bunch of prints that only received a couple of votes each that aren't represented at all in the Art of the Week awards, but that ARE able to participate in the Yearly vote, which gets a lot more attention and participation. So it's a chance to rally around the prints that actually deserve it, rather than these FB group stunt prints.
So it goes...
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 pm

I didn't understand most of that, but I did nod and say, hmm, ok.
The Curb

bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Didn't realize it only had to be nominated either. But then I though there only 52 weeks in a year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Has to be nominated by at least 2 peeps to be eligible for AOTY. Even the junior mods don't even know how it works anymore.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

I got close. :lol: One person, two people, point still stands; every vote counts and even if something doesn't win the art of the week, you can still make a difference by getting it into the running for art of the year. :pint: Rock the vote.
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

Regardless, I do like this idea:
bubbie wrote:Someone should create a thread here in anything goes throwing a print out they like and think should be voted into the art of the week. More people will actually remember to vote that way. I am sure it will be a fun thread as well.
Definitely encourage folks to urge others into participating. More people that vote on a regular basis, the more valuable the weekly awards will become and as a result the more people will pay attention and vote in kind. So yeah, I'm totally into the idea.
So it goes...
canuck
Art Freak

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 am

AOTW sucks
squalie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 am

mfaith wrote:Regardless, I do like this idea:
bubbie wrote:Someone should create a thread here in anything goes throwing a print out they like and think should be voted into the art of the week. More people will actually remember to vote that way. I am sure it will be a fun thread as well.
Definitely encourage folks to urge others into participating. More people that vote on a regular basis, the more valuable the weekly awards will become and as a result the more people will pay attention and vote in kind. So yeah, I'm totally into the idea.
Fix art comments. Problem solved.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 am

squalie wrote:
mfaith wrote:Regardless, I do like this idea:
Fix art comments. Problem solved.
The Curb