Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
gorkie
Art Freak

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Got an invoice the other day for something I purchased overseas and I have to say I loved seeing this on the invoice...
Norway Artists.JPG
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Best political ad I've ever seen. :clap:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 725512002/
The video, posted Thursday, had nearly 280,000 views on YouTube as of early Friday afternoon and had earned praise from Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the smash Broadway hit Hamilton, who called it "the best political ad anyone's ever seen."
So it goes...
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Good ad
That's what she said
gorkie
Art Freak

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 pm

finneganm wrote:Good ad
Incredible.
fredo
Art God

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Wonder if they got permission to use Gimme Shelter-ish.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Paul McCartney wrote:I was going through a really difficult time around the autumn of 1968.

It was late in The Beatles’ career and we had begun making a new album, a follow-up to the White Album. As a group we were starting to have problems.

I think I was sensing that The Beatles were breaking up, so I was staying up too late at night, drinking, doing drugs, clubbing, the way a lot of people were at the time.

I was really living and playing hard. The other guys were all living out in the country with their partners, but I was still a bachelor in London with my own house in St. John’s Wood.

And that was kind of at the back of my mind also, that maybe it was about time I found someone, because it was before I got together with Linda.

So, I was exhausted!

Some nights I’d go to bed and my head would just flop on the pillow; and when I’d wake up I’d have difficulty pulling it off, thinking, “Good job. I woke up just then or I might have suffocated.”

Then one night, somewhere between deep sleep and insomnia, I had the most comforting dream about my mother who died when I was only 14.

She had been a nurse, my mum, and very hardworking, because she wanted the best for us. We weren’t a well-off family — we didn’t have a car, we just about had a television — so both of my parents went out to work, and mum contributed a good half to the family income.

At night when she came home, she would cook, so we didn’t have a lot of time with each other.

But she was just a very comforting presence in my life.

And when she died, one of the difficulties I had, as the years went by, was that I couldn’t recall her face so easily.

That’s how it is for everyone, I think.

As each day goes by, you just can’t bring their faces into your mind; you have to use photographs and reminders like that.

So in this dream 12 years later, my mother appeared, and there was her face, completely clear, particularly her eyes; and she said to me very gently, very reassuringly, “Let it be.”

It was lovely.

I woke up with a great feeling. It was really like she had visited me at this very difficult point in my life and gave me this message:

Be gentle, don’t fight things, just try and go with the flow and it all will work out.

So, being a musician, I went right over to the piano and started writing a song:

“When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me” ...Mary was my mother’s name ... “Speaking words of wisdom, let it be. There will be an answer, let it be.”

It didn’t take long.

I wrote the main body of it in one go, and then the subsequent verses developed from there:

“When all the broken-hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer, let it be.”

I thought it was special, so I played it to the guys and ‘round a lot of people, and later it became the title of the album, because it had so much value to me, and because it just seemed definitive, those three little syllables.

Plus, when something happens like that, as if by magic, I think it has a resonance that other people notice, too.

Not very long after the dream, I got together with Linda, which was the saving of me.

And if it was as if my mum had sent her, you could almost say. The song is also one of the first things Linda and I ever did together musically.

We went over to Abbey Road Studios one day, where the recording sessions were in place.

I lived nearby and often used to just drop in when I knew an engineer would be there and do little bits on my own.

And I just thought, “Oh, it would be good to try harmony on this.”

But I had a high harmony in mind, too high for me, and although Linda wasn’t a professional singer, I’d heard her sing around the house and knew she could hold a note and sing that high. So she tried it, and it worked and it stayed on the record. You can hear it to this day.

These days, the song has become almost like a hymn. We sang it at Linda’s memorial service.

And after Sept. 11 (2001), the radio played it a lot, which made it the obvious choice for me to sing when I did the benefit concert in New York City.

Even before Sept. 11, people used to lean out of cars and trucks and say, “You, Paul, let it be.”

So those words are really very special to me, because not only did my mum come to me in a dream and reassure me with them at a very difficult time in my life — and sure enough, things did get better after that — but also, in putting them into a song and recording it with The Beatles, it became a reassuring, healing statement for other people and that even after death, because there really is no death of who we are "there is still a chance that they will see" eternal peace and happyness.
So it goes...
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 pm

mfaith wrote:
Paul McCartney wrote:I was going through a really difficult time around the autumn of 1968.

It was late in The Beatles’ career and we had begun making a new album, a follow-up to the White Album. As a group we were starting to have problems.

I think I was sensing that The Beatles were breaking up, so I was staying up too late at night, drinking, doing drugs, clubbing, the way a lot of people were at the time.

I was really living and playing hard. The other guys were all living out in the country with their partners, but I was still a bachelor in London with my own house in St. John’s Wood.

And that was kind of at the back of my mind also, that maybe it was about time I found someone, because it was before I got together with Linda.

So, I was exhausted!

Some nights I’d go to bed and my head would just flop on the pillow; and when I’d wake up I’d have difficulty pulling it off, thinking, “Good job. I woke up just then or I might have suffocated.”

Then one night, somewhere between deep sleep and insomnia, I had the most comforting dream about my mother who died when I was only 14.

She had been a nurse, my mum, and very hardworking, because she wanted the best for us. We weren’t a well-off family — we didn’t have a car, we just about had a television — so both of my parents went out to work, and mum contributed a good half to the family income.

At night when she came home, she would cook, so we didn’t have a lot of time with each other.

And when she died, one of the difficulties I had, as the years went by, was that I couldn’t recall her face so easily.

As each day goes by, you just can’t bring their faces into your mind; you have to use photographs and reminders like that.

So in this dream 12 years later, my mother appeared, and there was her face, completely clear, particularly her eyes; and she said to me very gently, very reassuringly, “Let it be.”

It was lovely.

I woke up with a great feeling. It was really like she had visited me at this very difficult point in my life and gave me this message:

Be gentle, don’t fight things, just try and go with the flow and it all will work out.

So, being a musician, I went right over to the piano and started writing a song:

“When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me” ...Mary was my mother’s name ... “Speaking words of wisdom, let it be. There will be an answer, let it be.”

It didn’t take long.

I wrote the main body of it in one go, and then the subsequent verses developed from there:

“When all the broken-hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer, let it be.”

I thought it was special, so I played it to the guys and ‘round a lot of people, and later it became the title of the album, because it had so much value to me, and because it just seemed definitive, those three little syllables.

Plus, when something happens like that, as if by magic, I think it has a resonance that other people notice, too.

Not very long after the dream, I got together with Linda, which was the saving of me.

And if it was as if my mum had sent her, you could almost say. The song is also one of the first things Linda and I ever did together musically.

We went over to Abbey Road Studios one day, where the recording sessions were in place.

I lived nearby and often used to just drop in when I knew an engineer would be there and do little bits on my own.

But I had a high harmony in mind, too high for me, and although Linda wasn’t a professional singer, I’d heard her sing around the house and knew she could hold a note and sing that high. So she tried it, and it worked and it stayed on the record. You can hear it to this day.

These days, the song has become almost like a hymn. We sang it at Linda’s memorial service.

And after Sept. 11 (2001), the radio played it a lot, which made it the obvious choice for me to sing when I did the benefit concert in New York City.

Even before Sept. 11, people used to lean out of cars and trucks and say, “You, Paul, let it be.”

So those words are really very special to me, because not only did my mum come to me in a dream and reassure me with them at a very difficult time in my life — and sure enough, things did get better after that — but also, in putting them into a song and recording it with The Beatles, it became a reassuring, healing statement for other people and that even after death, because there really is no death of who we are "there is still a chance that they will see" eternal peace and happyness.
Good stuff sir! :pint:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 pm

mfaith wrote:

So, I was exhausted!

It was lovely.

It didn’t take long.

Good stuff sir! :pint:
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 am

That’s pretty cool, mfaith. Thanks for posting. Quoting such a long post right under it, on the other hand, not so much ;)
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 am

Vancouver feels like the “mental-health-problems” capital of the world. Every time. I mean the amount of people with visible mental problems is pretty staggering.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am

Talk about abuse of power. Dude is stressed af, that heaving breathing throughout cos his daughter is dating the driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
zefarrett
Art Freak

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Has anyone mounted a tv to a wall that has steel studs behind the dry wall instead of wood? Do I need toggle bolts? I really don’t want my tv to fall... :lol:
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:52 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm

zefarrett wrote:Has anyone mounted a tv to a wall that has steel studs behind the dry wall instead of wood? Do I need toggle bolts? I really don’t want my tv to fall... :lol:
Yes you will need to drill and use toggle bolts. One caveat - you should not use a wall mount that allows the tv to be pulled out from the wall. The metal studs are not sufficiently strong enough to hold the weight if the TV is out 5-10 inches from the wall.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... ling-mount
Last edited by ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump