What are you eating right now?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby IWish on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 am

I sent a bunch of the caramels home with a friend - this was in an email she sent me. Gonna' save this review to post at my online candy shop. :lol:

Oh! And your caramels! I did not share and ate them all in 24 hours. They are like crack. I am not kidding.

:humble brag:
IWish
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Licorice Caramels...homemade for the first time. Technically, these are actually 'anise' caramels. Anise, licorice (black) and fennel all have a similar flavor, but are entirely different plants. I doubled the anise extract, for more flavor and with the real butter flavor mixed-in...absolutely DELICIOUS!

I want to try and make buttered rum caramels next time. Sounds so good...

IWish
Art Expert

Postby rikkirattoe on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 pm

YUM!
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Postby IWish on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:16 pm

They are so good. I wish I'd made these a long time ago. I've been making traditional caramel for years with nuts...pecans, walnuts - whatever I have on-hand. The licorice are totally my favorite. I think I'm the only person in my family that likes black licorice...this recipe made A LOT. I actually should have only made a half recipe. Yeesh. Maybe my neighbors will want some.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby rikkirattoe on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:20 pm

IWish wrote:They are so good. I wish I'd made these a long time ago. I've been making traditional caramel for years with nuts...pecans, walnuts - whatever I have on-hand. The licorice are totally my favorite. I think I'm the only person in my family that likes black licorice...this recipe made A LOT. I actually should have only made a half recipe. Yeesh. Maybe my neighbors will want some.

You're a good neighbor :)
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Postby IWish on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:16 pm

My postal carrier LOVED the caramels...he said, "they melt in your mouth". (It's true.) I sent him off with a pound bag to share with other carriers at the station. Gonna' buy ingredients, tomorrow, to make butter rum flavor. I want to bag a variety of flavors in half pound bags and, hopefully, sell them at a yard sale in two weeks.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I made steak soft tacos for the first time. White onion/cilantro garnish. Delicious. IMO, this is what a real taco should look like. None of that ground beef stuff (although I eat those too.) I much prefer these flour tortilla soft tacos, though. The real deal.

Marinade/recipe (MOJO):
(No need for mortar and pestle...finely chop is fine.) Marinade for at least 1 hour - can marinade overnight.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xwNPO ... sp=sharing

https://imgur.com/a/zsbXG

IWish
Art Expert

Postby piper27 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Throw that flower tortilla in the garbage and use a corn one
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby IWish on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Corn taco for hard shell ground beef tacos...okay. I don't think I'd like soft corn taco shells. The flour tortillas go better w/steak, IMO.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Soft Blue Corn tacos are the only truth.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby piper27 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 pm

There is an awesome place here in Mn that makes the best corn tortillas. We buy them by the dozens. Here's how we do tacos. With homemade agua de jamaica

Last edited by piper27 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piper27
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 pm

If all I had on-hand were corn...I'd use them. I'm not so closed-minded not to give it a try. For now, it's flour. I'll use 'em to make breakfast burritos too. Yum! I made some killer tamales over Thanksgiving...red beef and the others were jalapeno/onion/cheese. Delicious! I get better at making tamales every year. Love those things.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:29 am

I recently made a dessert that called for a lot of fresh lemon juice and lemon rind. Since I was using so many lemons, I wanted to see if there were any other uses for the rind; other than, just tossing them out. I'm glad that I researched this.

Lemon peels contain as much as 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself. To name a few: Vitamin C, Vitamin A, beta carotene, folate, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Lemon peels are health rejuvenators in eradicating toxic elements in the body.

I bought a kitchen tool called a 'citrus tool multi-zesteur' which basically finely shaves off the yellow rind (you don't want the white part of the peel). I put the plate of rind outside (covered with my grease splatter screen) for a couple of days to dry...then ground in my coffee grinder.

Lemon (and lime) powder is great to add in ice water. I'm one of those people that isn't a fan of drinking plain 'ole water and I drink a lot more now that I'm adding natural flavoring.

IWish
Art Expert

Postby rhythmgtr5 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 pm

piper27 wrote:There is an awesome place here in Mn that makes the best corn tortillas. We buy them by the dozens. Here's how we do tacos. With homemade agua de jamaica

Where in MN do you get the tortillas? Those tacos look great :drool:
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Postby piper27 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

I get all my meat (carne asada and al pastor) from a mexican grocery store called Panaderia Supermercado Loma Bonita. On Central and 45th. The tortillas are called La Perla I get them there and I've found them at a few cub foods too
piper27
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes