Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby jjttdw on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 pm

letstalkprints wrote:Don't know if this is a pet peeve but it bugs me. The Carly Simon song "You're So Vain". If you're not familiar with the song she sings "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you". Well, whoever she is singing the song about is not vain because the song freaking is about them. Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.


LOL. They may still be vain though.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5168
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm

letstalkprints wrote:Don't know if this is a pet peeve but it bugs me. The Carly Simon song "You're So Vain". If you're not familiar with the song she sings "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you". Well, whoever she is singing the song about is not vain because the song freaking is about them. Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.


...that's the point...

That Carly hadn't said who the song was about for the longest time (it's Warren Beatty), means that anybody who knows Carly Simon may very well have thought she in fact wrote it about them. So, it could have not be about one person, but instead, many.
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check


Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby Codeblue on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Supposedly only teh second verse is about that duke.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49999
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Think the "you" changes from general to specific throughout. Either way, Mick Jagger sings a pretty mean backup.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24945
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby letstalkprints on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Chorus is general, verses are specific.
User avatar
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm

You're so vain.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24945
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby mfaith on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Reznor used the line (guess he was paying homage?) in his "Starfuckers, Inc." song from The Fragile (aka the best album of all time...), which was undoubtedly about Marilyn Manson. I like it precisely because of that intentional (unavoidable) accusation. It's sort of the point. :D

All our pain
How did we ever get by without you?
You're so vain
I bet you think this song is about you

Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?
Don't you?


User avatar
mfaith
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 48284
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Remember reading that the Carly/Manson bloodfeud nearly took the lives of Dan Fogelberg and Jim Messina one night. On a yacht.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24945
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby IbisMummy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm

letstalkprints wrote:Don't know if this is a pet peeve but it bugs me. The Carly Simon song "You're So Vain". If you're not familiar with the song she sings "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you". Well, whoever she is singing the song about is not vain because the song freaking is about them. Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.


That has bugged the ever-loving fudge out of me since the 70's. It's Warren Beatty, by the way; and the song is, abso drymounting lutely, about him.
User avatar
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Austin, Tx
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 pm

No. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It isn't about Warren. It's about me, Steve Perry.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24945
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:12 pm

fredo wrote:No. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It isn't about Warren. It's about me, Steve Perry.


fredo.

It's about you.
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check


Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby Codeblue on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Obvs about James Taylor.
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49999
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Does anybody even know who James Taylor is anymore?
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check


Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby mfaith on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

DonPiano wrote:Does anybody even know who James Taylor is anymore?

I love James Taylor
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 48284
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 pm

I like the guy quite a lot, but he's not talked about anymore, which is sad.
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8059
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check


Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Irishman12 and 1 guest