Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't have pets...I sorta' get it, though. I have un-followed at least one person on FB because I just couldn't take all the pet photos posted. A person can only take so much.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm

I just love my cats. No interest in having kids.

The responsibility and sacrifices that comes with kids is something I have thought long and hard about and know its not for me.

I do not think its the same thing other that I care for them and they rely on me for care.

Thats all.
Last edited by 35mmpaul on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

IWish wrote: I have un-followed at least one person on FB because I just couldn't take all the pet photos posted. A person can only take so much.
^^Believe me, people feel the same way about kid photos
agr719
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:24 pm

But, you don't understand. See, my kid is the cutest kid ever. Sooo...
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:25 pm

IWish
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm

RadRacing wrote:^^Believe me, people feel the same way about kid photos
Oh, I def get that. Totally.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:27 pm

35mmpaul wrote:The responsibility and cost is not the same at all.

But on the base level that its a living organism that I feed and care and it relies on me for those things.

Thats about it.
Crops up alot on FB threads, both sides arguing their corner. Some say the emotional attachment and responsibility is similar to a child. It depends on what ones expectations of responsibility and interaction are.

But since you can't have true actual communication or an emotional relationship with an animal similar to a child and the value of life and longevity is lesser, it's just not equivalent. Expecations are set differently.

There comes a point where an animal lover either euthanizes or passes on medical treatment for their animal. Parents would never do that unless the condition was terminal and quality of life was preferred. Human life just has more emotional worth and depth.

Animals are always pets, never partners, except on some dodgy websites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm

jjttdw wrote:
bryndavies wrote:The Orlando FL airport. drymount this place.
Please tell me you are not doing Disney with kids that young

drymount no. Sounds like hell. Just spent a week in another version of hell, inlaws spot in st Augustine.
ImageT.K.C.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

rubberneck wrote:

But on the base level that its a living organism that I feed and care and it relies on me for those things.

Thats about it.
Crops up alot on FB threads, both sides arguing their corner. Some say the emotional attachment and responsibility is similar to a child. It depends on what ones expectations of responsibility and interaction are.

But since you can't have true actual communication or an emotional relationship with an animal similar to a child and the value of life and longevity is lesser, it's just not equivalent. Expecations are set differently.

There comes a point where an animal lover either euthanizes or passes on medical treatment for their animal. Parents would never do that unless the condition was terminal and quality of life was preferred. Human life just has more emotional worth and depth.

I agree with that mostly.

But to argue semantics just for fun and not for seriousness.

Would say on a very basic level you very much interact and communicate with an animal. It's not words, but tone and gestures. They can communicate sadness, hunger, and play, just like babies do. But agree it is not the same. Because yes they don't have the brain capacity or vocal chords for communication.

People do in fact refuse treatment and pass on medical procedures for young children (vaccines, or for religious reasons) or elderly people (hospice, dnr) Vaguely tangentially very minimally similar, but not the same.

I think we can all agree that having a little love in your life aint a bad thing.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Thats about it.

Would say on a very basic level you very much interact and communicate with an animal. It's not words, but tone and gestures. They can communicate sadness, hunger, and play, just like babies do. But agree it is not the same. Because yes they don't have the brain capacity or vocal chords for communication.

People do in fact refuse treatment and pass on medical procedures for young children (vaccines, or for religious reasons) or elderly people (hospice, dnr) Vaguely tangentially very minimally similar, but not the same.

I think we can all agree that having a little love in your life aint a bad thing.
Define 'love' tho... 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

if you feel safe with them, and they feel safe with you. in the simplest definition.

we are animals just like they are.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:11 pm

rubberneck wrote:Over compensating pet lovers who feel the need to plaster the rear of the vehicle in stickers for every animal association ever and 'witty' pet lover sticker.

We get it, you don't have kids or are in a same sex relationship but your multiple pets are just like kids too...
Sounds like they just have bad taste. What are they (over)compensating for RN?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Thats about it.

I have a cat, a dog, fish, and two kids . . . I totally get what you're saying Paul and when pet owners get in this argument with parents, and vice versa. My argument: The dog or cat would survive without you. Pretty easily, actually. A child until at least 10ish would not.

(edit: and my statement is just for semantics, not serious about arguing this at all and don't mean to offend anyone . . . I don't get upset with people thinking pets are the equivalent to kids, without having kids, there's no way to understand how far apart those things are.)
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

^ This and also there is a pretty good chance that if you devote as much time and attention to a child as you would to a dog, the child will grow up to be as smart as a dog. Like I said, it is not even remotely the same.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 pm

ok.