Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:16 am

when websites don't let you drag and drop images easily.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 am

35mmpaul wrote:when websites don't let you drag and drop images easily.
I'll add to that. When websites _try_ to stop you from copying an image's url. As if it's not super easy to pop open dev tools and get it anyway. Pain in my ass when gallery sites do it on shows I'm trying to enter into the db.
So it goes...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 am

Thief!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
lujborg
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:07 am

mfaith wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:when websites don't let you drag and drop images easily.
I'll add to that. When websites _try_ to stop you from copying an image's url. As if it's not super easy to pop open dev tools and get it anyway. Pain in my ass when gallery sites do it on shows I'm trying to enter into the db.

That's an interesting topic with EB being a for profit corporation. When you as an admin steal the images from those sites who are preventing you from doing so (on purpose so others can't profit from their work) are you opening EB up to liability? sure seems that way.
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
fredo
Art God

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 am

just a foil for me today, thanks
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 pm

lujborg wrote: EB being a for profit corporation.
major lolz on this one.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
TheGeneralDean
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm

How Captain Crunch is delicious, but also cuts the roof of my mouth.

Speaking of Captain's, how Captain America has served honorably for decades and hasn't made Major yet.

Because "Major America" also sounds cool to me.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Make Captain America Great Again.
So it goes...
lujborg
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
major lolz on this one.

That's what the filing says!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Where's the new EB beta site amirite?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 pm

lujborg wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
major lolz on this one.

When EB starts charging a fee to sell at the new site...that would make them for profit, right? (P.S. Not suggesting there's anything wrong with that (charging a fee.)
lujborg
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 pm

IWish wrote:
lujborg wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
major lolz on this one.

When EB starts charging a fee to sell at the new site...that would make them for profit, right? (P.S. Not suggesting there's anything wrong with that (charging a fee.)

Let's not forget that there has always been money coming in from ebay affiliate links on the site. Definitely enough between that and donations to have kept the lights on all these years and then some. The hat in hand came out to do the "upgrades" that they finally figured out how to get spec'd and estimated. Eb never stopped making money. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. I'm just commenting on the fact that copyright holders may care more when the content thief is profiting from the imagery vs. it being used in a classroom setting for example.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 pm

So it goes...
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 am

lujborg wrote: I'm just commenting on the fact that copyright holders may care more when the content thief is profiting from the imagery vs. it being used in a classroom setting for example.
Of course, the proper thing to do is to get approval from the artist, first, to use the imagery. I have doubts that it would be an issue in these types of situations...free exposure.

It's not as if EB is advertising or mass-producing a "product" to sell. They're just acting as a clearing-house for art sales. Is this any different than an online auction service? I dunno', maybe I'm just lying to myself because I make custom weight bags using artists imagery; that would make me a hypocrite to say otherwise. Although, as mentioned, I don't make a profit when adding images to bags. At. All. The little extra that is charged for images is at my cost for materials. (most often less than cost), and I do not charge extra labor for added images. I dunno', again, maybe I'm just lying to myself...I feel as if it's creating exposure to the art/artists - sort of free advertising.

I often wonder at the thought process of some people. There doesn't seem to ever be any issues brought-up about those who openly advertise their pb services for profit. Serious question: How is that so easily accepted in comparison to...say EB providing a clearing-house service for a small fee, or in my case providing a service at cost/less than cost? I'm not trying to make this about me, whatsoever. It's just something I've thought about over the years...the logic that some people use to separate what's is acceptable (or not.)
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:00 am

Codeblue wrote:Where's the new EB beta site amirite?
luls