Raffle / (Waffle WTF)

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 pm

Hi -

Talk to me about raffles and why the drymount people call them waffles? See them all over the place on particular artist groups. Perhaps I just don't know enough about 'em, but thought in the day they were scams or something similar.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:29 pm

most likely because raffles are illegal. they are considered gambling in many states.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 pm

so someone wanting to sell a particular print sells enough raffle tickets to cover their desired print cost and one "lucky" winner gets it? I don't see the hype. Seems like a win-win for the seller, and fraud opportunity galore.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:38 pm

Let's say you want $500 for a print, but it goes for around $350. You sell 50 tickets at $10 each, people get a 1/50 chance, and you get the $500 instead of the $350 from a direct sale.

Also waffle instead of raffle since that word gets searched etc.

Also...
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:46 pm

also the same group that is always selling and everyone comments "great price" or "get this before I do" when the selling price is 15-20% higher than everywhere else, and if not higher.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Thx 4 reminding me yet again why i don't dug wit fb groups.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
howdyall
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:26 pm

half of them are deep with taper alts - no trusting any of them. That dude has dozens of alts and probably more nobody knows about waiting in the wings, all to keep his latest scam going

the alts aren't even for avoiding facebook moderation, they're strictly for getting around the amount of people who have blocked him and that he's blocked so he can keep running scams on people who have caught him red-handed defrauding people and pumping his own sales
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:39 pm

Fun fact: in the bourbon world they're referred to as "razzles." And they're often determined by the Illinois Pick 3 Fireball number since that runs twice per day.
ACCBiggz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:29 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:39 pm
Fun fact: in the bourbon world they're referred to as "razzles." And they're often determined by the Illinois Pick 3 Fireball number since that runs twice per day.
Card world calls them "razzes" or "lines". Although they usually don't use lotteries like in the print world with Powerball. They tend to use live streams of Random.org randomizers. It's interesting to see the differences between hobbies.

All of these raffles are common across collecting groups. You just have to be mindful of who you are joining with. Personally, I've never had an issue of joining any but I also don't just send my money to random folks I don't recognize in these groups.

I never have a problem with people putting a value higher than the print. It's up to the player to decide if the odds are worth it. It's gambling. If it's overvalued, it generally won't fill and die. However, it's exceedingly rare. I don't see many being sold above market and most groups I'm in have nonsense rules keeping people from doing it.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:23 pm

I never knew raffles were illegal. Must be legal in my state. Are charity raffles legal as long as its a legit charity like The Human Fund?

Edit: Looks like Utah is the only state that doesnt allow any type of raffle and Iowa only allows charities from Iowa state licensed charities.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 pm

They're not allowed on fb or paypal is my understanding, which is why peeps do shady fudge to get around the rules. Nothing to do with state law per se.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:51 pm

it's stunning that misspelling something avoids the law :lol: :roll:

chicken fudge stuff - just lube for tax evasion charge :lol:
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:18 am

peeps accounts have gotten reported and banned for running them. paypal flags the transactions too. it's a whole big thing.

great way to get about 25% over current market value though if it goes well!
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:34 pm

The valuation/pricing on this one group is insane. Everything is way overpriced but as a raffle no one really cares as they’re only spending ~$20 or whatever a spot. It’s bonkers. Everything is raffled off and seems to be hottt. I don’t obviously get it. Regularly see foilz going for $800-$1000 easy on this group when they’d go unsold on the ‘bay.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 pm

Which group? Sounds like its foistin time!