CGC “Graded” Posters

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:07 pm

Yes, I’m still alive & all is well Someone famous once said “No one truly leaves EB”

Has anyone used CGC to have one or more of their posters or grails graded?

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/servic ... rt-posters

If so, Pros vs. Cons?

I know, I know posters are meant to be hung on walls blah…blah…blah

I’m a left over from the old guard so feel free to fudge in my thread about anything other than the subject, it will warm my heart knowing things still remain the same around here. Just don’t get my thread locked you animals.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:15 pm

Still making highly risky stock picks or we done wit dat?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:27 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:15 pm
Still making highly risky stock picks or we done wit dat?
I’ve moved on from that and I’m now making highly risky and questionable life decisions. It’s a higher gamble and makes you appreciate the taste of liquor. Plus, it makes me feel young again!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:28 pm

Story time!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:30 pm

So I met a bird who is half my age…
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:33 pm

Ah midlife crisis time came a bit early .
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:39 pm

I call it a mid life awakening!
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:08 am

they encapsulate the poster in a plastic sleeve and put an arbitrary grade on the outside.

I don't really understand the point of doing this.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:32 am

I'm not huge into classic posters, have a few. I honestly wouldn't want to buy a pre packaged poster like that. Would be curious to hear form those that collect heavily. Walking around the TRPS hall this weekend, I didn't see many graded posters at all among the classics.

I think it's silly, but understand grading things like centering, alignment and print quality of something made by the millions by a machine (sports cards) .... but posters? They are usually limited, usually observed by a human in the printing process who already removes the printing errors ... and then most others can grade condition by eyeing it. Feel it's overkill to grade posters.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:38 pm

jojobadass wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:08 am
they encapsulate the poster in a plastic sleeve and put an arbitrary grade on the outside.

I don't really understand the point of doing this.
Jojo my guy. Still keeping the “donks” in order around here? Hope all is well
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:46 pm

pewter14 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:32 am
I'm not huge into classic posters, have a few. I honestly wouldn't want to buy a pre packaged poster like that. Would be curious to hear form those that collect heavily. Walking around the TRPS hall this weekend, I didn't see many graded posters at all among the classics.

I think it's silly, but understand grading things like centering, alignment and print quality of something made by the millions by a machine (sports cards) .... but posters? They are usually limited, usually observed by a human in the printing process who already removes the printing errors ... and then most others can grade condition by eyeing it. Feel it's overkill to grade posters.
How would you even get a poster to them? I could imagine the look when it arrives rolled in a tube.

As far as grading a newer poster this system has to be some what flawed. I’m almost certain that it Chuck Sperry wanted to print 50 perfect posters he would be more than capable of doing so.

With the huge mark up in price for graded sports cards I think it’s only a matter of time before it trickles down to the poster world.

Would never rolled a poster vs a rolled poster be graded the same. I’m guessing about 99% posters that are printed are rolled to begin with
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:27 pm

Good to see you rugby! Whatcha benchin these days?

Grading is just another level of this hobby to nerd out on. People give EBers fudge cause they want “mint” prints with no soft corners or imperfections; this is just an extension of that analness. I do think there are different levels of quality and assume that the folks doing this grading know their stuff. Maybe that’s a weak assumption, but there are always people willing to go to the furthest lengths in every hobby. I’ll also add that I’ve been getting more inquiries from eBay buyers about grading. These are the people I will not sell to. : )

PS - I’m gonna crack up when I see my first graded Pollock. “This ink smudge here is indicative of the utmost headiness and thusly this is a fine example of a 9.9 Astronaut.”
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 pm

It's just a money ploy.

Put your print in a mylar sleeve and call it what you want. Mr. R's grading system.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:44 pm

It has ruined used video games market and the official graders are prover scammers. The idiot that showed up on pawn stars. Ive bitched about them here. They are partnered with Heritage Auctions. Its just contributing to a mess and hopefully doesnt become a thing with posters. Dont need to create and pay a gate keeper.
As Tommy Boys Dad said, "I could stamp fudge on a box and call it guaranteed..."

Na it was "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed..."
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:42 pm

PSA, BGS, and SGC (mostly PSA now tho) rule the sports card market and make a fortune doing it. Kinda makes some sense there, but damn silly on the hung-on-the-wall side of things.

This thread is packed w/ EB old guard, btw...
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6