Scam Alert!

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby kasern on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 am

Hi!

I'm getting really tired of spending time with this case, so I'll try to keep this short. But I want to make a post to try to prevent others from getting scammed by this user.

So this summer I bought Mondo's The Shark print from user "PaulKnoop" here on EB. He didn't want to use PayPal, and as naive as I am I agreed to pay using traditional bank transfer. The price we agreed on was € 525, including tracked shipping (around $ 600). He's located in the Netherlands, and I'm located in Norway.

After I paid he informed me that he didn't have the print in hand, as he was waiting for a replacement from Mondo. Would have been nice if he told me that BEFORE I paid for the print I thought, but it didn't necessarily have to be a scam. A couple of weeks later he said it had arrived to him, and I asked if he could mark down the value on the package when shipping, as this would have saved me a lot of trouble. (Art is tax-free in Norway, but the people working at the customs are no art experts, so pick up the package I would have to first pay taxes for it, then get the tax money refunded after proving that this was actually an art piece). He said he couldn't do this and gave me two options: Either ship it untracked or ship it tracked but then he would have to mark the value at double what I paid, € 1050 (I still don't know how this would make sense). He knew that I didn't want to do the latter option cause that would mean that I would have to pay an extreme amount of taxes. After discussing this back and forth, I had no choice but to agree with sending it untracked, it's not like he was going to refund me the money at this time. He also told me that it would take 4-5 weeks for the package to get to me, and that there were no faster shipping methods. At his point I was 99% sure he was never going to ship it, and that this was a scam. I asked him to get the receipt/reference number for the shipment, which he never sent me. Cause although it was untracked we live in 2018, you can always get some kind of proof that you shipped something.

The weeks went by, and of course the print never came. I saw that he had relisted the print for sale here on EB shortly after he allegedly shipped it. I reached out to him, he didn't respond. A couple of days ago I reached out again saying I want my money back or else, and I quote: "I would take further action". This probably made him scared and he replied with more lies. Basically he's saying that he's an honest person and that he shipped it, but he can't remember what day/week he shipped it or what postal office/shipping company he used. And that he paid cash, so he cant find out. I mean, come on?! Originally we also agreed that if the print, against all odds should get lost on the way, we would split the loss and he would transfer half of my money back. So this was my last hope. I said that if he would do that, I would consider the case closed and not take it the Norwegian police. To this he's saying that I cant prove that I never got the print and are just trying to scam him so therefore he won't transfer the money. After I said I can prove this (because the Norwegian postal office keeps track of all packages sent my my address) he just replied that he has been "advised by his authorities to withhold on doing any payment". I have not heard form him since.

Is there theoretically a chance that all of the above are coincidences and that this guy is as honest as he says? Yes. Is there theoretically a chance that we'll have world peace by the end of this year? Yes.

I'm now in contact with both my bank and the local police, and they are luckily for me taking the case seriously. A police report will be made.
kasern

Postby ROOKIE on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 am

Always pay with PayPal G&S / Always ask for pictures before paying / Never mark down the value on such valuable print / Never accept a shipment without tracking
ROOKIE
Art Enthusiast

Postby bert on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 am

If you've paid by bank transfer, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just send it tracked with a low value. If it gets damaged/lost, that'll be your risk to take on the chin. If you'd paid by Paypal, then I can understand as you could file a claim. The bit about him trying to trade/sell the print after he'd claimed to have shipped it to you seems pretty clear cut though. I hope the police help you out.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if a seller refuses to accept Paypal these days (especially if you offer to cover the fees), I move on to another seller. It's too big a red flag.
bert
Art Expert

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=177620

Looks like ya got bamboozled
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby Kramerica on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

He is definitely ripping you off. I have seen him around some of the facebook groups, mondo trader in particular I believe. Call his ass out there.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby jjttdw on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

Fly down there and kick his ass, Viking style. i thought these types of scams were more of an American thing.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby SPAC04 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:49 am

Oof
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am

this guy sucks.

saw he was in some of the FB groups awhile back but can no longer find him, I assume he's in there as an alt.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby MarsFireKeeper on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 am

Damn good to know.
MarsFireKeeper
New User

Postby kasern on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:15 am

I also reached out to Mondo a while back and asked if they could check if this person ever ordered the print from them in the first place. If not, that would have given me definite proof that he never had the print. But sadly they wouldn't help me.
kasern

Postby oldgreg on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:59 am

Paul sucks. Best of luck getting your money back OP
oldgreg
Art Connoisseur

Postby WolfBrewer on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Call his ass at work and tell him what he needs to hear. Easy google searches for him in amsterdam, assuming he still lives there.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Postby Buckhammer on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm

That guy is a POS, every post he made on FB was a troll or something negative. Hope the police bust his ass. Looks like he doesnt even have a fb account anymore.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?

Return to Anything Goes