eBay posting question

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby redchiroptera on Sun May 27, 2018 2:34 pm

I'm looking at buying a second hand screen print on eBay. The price makes sense but the one thing I'm concerned about is some pictures. The seller told me the print # when I asked but in all the pictures it's obviously purposefully covered, which just seems weird. Is this a common practice and if so why? If not, should I be concerned about this?

(Hopefully I posted this to the right board, if not, sorry)
Thanks
redchiroptera
New User

Postby electrachrome on Sun May 27, 2018 2:55 pm

totally normal practice. I guess the only 'legit' reason I can think of is that they bought form someone else and they don't want them (or the artist) to know they are reselling.
Some buyers have a particular favorite number and will pay a little premium for it. I think sellers do a disservice to themselves by hiding the number, but it's theirs to sell as they please, so be it.
electrachrome
EB Team

Postby davemfan on Sun May 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Yep. It's really common on ebay. Some sellers are afraid the artist will find out who they are via the print # they have and maybe ban them from future purchases or whatever. I would not hesitate to buy a print with the # covered. At the end of the day eBay has the buyers backs. If you get the print and the condition is not as pictured then you can easily get your money back.
davemfan
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Postby Codeblue on Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm

electrachrome wrote:totally normal practice. I guess the only 'legit' reason I can think of is that they bought form someone else and they don't want them (or the artist) to know they are reselling.

This is the only other decent explanation I've seen:

misterwhisper wrote:I always hide them because I've had other sellers "borrow" my photos for their listings before, and once I got a post-purchase question from a buyer who'd bought a 5-year old print from me and then noticed the same-number print apparently sold by another seller. Fortunately I had the original invoice and sent it to him, but I could see some potential for provenance claims otherwise.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby redchiroptera on Sun May 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.
redchiroptera
New User

Return to Anything Goes