NAS & Media Servers

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby tourist504 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

I’m tired of juggling hard drives and manually backing up data, so I’ve done a little research and gone all-in on a Synology DS418play NAS and a pair of 8TB Seagate IronWolf hard drives. The goal is to keep my music and video files organized and centralized for use on 3 laptops (mac and PC) as well as a PS3, PS4, and an Apple TV 4K.

I also used to run Plex on a dedicated computer from an external USB hard drive, but I was never satisfied with the performance. From what I’ve read this particular model NAS is able to run Plex on its own and pretty seamlessly.

I also want to house roughly 1 TB of music on the NAS and house my iTunes library there accessible through each of the three laptops. There appears to be an app for that (iTunes Media Server I think it’s called).

Does anyone here have experience with this or a comparable setup?
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby Codeblue on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Can ya believe what he did to Kelis?
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby tourist504 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Codeblue wrote:Can ya believe what he did to Kelis?

You read about dat shih?
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby ghornett on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Sounds like you know what to do. I have been using Plex from my desktop for a while now and haven't noticed any performance issues. Possibly because my drives were all internal and not USB.
ghornett
Art Enthusiast

Postby golobulus on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 pm

I've been running a Synology ds1511+ since 2011 and it's been flawless. I use it to stream uncompressed wave files and mp3s to my HT receiver and blu-rays to my media player. I have everything wired with ethernet though. Way fewer issues than with wireless. Once you setup the Synology all you have to do is enable the audio server and point it to your music directory and the DLNA and Itunes compatible services will start.
golobulus
Art Expert

Postby ajmmck on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Have two externals (one usb powered and one wall powered) set up on a NUC mini pc with plex running and its great. Plugged directly into the modem so only issue is when the internet is down, so is Plex.
ajmmck
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby mfaith on Sat May 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I have a 32TB 8-bay QNAP nas, which I've really liked. QNAP has an integrated app store, which includes Plex.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Return to Anything Goes