Eber's with Kids

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am

dero316 wrote:We have our crib at the lowest of 3 settings but are expecting our almost 3yr old to climb out any day now. His 11 month old brother is a wild card and will probably climb out much sooner.

As for sleep training, we used the Moms On Call books which were great and all about the schedule. If you can stick to the schedule all is ok. Both my boys sleep 7:30pm-7am and the only time they've ever woken up early is when they're sick. It's a series of 3 books based on age group and written by a group of registered nurses and nurse practitioners. My wife is in their fb group(based on birth month/year) where additional help and feedback is provided. You can pay to actually have them "on call" where you can call/email them for specific questions.

While helpful, self help books can also lead to frustration where parents seem them as 'the rules' to rearing. Kids are not robots, what works for one may not work for another. Books can guide but each should not be relied on as the only solution to any issue. Use your gut and common sense as much as anything else.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby pittidesart on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 am

rubberneck wrote:Parenthood, one big guessing game...

yup.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
finneganm wrote:You going to start making rugs?

Postby DoubleDown on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 am

rubberneck wrote:
dero316 wrote:We have our crib at the lowest of 3 settings but are expecting our almost 3yr old to climb out any day now. His 11 month old brother is a wild card and will probably climb out much sooner.

As for sleep training, we used the Moms On Call books which were great and all about the schedule. If you can stick to the schedule all is ok. Both my boys sleep 7:30pm-7am and the only time they've ever woken up early is when they're sick. It's a series of 3 books based on age group and written by a group of registered nurses and nurse practitioners. My wife is in their fb group(based on birth month/year) where additional help and feedback is provided. You can pay to actually have them "on call" where you can call/email them for specific questions.

While helpful, self help books can also lead to frustration where parents seem them as 'the rules' to rearing. Kids are not robots, what works for one may not work for another. Books can guide but each should not be relied on as the only solution to any issue. Use your gut and common sense as much as anything else.

Agreed! Those self help mumbo jumbo books most often only apply to the authors children.
Best advice you can get is to ask other parent friends what they do and then go with your gut and what works for your kid. Every kid is unique and no formula works on all kids.
DoubleDown
Art Connoisseur

Postby mike123230 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 am

I liked the book because it gave us SOMETHING to go off of. As opposed to ZOMG this isn't working, try something else!! every 30 minutes.

Also - fwiw - setting an actual timer when letting kids cry (or doing anything while they're crying) is clutch. I remember being like "she must've been in there for 45 minutes, right?" and it'd been like 15 seconds.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Sounds about the same as owning a pet.

As for the toddler bed, our daughter was/is an "active" sleeper as well. I did not have enough balls to move her to the bed (and I did not see the need at the time, really), but the wife won that argument. So we moved her to bed and she was just fine. I was actually amazed how ell she did. She has fallen off once and it was more like sliding off - she went with her feet down first - and she did not even wake up, lol.

Also, my personal choice, but there is no way I would let my kid cry in bed for more than 5 minutes. Not good for any kid.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby pittidesart on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am

mike123230 wrote:I liked the book because it gave us SOMETHING to go off of. As opposed to ZOMG this isn't working, try something else!! every 30 minutes.

Also - fwiw - setting an actual timer when letting kids cry (or doing anything while they're crying) is clutch. I remember being like "she must've been in there for 45 minutes, right?" and it'd been like 15 seconds.

Tell me about it. Reading online forums is a good starting point for suggestions.

Well she slept through the night again. So we think her staying up the extra hour helped the separation issues she was having with her mother.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby earlgreytoast on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

Whoop! Good to hear. Now make a Vices poster illustrating the hazards of crib jumping. :P
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby dero316 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:19 am

DoubleDown wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Agreed! Those self help mumbo jumbo books most often only apply to the authors children.
Best advice you can get is to ask other parent friends what they do and then go with your gut and what works for your kid. Every kid is unique and no formula works on all kids.

We definitely don't see them as "rules", but the schedule and the techniques have been VERY helpful for my family. If you read my post again you'll see that the books are only part of the deal, they offer help from a GROUP of pediatric nurses and provide a sense of community for my wife and other moms(and I assume some dads). It provides exactly what doubledown suggested, a place to ask parents with kids the same age what works for them. Like mike said above, we discovered it after we were searching for something/anything to try after a few frustrating weeks of trying other methods.
dero316
Art Connoisseur

Postby pittidesart on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:00 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Whoop! Good to hear. Now make a Vices poster illustrating the hazards of crib jumping. :P

haha I havent had a solid idea for anything in the past 2 weeks due to no sleep.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby jmagee87 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 am

pittidesart wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:Whoop! Good to hear. Now make a Vices poster illustrating the hazards of crib jumping. :P

haha I havent had a solid idea for anything in the past 2 weeks due to no sleep.

Maybe the vice of sleep itself...
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby pittidesart on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am

jmagee87 wrote:
pittidesart wrote:

Maybe the vice of sleep itself...

Sloth... not bad. not bad at all
pittidesart
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Anything Goes