Eber's with Kids

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby pittidesart on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

18 month old sleep regression. Anyone have any experience with this? We are on week 2 of no sleeping through the night. We tried everything. Is this regression more of a "Ride it out" one?
pittidesart
Art Expert

Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
finneganm wrote:You going to start making rugs?

Postby jjttdw on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Its supposed to only last 3-4 weeks so ride it out.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby bryndavies on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 pm

We’re big on sleeptraining in our house, which essentially equates to cry it out. I could go into why I’m fine with that, but I understand some folks are against it. But I can say it’s worked like a charm x2 for us.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm

What exactly are they doing? Typically my advice would be cry it out, that's worked well for us with our first one. At 18 months, they are old enough to know how to self sooth, so letting them cry it out is likely the best form of action for your long term sanity.
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby guryter on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 pm

We used techniques from a book called the happy sleeper. It breaks down the issue and the best way to deal with it, depending on the type of regression, might be worth a shot in your situation.
guryter
Art Expert

Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.

john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.

Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.

Postby pittidesart on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 pm

jmagee87 wrote:What exactly are they doing? Typically my advice would be cry it out, that's worked well for us with our first one. At 18 months, they are old enough to know how to self sooth, so letting them cry it out is likely the best form of action for your long term sanity.

Actually she's 19 months and every night for the past week or so, she awakes 4am ( usually 4 on the dot) screaming "mommy mommy" out of nowhere, my wife rocks her to sleep and the minute she puts her back in the crib, she springs awake and starts crying. the only way she goes back to sleep is cuddled with my wife on the couch ( our bed to her means playtime). I am seriously debated the Cry it Out for this and we have tried it, but 10 minutes of crying and screaming mommy until she is having trouble breathing and we go in.

She always slept through the night since 4 months old. and we had the other regressions only last a week at the most, same situations too.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm

pittidesart wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:What exactly are they doing? Typically my advice would be cry it out, that's worked well for us with our first one. At 18 months, they are old enough to know how to self sooth, so letting them cry it out is likely the best form of action for your long term sanity.

Actually she's 19 months and every night for the past week or so, she awakes 4am ( usually 4 on the dot) screaming "mommy mommy" out of nowhere, my wife rocks her to sleep and the minute she puts her back in the crib, she springs awake and starts crying. the only way she goes back to sleep is cuddled with my wife on the couch ( our bed to her means playtime). I am seriously debated the Cry it Out for this and we have tried it, but 10 minutes of crying and screaming mommy until she is having trouble breathing and we go in.

She always slept through the night since 4 months old. and we had the other regressions only last a week at the most, same situations too.

Ah ok. Cry it out sucks. But you also know that theres really nothing wrong, so nothing to be worried about. I'd say do it each night, but extend the time each night. Maybe I'm a heartless bastard, but I'd rather let them scream for 20-60 minutes for a few nights rather than create in them the understanding that you'll come running each time. Then you'll be screwed for a long time.
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby pittidesart on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
pittidesart wrote:

Ah ok. Cry it out sucks. But you also know that theres really nothing wrong, so nothing to be worried about. I'd say do it each night, but extend the time each night. Maybe I'm a heartless bastard, but I'd rather let them scream for 20-60 minutes for a few nights rather than create in them the understanding that you'll come running each time. Then you'll be screwed for a long time.

Thats my thought exactly. I am just worried she will hurt herself trying to get out of the crib if we dont go in after a extended period. Cause sometimes she is wide awake ( wants to play, eat, read books, watch tv etc) getting back to sleep certain days is like 2hrs. I think we will try extending the time a bit, shut off the monitor and just watch her on the camera and see what happens.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby bryndavies on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
pittidesart wrote:

This all day. ^. I’m fine being a heartless bastard if it gets me sleep, teaches the kid to calm herself down and learn how deal, and not making some crazy habit of sleeping together on the couch or otherwise. Both of ours are girls. And they can sound like they’re having trouble breathing when they get all razed, and maybe they are to some extent, but that’s another reason they need to learn to self soothe and calm down. While 18 month sleep regression is a short window, creating habits of Mom and dad come running and you don’t have to sleep in you room might last longer, and the further down the road you get, the harder that bandaid will be to pull off for both parent and child. So In a way, it’s really not fair to the kid to cave into this and not teach her how to chill down on her own. Unfortunately because you can’t talk them into doing it, the only way is to literall make them work it out by themselves.

Edit, turning the volume on monitor off is also key. Only a true heartless bastard could listen to that, the sound taps into your spine. I usually take the monitor for the night during hard times because she’s weaker than me, or science might say that’s its harder for moms to turn off the biological response that occurs when your child is in distress.
Last edited by bryndavies on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby earlgreytoast on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:40 pm

If she’s really wailing for a full 10 minutes +, you are generally considered to be past the cry it out possibility and she could harm herself or puke. Go in, change diaper, hold and love for a minute or 2 then put her back in crib, making it very clear that she has to sleep again. Another 10 minute wait, rinse, repeat. I wouldn’t take her out of her room to the couch; that is a cue to her body to wake up more fully.

I’d also look at putting her down to bed later if possible. Our girl was up at 6 every morning and that worked great for us.

GL!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby pittidesart on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am

UPDATE: Thank you all for your advice. We put her down a hour or so later, during that time she danced and played and ran around and had some snacks. I also put her in long sleeve PJ's as I had a feeling she may be getting cold as I checked the weather for the last few nights back and during her wakeups was the coldest period for those days.... she is still sleeping as I write this.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now we will continue this tonight and see if we "solved" the issue.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am

pittidesart wrote:UPDATE: Thank you all for your advice. We put her down a hour or so later, during that time she danced and played and ran around and had some snacks. I also put her in long sleeve PJ's as I had a feeling she may be getting cold as I checked the weather for the last few nights back and during her wakeups was the coldest period for those days.... she is still sleeping as I write this.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully the above worked, and you're sorted.

I will add that my daughter did this around 18-19 months old; especially allowing herself to be comforted back to sleep but immediately popping back up frantic when placed in the crib. With her though the cry it out stuff wasn't really an option because she figured out that she could pull herself up and over the crib bar, so she'd just roll out and hop down to the floor. Due to that we moved her to a toddler bed (mostly just because we figured she was going to hurt herself pretty quickly). The night she moved to the toddler bed and forward she slept through the night no problem.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby pittidesart on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
pittidesart wrote:UPDATE: Thank you all for your advice. We put her down a hour or so later, during that time she danced and played and ran around and had some snacks. I also put her in long sleeve PJ's as I had a feeling she may be getting cold as I checked the weather for the last few nights back and during her wakeups was the coldest period for those days.... she is still sleeping as I write this.

Hopefully the above worked, and you're sorted.

I will add that my daughter did this around 18-19 months old; especially allowing herself to be comforted back to sleep but immediately popping back up frantic when placed in the crib. With her though the cry it out stuff wasn't really an option because she figured out that she could pull herself up and over the crib bar, so she'd just roll out and hop down to the floor. Due to that we moved her to a toddler bed (mostly just because we figured she was going to hurt herself pretty quickly). The night she moved to the toddler bed and forward she slept through the night no problem.

Exactly what she does! we lowered the crib the day we saw her pull herself out and unto the changing table. I am worrisome about a toddler bed right now cause she is a active sleeper ( rolling all of the crib) but last night I checked the camera and she was alot less mobile. Either she wore herself out last night or she may be getting ready for a bed. As for the cold thing this happened I believe last summer too when I had to put her in short sleeves cause she was getting too hot. We got new windows since then so I wonder if that has something to do with the it.
pittidesart
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 am

Parenthood, one big guessing game...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby dero316 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:12 am

We have our crib at the lowest of 3 settings but are expecting our almost 3yr old to climb out any day now. His 11 month old brother is a wild card and will probably climb out much sooner.

As for sleep training, we used the Moms On Call books which were great and all about the schedule. If you can stick to the schedule all is ok. Both my boys sleep 7:30pm-7am and the only time they've ever woken up early is when they're sick. It's a series of 3 books based on age group and written by a group of registered nurses and nurse practitioners. My wife is in their fb group(based on birth month/year) where additional help and feedback is provided. You can pay to actually have them "on call" where you can call/email them for specific questions.
dero316
Art Connoisseur

Next

Return to Anything Goes