Loss of a Pet

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby SPAC04 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I try to take comfort in knowing that you probably gave this animal a life that was a million times better than it would have lived otherwise, but I understand that there is no philosophical way around dealing with the horrific grief that accompanies the loss of a good Dog. My Sincere condolences sez.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby shoeless on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:59 am

Well.......here it goes.
A month and a half ago, the wife and I sitting on the couch with our newborn and we hear the cat make a commotion on the hardwood and quickly hobble upstairs. WTF was that about, we asked. I go upstairs to find him hiding and upset....not able to support his rear end. I carried him downstairs and told the wife I thought he broke his hip. She takes him to the ER and I stay with the baby. An hour later she calls to say he threw a blood clot and needs to be put down. 8 years old and full of life until then. I wasn't a cat person until this little smug bastard made me earn his respect. That was a Sunday, Feb 18.

Later that week, Thursday, my 12 yo boxer is dribbling like he has a UTI. fudge! We schedule an exam but before that days arrives, he looks miserable so off to the ER again. They give him antibiotics but suggest something else might be happening and to get him checked after meds run out. Fast forward three weeks and I bring him in for that check up. We get x-rays and they find bladder stones. :-| Some of which are in his peen. He needs surgery. We schedule it for this past tuesday. I bring him in and the vet explains that this could be a tricky surgery and we should get blood work done first. Get that, he's cleared, goes in for surgery this morning but they couldn't get to the worst of the stones. I knew that this was a strong possibility so had prepared myself as best as possible.

Ajax and Milo were two of the best pets I have ever known. Ajax wandered into my life while I was in college and quickly became the most popular dog around campus. More people knew him than me.....the girls loved him cause he was a sweetheart, the guys loved him cause he was a badass. He always knew how to properly behave in any situation. He was ready for anything, always happy to go along for any adventure. We backpacked and camped. We canoed. We went to the bars. Later in life he never lost his excitement for all things. Every day he welcomed my wife and I home with a smile and wagging nub. When we brought our daughter home a few months ago, he was a caring big brother.

These past few months have been a rollercoaster of emotion. We feel incredibly lucky to have had these two in our lives.

shoeless
Art Expert

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:42 am

Couple of beautiful boys there, sounds like y'all gave them pretty great lives. So very sorry for both of your losses.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:54 pm

thats super sad shoeless. My cat went out the same way, not a good final memory. My Condolences.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby sez752 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:59 pm

My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to you Shoeless. :cry:
sez752
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby earlgreytoast on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:17 am

“Ajax and Milo” :lol: love it. That kitten shot of Milo is awesome.

So sorry man, that’s a tough 1-2 punch.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby DonPiano on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:26 pm

I'll be saying goodbye to my beautiful cat Pixie tonight. Eighteen years old, been part of my life for thirteen of those years. A beautiful companion who I wish could be around forever.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:42 am

DonPiano wrote:I'll be saying goodbye to my beautiful cat Pixie tonight. Eighteen years old, been part of my life for thirteen of those years. A beautiful companion who I wish could be around forever.

It is such a tough decision to put a pet down. I hate to even think about it. It sounds like Pixie was loved and cherished I send you positive thought during this tough time.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby SPAC04 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am

my advice with putting cats down is to stay with them till they are gone and its done. i didn't have the heart to wait with my dog years ago and it still haunts me.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:10 pm

So very sorry for your loss. Eighteen years is one hell of a run though.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby DonPiano on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 am

Thanks all for your thoughts.

She went very peacefully. I think she was well and truly ready to go. Eighteen's a great age, and she was a very regal cat.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Postby GoBluePanic on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm

SPAC04 wrote:my advice with putting cats down is to stay with them till they are gone and its done. i didn't have the heart to wait with my dog years ago and it still haunts me.

It's the hardest thing to do but I would never let it be done without being there. One of our dogs we let pass naturally at home a few years ago. He wasn't in pain so we let things go as they do. It was hard but not as hard as putting a pet down. We had to put his "sister" down a few years later and she stared into my soul throughout the process. It was brutal.

:vibes: to you
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

I'm not someone else.

Postby DonPiano on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm

I've been present for many, many euthanasia's. As a former vet nurse, I helped many different creatures move along. It got easier as time went along, but it was never easy for the family members doing it.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Postby gorkie on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

DonPiano wrote:I'll be saying goodbye to my beautiful cat Pixie tonight. Eighteen years old, been part of my life for thirteen of those years. A beautiful companion who I wish could be around forever.

Hope you are doing ok. So sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one.

I also just heard from a friend tonight that their dog, who had CHF, dropped and passed away returning home from a walk.

My heart breaks for these losses. It truly sucks.

Wishing you peace.
gorkie
Art Freak

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Previous

Return to Anything Goes