Ireland (Trip in May)

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby FrankBooth on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:35 pm

It's been a while since I had an overseas trip and this should be a good one.

I will be in Dublin but should be good with transit to do some exploring. I'll be there for just about a week.

Thanks.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby TOTM on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 am

Pint 'O Guinness le Glyn?
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am

Get out of Dublin and go west. It's just another European city these days.

Hit up Galway, Aran Islands and down south to Cork and Kerry.

Best to rent a car, bus and rail service is limited.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby tjinoh on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 am

We did part of our honeymoon in Ireland in 2012. My take - only spend a few days in Dublin. Do Newgrange, the Guinness brewery, Trinity College - all of the tourist stuff - and then get a car and drive southwest. Dublin is a great city but really it's not that different from taking a vacation in a city like Boston (no offense, Dubliners, I love Boston too). We did a three-day run that included a night in Kinsale (great little coastal town), a day spent driving the Ring of Kerry followed by the best dinner I've ever eaten at The Moorings in Port Magee, and then a day at Skellig Michael. You can forget everything I just wrote as long you go to Skellig Michael...it's maybe the coolest thing I've ever experienced.

We'd like to go back and do the North next time. Lovely country, can't recommend it enough.
tjinoh
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 am

tjinoh wrote:We did part of our honeymoon in Ireland in 2012. My take - only spend a few days in Dublin. Do Newgrange, the Guinness brewery, Trinity College - all of the tourist stuff - and then get a car and drive southwest. Dublin is a great city but really it's not that different from taking a vacation in a city like Boston (no offense, Dubliners, I love Boston too). We did a three-day run that included a night in Kinsale (great little coastal town), a day spent driving the Ring of Kerry followed by the best dinner I've ever eaten at The Moorings in Port Magee, and then a day at Skellig Michael. You can forget everything I just wrote as long you go to Skellig Michael...it's maybe the coolest thing I've ever experienced.

We'd like to go back and do the North next time. Lovely country, can't recommend it enough.

Assuming you get the weather 8)

All good recommendations. Aran Islands are a fun stopover cos you can stay overnight and cycle around the islands.

Ring of Kerry is a great tourist attraction. As are the Killarney lakes and Muckross House and Farm.

As someone who grew up there I'm ashamed to say I've never been north of Dublin. I keep planning to go back and do it now with the family now that the political situation has settled. Giants Causeway and a black taxi ride in Belfast are on the cards...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby TOTM on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am

Giants Causeway mos def...
TOTM
Art Expert

Postby biakabo on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 am

Had a layover in Shannon when I was coming back on leave while deployed. We were driven to Shannon Springs Hotel and the countryside was hands down the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Then got to drink with a bunch of area people all night. Was one of my top five life experiences.
biakabo
Art Connoisseur

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Love Ireland! Spent nearly two years there due to business trips

Giants Causeway and seeing the North is a great option.

Also love the west coast and the Cliffs of Moher, stay in Galway great town, take the drive to the Coast.

A bit closer to Dublin, south is Cork see the old castles, kiss the Blarney stone..... and a great little coastal town for a meal and drink called Cobh, stop by the Midleton distillery, and you can hit Waterford on the way back to Dublin. You can even hit Glendalough if you plan it right.

A great place to eat while in Dublin, Johnnie Fox's
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm

chevyav53 wrote:A great place to eat while in Dublin, Johnnie Fox's

Has the dubious distinction of being Irelands highest pub. That's altitude btw... 8)
rubberneck
Art God

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far. :pint:
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm

rubberneck wrote:

Has the dubious distinction of being Irelands highest pub. That's altitude btw... 8)

Yes great view and whiskey selection.

You want to get high go to Copper Face Jacks.... kidding, avoid there, have fun :pint:
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Yes great view and whiskey selection.

You want to get high go to Copper Face Jacks.... kidding, avoid there, have fun :pint:

Lol, I used to go there when in college and up in Dublin. A right pick up joint, full of nurses and drunk students. Known as 'Slapper Faced Jacks' by most. :wink:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... per&page=2
rubberneck
Art God

Postby rubberneck on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am

Make sure you get a reputable rider and horse when doing the Ring of Kerry...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iages.html

:hanging:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby aldobishalini on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Love Ireland! Spent nearly two years there due to business trips

Giants Causeway and seeing the North is a great option.

Also love the west coast and the Cliffs of Moher, stay in Galway great town, take the drive to the Coast.

A bit closer to Dublin, south is Cork see the old castles, kiss the Blarney stone..... and a great little coastal town for a meal and drink called Cobh, stop by the Midleton distillery, and you can hit Waterford on the way back to Dublin. You can even hit Glendalough if you plan it right.

A great place to eat while in Dublin, Johnnie Fox's

I'd have to agree with most of this....accept for kissing the Blarney Stone... totally overrated!!. You'll be kissing a wet stone that's been moist for endless years from people's wet lips. No thanks lol but my wife is from Ireland so I make a trip to County Mayo every year or so. Approaching 10 trips soon.

Dublin is a cool city, but definitely make some time to go North and check out the eastern coastal drive in Northern Ireland. Then just adventure West, and on your trip to your next destination, stop in small towns and get a pint. :pint: Speak to the locals. I cannot recommend that enough. You'll REALLY meet the Irish during those quick stops.

PM me if you have any questions or want to talk more in detail, it's one of my favorite places on earth and i plan on retiring there down the road.
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur

BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”

Postby FrankBooth on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

aldobishalini wrote:
I'd have to agree with most of this....accept for kissing the Blarney Stone... totally overrated!!. You'll be kissing a wet stone that's been moist for endless years from people's wet lips. No thanks lol but my wife is from Ireland so I make a trip to County Mayo every year or so. Approaching 10 trips soon.

Dublin is a cool city, but definitely make some time to go North and check out the eastern coastal drive in Northern Ireland. Then just adventure West, and on your trip to your next destination, stop in small towns and get a pint. :pint: Speak to the locals. I cannot recommend that enough. You'll REALLY meet the Irish during those quick stops.

PM me if you have any questions or want to talk more in detail, it's one of my favorite places on earth and i plan on retiring there down the road.

Much appreciated, I am really hoping to get out of Dublin as often as possible. I do pretty short trips and just like to cram stuff in. I have also 0 desire to go near the saliva stone.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Next

Return to Anything Goes