Phones Phone Phones.

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby DonPiano on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 am

My mobile phone plan is almost up, so I'll be getting a new phone soon. I'm tempted to get the Samsung Galaxy S9 as I've had Samsung's for years, but might have to stick with getting an S8.

Just curious what everybody is rocking and what they recommend.

Are you team Android or team Apple?

Also - for the Android users out there, what's your phone of choice? I really would like to move to a Pixel 2, but my provider doesn't have it, so I can't.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby wottagunn on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 am

I bought a pixel 1 outright a year ago. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Even though it's only a year old, it's still as fast and responsive as day 1.

I'm on a telstra BYO plan mate. $40pm for unlimited calls/texts etc and 15gb data. And a free afl live pass.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Image Image Image ImageImage

Postby DonPiano on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 am

I'd swap to Telstra, but I don't pay for my mobile plan so just have to rely on getting a new phone through my wife's plan. A bit tedious, but given I don't have to pay for my plan, it's a bonus.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby stuckeyc on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 am

i hate my phone bill. costs me more than my gas/electric/internet/garbage combined. that said i am pretty happy with samsung compared to anything else i have tried. my biggest gripe is battery life and it sucks that they switched from removable batteties a few models back.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 am

LG V20

Likely the last phone with a removable battery, always love being able to swap a fresh battery in. Plus the IR blaster which I have ended up using quite a bit since my G3.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby MJGallicchio on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 am

I've had an iPhone X since release day and love it, but I'm also an iPhone guy, so take that for whatever it's worth.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Postby whisperingid on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am

I use a nexus 5x but it's practically EOL now that it's not getting Android P. Not sure what i'm going to jump to afterward, but I'm hoping to find something w/ a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I use Ting as my provider in the US. my monthly bills are ~17-23$ since i keep data usage to wifi hotspots. more money for art.
whisperingid
New User

Postby xangelx on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am

Had several Androids over the years, my current 2yr old phone is the Oneplus 3, best phone I've ever had, awesome battery life, works as fast as the day I got it, great specs. Have never had it freeze up, and I believe I paid $400 for it. New model came out last year but I might keep this one for another 2 yrs if it keeps working as well.

Ya may want to scope out the current one.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby applehead on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 am

I moved to Apple when the 6 plus came out. Last Friday my iPhone 7 plus cracked, and when I took it in, they told me it was broken beyond repair. The truth is it was friday at 3pm and a Sprint worked just had seizures and the paramedics and fire trucks were there, so I dont think anyone wanted to work on it. I ended up paying off the phone and upgrading from 32GB to 256GB and going with the iPhone X. I was tired of the clunky/big plus versions and I'm happy with the 7 and I def needed more space/GB. I was android before 2014 and Ive never thought of going back.
applehead
Art Expert

Postby schmoff on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

FrankBooth wrote:LG V20

Likely the last phone with a removable battery, always love being able to swap a fresh battery in.

also my fave and exactly why i got it, also i think it has the best camera, i mean phones are all about the camera
schmoff
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:I've had an iPhone X since release day and love it, but I'm also an iPhone guy, so take that for whatever it's worth.

+1 Love my new iPhone X. The gestures and facial recognition really make it a lot easier.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby tranito on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm

On a Pixel 2 right now. As far as Android is concerned for me, I want it stock or the less bloat the better. If I didn't have access to the Pixel 2, I'd be looking at OnePlus 5T and Essential Phone, which are some of the best phones for the $$$. Galaxy S9 sure has these phones beaten, but more $$$ and more bloat. Not for me. iPhone X looks cool, but not sure it's worth the asking price.

Coming from a Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, IPhone 4 and Galaxy S2.
tranito
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.

Postby 63schoeffling on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

I keep my phones for 2 years or so. I bucked up about a month ago for the iPhone X and it has really grown on me. Speakers, pictures and video are all top notch. Then again, I've been rocking iPhones since day 1 and never had any issues so I just keep it rolling.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Vorpel on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Currently using an iPhone X and I love it. I trade out each year for the new model - I might skip this year as I've been really happy with the X. The screen is awesome - I am coming off of the 7+ and I like the size of the X better.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm still rocking an Iphone 5S . . . thought about switching to Samsung, but the kids both have Iphones, so easier to control & command those having an Iphone of my own.

Will probably go for the 8 or X next . . . maybe try to wait it out to the Fall and whatever new phone they put out.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Next

Return to Anything Goes