Paypal scam with spam attack diversion (formerly Hacked!)

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Ughhhhhh, it seems I've been hacked. I have two charges on my paypal account of $445.99 from a Staples in Florida. I called paypal. They canceled my card and said that the charges will go through but they'll reimburse me along with any fees.

My other issue is my gmail address is being used for something. Dozens of emails are coming through every minute. Over 700 in the last hour. I changed my password. They're still coming through. What do I do? Who do I call? Lots of wordpress emails, being signed up for lots of newsletters. Anybody ever have to deal with this?

Thanks for your advice

:hanging:

Edited to change thread title.

Jump to post with possible explanation of what happened: viewtopic.php?p=3473662#p3473662
Last edited by RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Codeblue on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 pm

No 2 factor auth? Oof.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby lightyears2010 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm

i dont have any advice, but i feel your pain. chase called me saturday to tell me my checking acct was hacked so severely that they closed it. i had to open a new one. it's fun setting up all of my bills and direct deposit all over again. lately, i have been getting alerts that my facebook and instagram accounts are trying to be logged into from places all over the world. i have 2 step verification on all of my accounts that allow it including gmail. *sigh*
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Postby samuraiwriter on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I know your pain on this one. Thankfully, I was not impacted financially.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Codeblue wrote:No 2 factor auth? Oof.

Lesson learned I guess. Always seemed like a pain in the ass.

Anybody know what to do about this gmail address? Still receiving dozens of emails every minute. Do I need to contact somebody or something?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby lightyears2010 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm

sounds like too many to unsubscribe...assuming they're not all coming from the same place. i'd maybe just ditch that email and create a new one.
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Postby maddoghoek100 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm

you'll need to set a spam filter. it doesnt sound like a hack. I had the same thing happen to my hotmail a while back. had to set a spam filter on some key words and limit things to trusted sources. it seemed to settle down after day or so. now it is back to the usual penis pill adds and car loan refinance garbage
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Youre having a bad run of it at present... :hanging:

Is your work wifi or server secure and encrypted?

Hope it gets sorted!
Last edited by rubberneck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Damn I just went through insane paypal fudge this past summer. Luckily you caught it early, sucks about your email.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Damn I just went through insane paypal fudge this past summer. Luckily you caught it early, sucks about your email.

My CC card was skimmed or cloned last year. took bank a few weeks to reinstate funds. Crazy thing is I just got a $25 check last night as a way of 'compensation'... :roll:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Not sure how they got my info or what they used to make those purchases in Miami.

Current issue is that they still have access to my email. There are messages in my sent messages from the last hour that I didn't send. I already changed my passcode. Still haven't found out how to contact google (seriously... wtf). I need to get these drymounters out of my email.

Tell me about it RN. Trying to stay zen but *insert crazy person talk* :cussing:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Not sure how they got my info or what they used to make those purchases in Miami.

Current issue is that they still have access to my email. There are messages in my sent messages from the last hour that I didn't send. I already changed my passcode. Still haven't found out how to contact google (seriously... wtf). I need to get these drymounters out of my email.

Tell me about it RN. Trying to stay zen but *insert crazy person talk* :cussing:

A few things you want to do asap;
make sure you scan your computer for virus,
check your email settings including any recovery passwords or emails in case they were changed
check your sent and deleted folders to ensure they did not find and send anything out that could further impact you
If you were using this email for other accounts reset password function for example be sure to update those passwords and do the above
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby ygolohcysp on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Not sure how they got my info or what they used to make those purchases in Miami.

here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

you should be able to log out of all other locations around there (click "details" bottom right in gmail (desktop browser) then there's a big button)
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

^
Thanks guys.

I changed the password and checked out the details a couple of hours ago and it shows my IP as the only one with access. I logged everybody out as well. Just checked and I have several sent messages since then.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby ygolohcysp on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm

The call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE. :D

So maybe there's an app authenticated, try this

Go to accounts.google.com.
Under "Sign-in & security" tab click "Apps with access to your account"
Under the section "Apps connected to your account", click on MANAGE APPS:
Select app you want & click REMOVE button.
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Next

Return to Anything Goes