Paypal scam with spam attack diversion (formerly Hacked!)

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby Codeblue on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Somehow this is related to pr0n.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby stuckeyc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

what was the scam?
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Got a call from a friendly EBer with more knowledge of these things than myself. What we gathered from going over everything is that my paypal debit card was somehow compromised along with my paypal email address. It seems as if they put my email address into some kind of registration bot or something to sign me up for all kinds of nonsense and hit me with a barrage of emails to 1) conceal the paypal emails alerting me to the fraudulent charges so their shopping spree could continue, and 2) keep me in a general state of confusion. Thing is, there was almost ten minutes between the first charge and the onslaught of emails. I was lucky to see the charges right away, call paypal, and cancel the card before they could do any more damage. Bastards still got away with $900 in goods from Staples. Wonder what they got.

Hopefully that's all that happened. My money's tied up until the charges go through and are refunded, but the biggest pain is that my email is drymounted. I have 2700+ unread messages and this morning I only had 5. The stream is letting up a bit. Only an email every minute or so instead of dozens a minute. Not sure what the best approach is here... Also, it's weird that I had messages in my 'sent mail' from my account to some of these places. Not nearly as many as the incoming mail, but a couple of dozen at least. Seems like they spoofed the address. Not sure what the purpose of that is.

There's always the far-fetched chance that the paypal thing and the emails are separate incidents and a crazy coincidence (I doubt it though...) When I heard you can set somebody's email up to basically have a spam army run the train on it I tried to think of who I might've crossed and I don't think I have any enemies with reason to bring the ruckus in this sorta fashion. At least I hope not. (If so, apologies!) :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby piper27 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Well at least you got it sorted. Glad that someone could come through and help out.

On another note what does $900 in paper and office supplies look like? Half a semi load?
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm

Also, thanks to those who chimed in with advice or a friendly word. Got way more assistance from this here poster forum than elsewhere and it is appreciated :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

piper27 wrote:On another note what does $900 in paper and office supplies look like? Half a semi load?

They probably picked up some electronics or something boring like that. I prefer to believe they bought a few nice office chairs for a downhill derby or $900 worth of candy.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Hope my most recent dick pics don't get lost in the mix... :pint:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Those are in the cloud :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Those are in the cloud :pint:

It better be a goddamn hurricane!
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

The emails have slowed. I went through the other 3000+ emails, reported them spam, and unsubscribed from all of them.

Anybody care to guess how many I receive today?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby maroozer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am

RottenAtom wrote:The emails have slowed. I went through the other 3000+ emails, reported them spam, and unsubscribed from all of them.

1. maroozer - 275

Thanks for the giveaway!
maroozer
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 am

maroozer wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:The emails have slowed. I went through the other 3000+ emails, reported them spam, and unsubscribed from all of them.

1. maroozer - 275
2. RN - 500

Thanks for the giveaway!
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Baker on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 am

Same thing happened to my boss except instead of them getting into his paypal and trying to cover it up, they of all things got into one of his "points" accounts that he earns, think skymiles but different and transferred all those points out to some other name. They were able to pull them back though cause he noticed it all fast enough. Same thing though, he got hit with a million emails.

Hope you got everything sorted now man!
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks Baker. Everything seems okay at present. Spam emails are still trickling in but only a dozen a day or so. Paypal issued the temporary credit while they investigate.

rubberneck wrote:
maroozer wrote:

1. maroozer - 275
2. RN - 500

Thanks for the giveaway!

Only 21! I win!! (Price is Right rules). Too bad too, I have a used copy of Hackers on VHS I was ready to pass along :P
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby GoBluePanic on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 pm

piper27 wrote:Well at least you got it sorted. Glad that someone could come through and help out.

On another note what does $900 in paper and office supplies look like? Half a semi load?

About 6 printer cartridges that will sell easily at half price.

A few weeks ago I ran my credit report through all 3 agencies. The next day my debit card and the cc I carry were both turned "off." This sucked because it happened to coincide with a car battery that died when I was 50 miles from home. While I was waiting for my wife I called my bank and then the cc company. Neither of them could give me a reason why the cards were "off." The cc company said someone tried a Fed Ex charge in FLA but it didn't go through. Cancelled the cards and got new ones without any other charges. I still can't really figure out what happened other than the reporting agencies are still compromised.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

I'm not someone else.

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes