Planning a trip to New York City. Need advice and recs!

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm

What up EB?! My wife and I are approaching our 10 year anniversary and to celebrate we're planning a trip to NYC. I've always had an affinity for the city; I fell in love with it through cinema, tv, and my sole visit there in 2000. She's never been. We're both very excited!

Our anniversary is March 3rd, but unfortunately, we're being forced to change apartments due to renovations and we'll be spending the actual day moving artwork and boxes. We've decided to push the trip back to May to give us time to settle into the new place. I've also heard the weather is much nicer in May.

So... I need your advice and recommendations!

My previous trip was a family vacation and aside from a few solo excursions through the city to shoot B&W photography and attend a Common album release party, my mom made all the plans and arrangements. There's no shortage of things things we want to do, but I wanted to reach out so you can tell me about all the cool stuff I don't know about and give me some tips on navigating the city.

We don't have plane tickets or accommodations yet. Looks like I can get a pair through Delta for $500-600 total in the Main Cabin with luggage and carryons. We'd fly into LaGuardia. Not sure what part of the city we want to stay in yet. Is my best bet airbnb? Is that risky or is it a safe play if they have good reviews? I've stayed in airbnbs before, but they were always booked by someone else. Will I have any issues with a brand new account?

We want to try lots of pizza places (who's got the best slice of cheese?), eat at a good Italian restaurant in Little Italy, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, see a show (recommendations? anybody got the hookup?), check out some museums and movie theaters (any cool historic theaters? theaters that play classic movies?), and spend time exploring the city. I want to take more photographs (been messing with different Polaroid cameras and film lately), try a real black and white cookie, sample some bakeries, and drink some good cocktails. I have to keep my run streak alive so tips on parks and places to jog are appreciated.

Hit me with your best advice! Where should we go? What should we do? Is that Phlegm piece still up? If so, where is it? Thanks!!

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Codeblue on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Tl;dr

P. S. Can't believe teh last NY thread is purged already. Had some #authenticfoodrap recs.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Codeblue wrote:Tl;dr

P. S. Can't believe teh last NY thread is purged already. Had some #authenticfoodrap recs.

He always talked up L&B Spumoni Gardens. Definitely going there.

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby fallstaff on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 pm

A great place to jog is the jogging path around the Central Park reservoir (also known as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis). It's a beautiful locale and the path is I think compacted granite fines which I think is an easier surface on the knees.

Also walk the High Line Park which is an abandoned rail line repurposed into an elevated linear greenway. It runs a mile or two and cuts through Chelsea and the West Side offering a interesting perspective above the street fray. While you're at it check out some galleries in the Chelsea district.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Postby Grateful69Phish on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm

If you're going to the Statue of Liberty- go early morning for 2 reasons; avoid huge lines and the first 100 people get free "pedestal" tickets

Otherwise, all you get to do is walk around the grassy area below

If you're seeking to get up into the flame, like you could do decades ago- you have to register for security clearance on the National Park website- and it takes months.

I'm also a huge fan of the MET
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Postby jamel-d on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 pm

World Trade Center complex downtown, clock in the sidewalk at Maiden Lane and Bdwy downtown, Wall St area, take a ferry ride from Battery Park to Staten Island(the view coming back is extraordinary, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown, eat at Wo Hops downstairs, Johns Pizza in the Village, Patsy's(pizza) in East Harlem, MOMA on 53rd St off 6th ave, Met on 82nd and 5th, Natural History and Planetarium, 79th and CPW. While in Chelsea(HiLine), plenty of small galleries off 10th ave. Rockefeller Center in midtown Plenty more, those are the first ones that come to mind.
Also, you can fly into Newark, if cheaper and get to NYC relatively easy. I live in Jersey about 20 miles outside of the city but I retired almost 7 years ago and a lot has changed. The places I've mentioned should still be standing. Any questions, I'd be glad to help.
jamel-d
Art Expert

THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17 Image

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for your input, guys. Great stuff! :clap:

These are some other recommendations I received or saw and jotted down. Frank Booth mentioned some of them. (Thanks, FB!)

Keste for Neopolitan pizza (on Bleecker st. in Manhattan)

Luna's, Scarr's, or Clinton Pizza (Manhattan)

Joe's, Bleecker Street Pizza (Manhattan)

Faicco's for Arancini and Italian sandwiches (on Bleecker st. in Manhattan)

Serendipity 3 for Frozen Hot Chocolate (Upper East Side Manhattan)

The Metrograph (Theater in Manhattan)

Film Forum (Theater in Manhattan)

Museum of the Moving Image (Queens)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby earlgreytoast on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Not sure if you guys are fit and/or like to walk but I always give the same advice: carve out a nice chunk of time to just set off in a direction and walk with no destination. Then drop into a subway with no plan on where you want to go. Get off randomly and walk in the direction you think you should walk. Do it again. Eat when you get hungry at a place that looks right. Then walk more. Curate your OWN tour of NYC that isn’t just checking off boxes, it really gives you a more intimate, unique and personal experience in the greatest city in the world. I dunno, maybe this is too idealized a plan for real adults but as teenagers it was standard practice and made the city our own forever.

And get a grays papaya with a coconut champagne! So drymounting good.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 pm

^We definitely plan to leave a few days open to wander about and discover things on our own. On my first trip we stumbled on a place in Greenwich Village called Jerry Ohlinger's. It was a small storefront, but they had a huge warehouse full of old 8x10s, lobby cards, 11x17s, and full-sized posters and movie memorabilia. It was my first poster frenzy. I got a bunch of stuff for classic movies and Hitchcock flicks. I checked a couple years ago and I think they moved to Brooklyn. Gonna look into them and see if they're still around.

No Gray's for me (don't do meat) but a coconut champagne sounds tasty.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Count on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 pm

A few thoughts off the top of my head.

The 9/11 museum is excellent. A very respectful and world-class presentation of the attack on the twin towers and the aftermath.

If you want to see NYC from high, there are 3 popular choices - Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, and One World Observatory (@ the Freedom Tower). My personal favourite is Top of the Rock - you get a great view of the Empire State, Midtown and Central Park. Go on a clear day just before dusk, and watch the lights come on. Magical. I didn't like One World that much but the elevator ride up is quite the experience.

Someone mentioned High Line. Absolutely recommended. Grab a bite at Chelsea Market, and then walk the High Line. Step into some galleries in the Chelsea area - Taglialatella Galleries is recommended.

Walk around Greenwich Village. My favorite neighborhood in NYC. You are a film buff, so you can check out Film Forum and IFC Center which are in the area. They screen classics, foreign films and the like.

Keep your eyes open for street art. I saw Phlegm, Invader, Faile etc last June, and I wasn't actively looking for it, which made for a nice surprise.

Spend a day (or half a day) in Brooklyn. The promenade along the river gives you a great view of downtown Manhattan. Brooklyn Bridge Park is all nicely done up now. And there is a bunch of Street Art in Dumbo - well worth your time.
Count
Art Expert

Postby jpicken on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 pm

RottenAtom wrote:On my first trip we stumbled on a place in Greenwich Village called Jerry Ohlinger's. It was a small storefront, but they had a huge warehouse full of old 8x10s, lobby cards, 11x17s, and full-sized posters and movie memorabilia. It was my first poster frenzy. I got a bunch of stuff for classic movies and Hitchcock flicks. I checked a couple years ago and I think they moved to Brooklyn. Gonna look into them and see if they're still around.

They are in Manhattan close to Penn Station.

Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Material Store, Inc.
216 W 30th St.
New York, New York 10001
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage

Postby rubberneck on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Not sure if you guys are fit and/or like to walk but I always give the same advice: carve out a nice chunk of time to just set off in a direction and walk with no destination. Then drop into a subway with no plan on where you want to go. Get off randomly and walk in the direction you think you should walk. Do it again. Eat when you get hungry at a place that looks right. Then walk more. Curate your OWN tour of NYC that isn’t just checking off boxes, it really gives you a more intimate, unique and personal experience in the greatest city in the world. I dunno, maybe this is too idealized a plan for real adults but as teenagers it was standard practice and made the city our own forever.

I love doing this while in any new city over the weekend, if visiting there for work. Getting 'lost' for a bit makes the feeling of finding your way around more of an achievement and personal memory of the place. :pint:

I'll add hiring bikes and making your way around central park over a few hours as something we loved.

Half a day in MOMA.

Ellis Island, Lady Liberty is the money shot, but there is more depth and history right here.

And of course...

rubberneck
Art God

Postby zefarrett on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am

Jog through Central Park. There are some cool little paths through it. Also, last time I was there we did a slow exploration run over the bridges. That was awesome. Spotted a lot of street art along the way too.

That being said, I can only do NYC once every few months. It’s just way too much for me. :lol:
zefarrett
Art Freak

me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

jpicken wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:On my first trip we stumbled on a place in Greenwich Village called Jerry Ohlinger's. It was a small storefront, but they had a huge warehouse full of old 8x10s, lobby cards, 11x17s, and full-sized posters and movie memorabilia. It was my first poster frenzy. I got a bunch of stuff for classic movies and Hitchcock flicks. I checked a couple years ago and I think they moved to Brooklyn. Gonna look into them and see if they're still around.

They are in Manhattan close to Penn Station.

Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Material Store, Inc.
216 W 30th St.
New York, New York 10001

That's awesome. Cool that they're still around :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

Subbing. We want to go in 2019, so looking forward to what advice comes in
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Next

Return to Anything Goes