Planning a trip to New York City. Need advice and recs!

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm

mattieg25 wrote:Most of the Phlegms are still there. The one on the red wall is in Chelsea(446 W 17th St), the giraffe is in the Bushwick Collective(385 Troutman st), and the other red wall with the characters in boxes is also still there but further down in Brooklyn(avenue U & East 28th).

Appreciate it!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Sun May 13, 2018 3:33 pm

The trip's this week (mid-week). So much to do! Still piecing together plans.

So jealous of all the NYC folks and the access you all have to movies! Houston is a much better-than-average city for access to a wide range of films, but man, NYC is just ridiculous. On Friday night at 7pm alone there was over a half dozen events that I would be willing to go out of my way to see. So much good stuff.

It's not like I'm going to spend the entire week in a dark theater, but if I wanted to it certainly would be easy to! There are 8 Kubrick films playing in 35mm at The Metrograph and the US premier of the new 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey currently at Cannes. Good timing! There's also a well-received doc opening up that's supposed to be one of those love letter to cinema types called Saving Brinton, and a new doc about Basquiat and the art scene back in the day on the LES, called Boom For Real. They're also playing The Birds, Ghost Dog, Black Orpheus, Thief, The King of Comedy, The Fisher King, and a bunch of other good ones.

We've never been to a Michelin-starred place so I did some research and ended up booking a table at one of the five 3 Star restaurants in the city, Le Bernadin. Doing the 8 course tasting menu with wine pairings :pint:

Currently debating between grabbing tix to The Book of Mormon or The Iceman Cometh with Denzel. I've heard on all accounts that BoM is hilarious and it would probably be more fun, but it would be a great experience to see Denzel on Broadway. Iceman is supposedly quite long and forlorn. Torn on what to do... We're seeing Wicked as well (Book of Mormon lost the faceoff against it.)

Thanks for all the tips and advice. It's come in handy!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby FrankBooth on Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm

That's a solid lineup RA

I haven't seen enough theater for a while but I once saw Denzel in Radio Golf (By the great August Wilson) and he was fantastic. Haven't heard a bad thing about Mormon though.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby RottenAtom on Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 am

FrankBooth wrote:That's a solid lineup RA

I haven't seen enough theater for a while but I once saw Denzel in Radio Golf (By the great August Wilson) and he was fantastic. Haven't heard a bad thing about Mormon though.

I'm sure they're both great, and I hate to pass up Denzel... We opted to skip them both, however, to allow for more time wandering around and to ensure we hit both Di Fara and L&B Spumoni Gardens. I also want to try Juliana's. And possibly Tottano's.

We saw Picasso at the Lapin Agile tonight in Houston. It's a silly farce written by Steve Martin about young Picasso and Albert Einstein meeting in a bar.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Previous

Return to Anything Goes