ISO: new headphone recs

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby soam24 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Been using the generic apple ones and they are shot.

It would be nice to have one pair that can be used for both normal headphones / phonecalls AND to be used at the gym for running. Not sure if there is a really good dual use one out there.

I suppose I'm open to any and all suggestions.
soam24
Art Freak

Postby Prinze on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:37 am

I’ve used a fair number of earbuds, here are thoughts on a few that I liked. Keep in mind I don't have a real fine ear, so comments about sound quality are really based more on personal preference than anything else. I tend to prefer a neutral sound, so what sounds good to me might sound lacking if you're used to something a bit more bass heavy.

Panasonic RP-HJE120-PPK are a great deal for straight-up earbuds. They're comfortable, sound good, are fairly durable, and at $8 it's not a big deal if they wear out or get lost / stolen / accidentally broken. But they don't have any of the bells and whistles - no microphone, no volume control, no noise isolation or canceling (I think there might be a version with a mic available, but I haven't tried it). These are great dedicated heavy-use earbuds or as a backup pair to keep in your desk / car / wherever.

Klipsch Image S4i are $40 noise isolating earbuds. Great sound quality and they have a built in mic / volume control. I really liked these, but I went through 3 pairs in a year because the cable-jack connection kept giving out. They do come with a 2-year warranty, but I don't remember if it covered the cord / jack wearing out too quickly.

BeatsX are pretty good wireless earbuds. The wireless is awesome for sports, working out, etc., but I wish they fit a little more snugly. Battery life is just okay (I get a little over 7 hours on a full charge), but quick charging helps and these work really nicely with an iPhone setup. I got mine as a free promo, so I'm not sure how much they cost, and I'd probably be hesitant to replace them since Beats + Apple usually charge a bit of a premium for branding.

RHA MA750 Series are awesome, but expensive ($130+). They're noise isolating, sound fantastic, and the cables hook around your ears to keep them in place. They’re also really well constructed (thick cable, metal earpieces and jack) and come with a 3-year warranty. A couple downsides: they weigh a little more because of their construction, metal earbuds can get cold in the winter, and not everyone likes over-the-ear style cables. I used the regular 750 for about two years then got upgraded to the 750i (with microphone) when I got a warranty replacement. I haven't tried the wireless version.

I'm pretty rough on my earbuds and don't care too much about smartphone features so at this point I prefer to just use the cheap Panasonics and replace them when needed. Wireless is nice, but I never remember to charge the BeatsX. I can't really comment about the microphone quality on any of these since my phone's reception pretty much mangles everything anyways.

A couple things to keep in mind:

The regular Apple earbuds have a very slim jack profile, so they work well with a lot of phone cases. This isn't the case with other earbuds, so if you're using a phone case, you might need to make sure you have clearance for the plug.

A nice thing about most non-Apple headphones is that they usually come with multiple soft tips that tend to fit / seal better than the hard-plastic Apple ones. So you'll probably notice an increase in comfort and sound quality even with a cheap pair. Plus they usually have longer cords than the default Apple ones.

Wireless earbuds have different streaming formats. Depending on your device / headphones / music collection this can decrease sound quality if things have to be compressed to a lower quality to be streamed to the bluetooth headphones.

Depending on how you use them, they can wear out really fast since they're constantly being connected, disconected, tangled, untangled, bounced around, jammed into, and pulled out of pockets. The higher end ones usually have longer warranties, and can last a while if treated gently, but I find it's best to think of them as limited lifetime goods.
Prinze

Postby soam24 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 am

awesome right up! i'll check those out! :pint:
soam24
Art Freak

Postby leveronea on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 am

Shure SE 215.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Is ... hure+se215

Will never use another kind of earbuds again.
leveronea
Art Connoisseur

Postby zefarrett on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 pm

I run with my AirPods.
zefarrett
Art Freak

me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)

Postby soam24 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

thanks all!
soam24
Art Freak

Postby KSUvet on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm not an expert, but I recently picked up some Jaybirds from Costco which seem like a pretty good deal for $50.
KSUvet
Art Expert

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Since I upgraded from an iPhone 6 Plus to an 8 Plus I ended up getting a pair of these -
headphones.JPG
headphones.JPG (41.42 KiB) Viewed 191 times

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C228T7E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have worked very well so far. The little wings on the earpiece hold them in place without being uncomfortable.
Last edited by ToolFanFromWayBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby rka00 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Sony - Model: MDRXB50AP/B, https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-E ... +buds+sony

31O0Auv0ucL__AC_US218_.jpg
31O0Auv0ucL__AC_US218_.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Great sound and bass, has a mic, and for running the silicone earbuds are comfortable and had no issues with staying in my ear, thought it was a good deal at $26
rka00
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am

rka00 wrote:Sony - Model: MDRXB50AP/B, https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-E ... +buds+sony

31O0Auv0ucL__AC_US218_.jpg

Great sound and bass, has a mic, and for running the silicone earbuds are comfortable and had no issues with staying in my ear, thought it was a good deal at $26

Bought a set based off here and online reviews. Well impressed. Good fit and decent audio. :clap:
rubberneck
Art God

Return to Anything Goes