At Least 50 Dead, 400+ Injured in Las Vegas Shooting

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby michaelmillichamp on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:27 pm

I am all for having a hand gun or a shotgun in your home for self defense. I live behind a camera store in LA that was robbed. There were 5 guys, all with crowbars and weapons, that destroyed the store and almost went out back into my house to continue looting, but the police drove by and saw them.

I didn't have a gun, I live in a 600sqft home, and all of the guys they caught had violent criminal records, so you better believe if they came in and I stood up, they'd probably hit me in the face with a crowbar.

When someone breaks into your home to steal fudge, there's no right or wrong way to defend yourself.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby finneganm on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm

If gun owners were required to hold insurance, the insurance companies would find a way to pick out the loonies. Maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. They don’t like paying out, and in a circumstance when you have close to 600 victims, they would not be interested in repeating the situation.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby wottagunn on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:37 pm

it would be a horrific situation, and im not sure how I would act, but I would guess that I would just piss off outside or something and let them be.
I own a few guns (I hunt) but wouldn't even think of going for them if someone strolled in my house. It wouldn't even cross my mind.
but I also know that, in australia, someone isnt going to have a pistol on them. It would have to be either a shotgun or a center fire bolt action rifle really.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Image Image Image ImageImage

Postby wottagunn on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm

finneganm wrote:If gun owners were required to hold insurance, the insurance companies would find a way to pick out the loonies. Maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. They don’t like paying out, and in a circumstance when you have close to 600 victims, they would not be interested in repeating the situation.

im listening to Real Time right now and this was just said:
"when the 82nd airborne jumped in to Normandy, about 170 men killed, 577 wounded, and another 700 missing. When a shooting at a country music festival kills 58 and injures almost 600, you gotta take a look at where things are headed" etc...

that's pretty insane
wottagunn
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm

michaelmillichamp wrote:Nobody broke into my home and hurt me.

And they probably never will.
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby bryndavies on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm a libtard through and through, but if you break into my house, I might shoot you. I fall in the camp that says drymount you if you break into my house. The only variable is how many of you there are and how scared I am.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby Codeblue on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Unless that fudge is under your pillow and fully loaded, odds are you'll be too late to get it before ya get confronted by said hypothetical boogie man.

P.S. 600 sq ft is more like a walk in closet than a #home.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby sidewaysscott on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 pm

wottagunn wrote:ive never really understood that. Defend yourself from what? other people with guns? maybe if there were less of them...
and the whole having guns at home for protection thing is another stupid point. If someone breaks in to your home, while you are there, just let them take your fudge. That's a reason why you have contents insurance. Surely you would rather lose a tv etc than kill/shoot somebody?!
the average burglar isn't looking to kill you either, im sure.

This. For sure. And if you’re a responsible gun owner I’m sure the gun is locked in a safe or safely secured away, additionally, I’m sure the gun is unloaded and perhaps a trigger lock engaged. Let’s say an intruder comes in...will you have time to get your gun? Unlock it from safe, take off trigger lock, and load the gun?

I’ve lived in some sketch places and I’ve never heard of anyone being invaded in their home.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby wottagunn on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
wottagunn wrote:ive never really understood that. Defend yourself from what? other people with guns? maybe if there were less of them...
and the whole having guns at home for protection thing is another stupid point. If someone breaks in to your home, while you are there, just let them take your fudge. That's a reason why you have contents insurance. Surely you would rather lose a tv etc than kill/shoot somebody?!
the average burglar isn't looking to kill you either, im sure.

This. For sure. And if you’re a responsible gun owner I’m sure the gun is locked in a safe or safely secured away, additionally, I’m sure the gun is unloaded and perhaps a trigger lock engaged. Let’s say an intruder comes in...will you have time to get your gun? Unlock it from safe, take off trigger lock, and load the gun?

I’ve lived in some sketch places and I’ve never heard of anyone being invaded in their home.

take my 30-06 rifle for example, here it must be stored in a safe which is either bolted to the ground or wall (obvious I know), but the bolt must also be removed and stored separately from the gun, and the ammo must also be in a separate lockable box/compartment. So my safe has a compartment inside it with a lock that stores my ammo, and my bolt is in a completely individual lock box to the gun safe entirely.
We also get checked randomly twice a year or so by the cops.
my shotgun must be dis-assembled prior to storage.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Postby michaelmillichamp on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Codeblue wrote:Unless that fudge is under your pillow and fully loaded, odds are you'll be too late to get it before ya get confronted by said hypothetical boogie man.

That's LA for you. At least I have a garage.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby gorkie on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:51 pm

IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6705.jpeg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 670 times
gorkie
Art Freak

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Postby bubbie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 am

^ This is very weak, IMO. It is obvious that the more guns there are, the more gun related deaths there will be; just like the more vehicles around, the more vehicle related deaths there are; more sugar, more tobacco and alcohol, more medications, etc.
Check this one out:

It shows a much clearer picture. The data was taken from a Wikipedia page (List of countries by intentional homicide rate), but only developed countries were taken into consideration.

As you see, the correlation is much weaker than on the graph presented by you.

Here is another one:

Correlation here is even weaker; and if you remove the outlier, being the United States of America, the correlation reduces dramatically.

bubbie
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 am

I like that "it's obvious that Y is true..." gets a pass in a stat analysis.

ps I'm guessing the dead don't care whether it happened on purpose. Also the US being an outlier is kind of the point.
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby bubbie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:12 am

fredo wrote:I like that "it's obvious that Y is true..." gets a pass in a stat analysis.

Elaborate.
fredo wrote:ps I'm guessing the dead don't care whether it happened on purpose.

I am sure they don't. I think the alive should though.
fredo wrote:Also the US being an outlier is kind of the point.

Duh?
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby ccsmd598 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:59 am

Codeblue wrote:Unless that fudge is under your pillow and fully loaded, odds are you'll be too late to get it before ya get confronted by said hypothetical boogie man.

Just get a german shepherd #problemsolved
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes