Velvet Print Conundrum

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby letstalkprints on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi, I am a new user here. I have started collecting prints over the past few months, mainly based upon the subject matter and the artist. But recently I have received prints that combine the above with the material or medium of print: velvet. The feeling of the velvet itself is amazing, I love it. Plus I enjoy just the way that the print is more flexible and less stiff. So here is the conundrum. I purchased these prints to have them framed, but if I do so, how can I enjoy the print medium of it being velvet? I know that I can frame it without glass, but that could lead to damage from sunlight and when touching it from the oil on hands. There are exact prints that are silkscreen, should I just purchase those to frame? But then how can I still display and enjoy the velvet prints and without causing any type of damage? Anyone else love velvet prints that have had similar thoughts or anyone that can throw in their two cents? Thanks
letstalkprints
Art Enthusiast

Postby Aedward5 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't have experience with velvet prints but I do have several prints with a Glow In The Dark (GID) layer. It's frustrating when you never see the GID layer if the print is under UV plexi. At the same time you definitely don't want to display a print without UV protection on it. I've just learned to live with it. You may or may not learn to resist the feel of velvet. If you can't live without it I would take your pieces to your local art museum and ask one of their experts. A lot of museums and universities with art history programs will have open house days where you can have your pieces looked at by an expert and ask questions. They would definitely know how to mount it.

I would also look at poster mountain's website. They could point you in the right direction and maybe do the work for you.
Aedward5
Art Enthusiast

Postby Codeblue on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Have the framer carefully poke a hole in the frame to retain peen rubbing access. Use one of those circular glass cutter thingees like the robbers use in the movies. Make sure to line the hole with velvet (or some other type of protection) for obvious reasons.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby finneganm on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:30 am

First buy a ream of just the most amazing velvet. Spend your time wisely shopping for it, because you're going to want to find the one that's perfect for you. Second, make sure you have access to a music source (doesn't have to be a bank account breaker, just a decent bass). Third, frame your print like a normal person. Now that the hard work is done, you can enjoy viewing your print. So you're going to want to hang your print in a nice long hallway (don't have one? Move!), ideally without direct sun exposure. Then vacuum the hallway thoroughly. Now you're going to want to unroll some of your velvet in the hallway, and you can be generous here, you want the fabric covering the entire floor within easy viewing of your print (7-10 feet in either direction). I can't stress enough that you're going to want the velvet side up. Now you're going to want to strip down completely naked. Go ahead, we're not watching. Finally you're going to want to press play on the Goodbye Horses track that you've previously queued up. Start sauntering over and enjoy! Roll around, get weird.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby letstalkprints on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 am

Lol, thanks everyone.
letstalkprints
Art Enthusiast

You're a troll. You're not making any contribution to the thread, you're a troll. We're guessing who trolls are. You know most users who only make jokes without trying to help are trolls? - Well I'm going home alright? EB's playing with its new guys.

Postby letstalkprints on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 am

Lol, thanks everyone.
letstalkprints
Art Enthusiast

You're a troll. You're not making any contribution to the thread, you're a troll. We're guessing who trolls are. You know most users who only make jokes without trying to help are trolls? - Well I'm going home alright? EB's playing with its new guys.

Postby mistersmith on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

finneganm wrote:press play on the Goodbye Horses track

mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Return to Anything Goes