TV (hardware) experts...recommend me a set

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby mistersmith on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Soon to be in the market for a TV. My only real concern is it be about 65 inches. Other than that, I'm looking for value. Note that I didn't say "cheap." I just want a damn good picture with nice enough components inside that it lasts a while -- my current set is coming on almost 7 years old, so, that's a good thing.

Don't care about tech, don't need a smart TV or voice or apps or even WiFi. Don't care. Dumb monitors are fine.

Don't need whatever this month's HDR OLED back-lit array whatever the hells are. Two year ago's tech if probably more than fine.

Our set has issues in very bright rooms, and with sunlight, so something that's bright AF and doesn't have a very refelctive screen is a big help.

Buying refurb/etc. from sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct is A-OK with me.

So, who knows their stuff here, and what's 2015's best 65-inch TV for bright rooms? Lol.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.

Postby wottagunn on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Buy a Sony tv mate. Can’t recommend them enough. Ive got 2 (a 50-ish 1080p, and a 60” 4k) and theyre both drymounting great. The 1080p ive had for 6 years now (just realised that) and it has never skipped a beat. And I reckon a good 4 years of that was heavy gaming use.

The 4k is a great picture, but I hate all the “smart” tv bullshit. Im not sure if you can get a tele these days without smart capabilities, which is a bit stupid. My 4k slows down to the point of it being pretty much unusable if you don’t update it. Netflix, youtube etc on the smart TV are rubbish also. The ps4 and other TV boxes perform much better.

Edit: if you go in to a store to check out some, make sure you look at the brightness/contrast settings. I know, by default, that LG screens have it set higher so they appear more vivid in stores showing those nature display promos.
wottagunn
Art Expert

ImageImageImage

Postby mr_rugby on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 am

I have a Sony as well. It's about 6-7 years old and it still looks good with no problems. My mom had a Samsung and it fudge the bed after about 3 years. My next TV will be a Sony. Most of the 65 inch TV's will run about 900-1200.

Edit: I also use it with my PS4, no problems
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby simianfever on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 am

I've had great luck and great picture quality with Vizio on several sets. I picked up the 2014 65" P-Series open box a couple years ago for a steal of a price and it has performed beyond expectations, especially if keeping up with picture calibration. In my opinion the best bang for your buck in a "value" situation will be with a Vizio. I have a friend with a lower end Samsung 65" that looks like ass in comparison and cost more new. More pixelation/blur, colors washed out. It may be because he is likely rocking out of the box settings he never bothered to touch, but the difference is night and day.

But regardless of brand, you can look for open box deals in your area. Best Buy used to have an easy online search option for this but I think it was neutered or at least not as easy to use/find last time I tried. Obviously there can be a little more risk with open box potentially having an issue but they are generally sold with the same manufacturer warranty as if it were truly unopened "new".

I miss Plasmas still, but have been pleased with Vizio LCDs we currently have in the house. Read review after review from several sources and take your time if looking for a good deal. Also check AVSForum.com, a wealth of knowledge in there.
simianfever
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am

Sony. Only Sony. Don't worry about Consumer Reports ranking other brands higher - any Sony you buy will bury them all.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby bubbie on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

Agree about Sony. Mine does not slow down though like wottagunn described. Must be a smarter one :lol:
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby Vorpel on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Alright - Sony is good, but so are Samsung, LG and Vizio (in that order). No specific set recommendations, though here are some things to think about...

General things to look for:

Best value around that size will include 65 up to 70" screen.
Get a 4k TV. They play HD (1080p) content better than 1080p displays and they are about as inexpensive (no real reason not to). Watching 4k content is really nice. Everyone has opinions on 4k content, so do yourself a favor and go and see for yourself.
If you have a Costco near you - but from them. They give a 2 year warranty vs the manufacturer's 1 year. You get 90 days to return the TV if you don't like, and if you have the Costco Visa card, purchasing on it will give you 2 additional years of warranty for 4 total at no extra cost.

Things to consider:
I hear you that you don't want a smart tv, but here are some things to consider that are quite helpful and worth while:

Netflix app on the TV. If you use Netflix, this is the way to go - especially as you can watch some of that Netflix stuff in 4k if you get a 4k tv (see above!)
YouTube app on the TV. Again, it is very handy to have this directly on the TV as the 4k content is best directly to the TV

You can get a Roku that can do 4k, but I've found since I bought my TV last November, we just don't use anything other than the TV and the apps built into it. My LG (http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UH6350-4k-uhd-tv) even has a Plex app for watching home video content.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Postby andruw000 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm

vizio p65. can still find 2016 models on closeout (2017 models are exactly the same, except a different remote).
andruw000
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I've been pretty happy with Samsungs over the years, still have one I bought in 2006, a 42 inch, 1080i, plasma - picture is still beautiful.

Have a 51" plasma now from 2013 that I bought in 2014 . . . think it's the last plasma Samsung put out. I rarely use the smart functions, but the tv performs wonderfully.

I can't disagree with the Sony recommendations though, I just haven't made the switch and have always found better deals on Samsungs.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby bryndavies on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 pm

I have a smart tv and it's slow as balls. Never use the feature because of that and still use Apple TV instead. I'm sure they have gotten better, but that's my take on it.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

Postby golobulus on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I had a SONY XBR5 for years. It was beautiful at the time I bought it and still looks great. Was looking to upgrade to 4K and bought a Samsung that I figured I would be very happy with. After getting it home it was much "dimmer" looking than our old Sony... I actually preferred the old over the new so I returned it and bought a new Sony XBR-65X930D. My 6 year old could instantly tell the difference in picture quality between the samsung and Sony. I'm totally sold on XBR.
golobulus
Art Expert

Postby binky79 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Got a 49" Sony 4K a year and a half ago, and it works great and I'm still really digging it. Havent had any issues with it outside of the occasional Android OS crash or software glitchyness. First TV I've ever had that occasionally needs to be rebooted.
binky79
Art Expert

Postby davemfan on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:45 am

Got a Samsung 8000 series last Fall. Really great set. Stunning 4k picture. Apps load quickly (even though you said you don't care about smart).
davemfan
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Postby theperfecttree on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:52 pm

it's been a few years since I kept up with the panel manufacturing industry but even then Sony had given up being a leader and spun off their TV division.
They've been getting by on previously earned brand loyalty for awhile now. Save a few $ and buy mid-range Samsung LG or Vizio. Stay away from the ultra low-end models from all brands, same goes for the high-end models which are often mid-range panels with added software and or components you probably don't need. Vizio P-series and M-series are great values based on your definition.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Postby Philpenn on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Erryone gots new ass TVs in here. Bought a 65" Sharp Aquos in '07, and am still loving it. Only complaint would be now that I watch something like Exodus with no HD streams. It's borderline unwatchable, and I have to imagine it'd look better on whatever's the new tech. Either way, whatever Sharp makes nowadays is probably worth checking out.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Next

Return to Anything Goes