Callout: Ambient Life/Lineo Commissions

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm going to leave out as much opinion as possible, and go based strictly on timeline of events, which should say a lot all by itself.

Commission group bigcartel: http://lineocommissions.bigcartel.com/

Member profile: AmbientLife http://forum.expressobeans.com/memberli ... le&u=65160

7/30/15 : http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 2&t=157394

A year goes by.

8/02/16: I message on EB re: status, and ask to be added to the FB group (deleted FB profile for a bit, then came back later. Needed to be readded to the FB group.)
8/03/16: Message on FB. No response.
8/05/16: response: "It's being printed as we speak!" Was not added to FB group.
10/02/16: No sign of life. Message here again. No response/ message read that day.
10/4/16: Message on FB. No response.
10/17/16: Message here again. No response, message read.
10/20/16: Bump thread to see if anyone has seen him. Also message him that day, which shows as read very quickly with no response. Fellow member says in thread they've seen him camping at Mondocon. Pm the member, ask him to say something to AL.
10/21/16: AL responds after hearing from other member in person at Mondocon line - says he'll have info in week re: reprint over shipping damage. I request to be added to FB group again. Not added.
11/05/16: Message on FB again, after giving two weeks to wait for promised info. Message read.
11/07/16: Response: "We're going to reprint, Printer will be starting this week."
11/29/16: Message here to ask to be added to FB group. Still not added. Message read.
12/03/16: First confrontation about being avoided. Ask for refund. Response that day saying they added me on FB, can't add me to the group until we're FB friends. Still doesn't add me to group (which should be said that is necessary to what is going on, because all of the updates are happening there, and if I am missing a payment, is where I'll be notified).
12/13/16: Message on FB again - still not added to group, need to know if I owe anything else/any other details. Response is that shipping damage occurred, and new ones are being reprinted (after being told they were first being printed in August - I know it doesn't take this long to get first run printed, but still wanting the print).
12/21/16: Message/group post saying reprints have arrived (!!!).
01/13/17: Message on FB - have these been shipped? No response, message read.
01/15/17: Post in original thread, calling out the process. Within hours, of that post, get message from him on FB saying shipping materials just arrived this week (mind you, my print arrived in a recycled Mondo tube, with recycled kraft paper that had been torn and taped for previous delivery, and then not taped when shipped to me. I don't mind the Mondo tube, but you probably see my point. I've also ordered bulk shipping tubes from Yazoo before, they don't take this long to ship). I ask for a refund because I'm over it. Tell him callout thread is imminent, if these don't get shipped (the group is of 30 people, and several have been asking for months and months at this point). Excuses come forward re working, and then insults come forward about how not everybody has the luxury of taking time off during the holidays (which I know, because I worked over the holidays, too).
01/18/17: Tracking arrives on FB.

Today: I pick it up form the post office. I get it to work and want to check the status of it after having read the OCE GFII shipping notice thread. Open it up, and first thing I see when looking for issues is fat dirty fingerprint in the art, upper right hand corner. I have access to tools at my work that allowed me to remove a good portion of it, but it's still somewhat there. I could probably live with it, but:

ImageImageImage

All of which are far more prominent to my eye than my phone seems to capture - poor lighting on my end, what can I say. I don't even know what to say about the numbering. It's obvious, and there's no way to frame it out. The rub on the black would be one thing if it were much lighter and didn't cover so much area, but it's neither of those things.

At this point, I just want out. I ask for a refund. Refused for the second time: I have an unwritten rule thrown in my face about no refunds. I ask him to just sell it to someone else in the group wanting an AP. He won't, calls it my problem.

After all of this, and knowing that I wasn't happy with his record of communication/handling of the business at hand, he numbers it poorly, rookie-rolls it with tons of rubs and at least one dirty fingerprint (that I can see so far), and sends it to me in a recycled tube after saying that part of the delay was waiting for ordered shipping materials, on top of insulting me regarding how my time is spent, which, frankly, is out of line and nobody's business but mine. Avoids responding to people until after the business is being brought out of the FB group and PM's (a terrible way to handle things, by any means).

No idea if he's going to come through with a pristine print at this point, which he has promised, after another rude exchange regarding how this was so poorly handled. If it doesn't show up pristine, selling it for my money spent (which is what I want because I don't want anything to do with print at this point) will be impossible, and I'll have no recourse.

There you have it. Do what you will with the info. Buyer beware. And yes, I realize some will say that a refund isn't exactly the norm, but this behavior/handling isn't either.
Last edited by howdyall on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Who?

P.S. Since there's a timeline, does this mean this is the new new OCE thread?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:Who?

P.S. Since there's a timeline, does this mean this is the new new OCE thread?
Ambient Life profile, has very few posts: http://forum.expressobeans.com/memberli ... le&u=65160

And I don't think this is near what the OCE thread is. That one was a beast entirely it's own.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

If this is who I think it is, he's been called out on FB before for shady commission stuff and ducking people. All similar stories to yours
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Can we please see how godawful this full poster is?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Codeblue wrote:Can we please see how godawful this full poster is?
Actually, I think it's all right, but then I loved the Scanner Darkly movie. If you hated it, or Waking Life, you'll think it sucks, I'm sure.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I like both those flicks, can I see the poster?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Never seen either one, but I'm positive the poster will suck.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 pm

yeah that print job is no bueno
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 pm

drymount it, it's out in the wild. For the record, I'm no die-hard Keanu fan. I just love the book, and the film was pretty good.

Print by Aseo, who did well with the material from the film (which you'll see if you watch it).

GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:00 pm

now post a pic of the print to compare to the jpeg
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:02 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:now post a pic of the print to compare to the jpeg
I can't do that at the moment, but someone else has already unwrapped theirs with similar comment re: scuffs. I don't think the photo they took had good lighting, either.
fredo
Art God

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

It's a good flick anyway.
just a foil for me today, thanks
howdyall
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:54 pm

fredo wrote:It's a good flick anyway.
It is! And if Blue hates the art, he'd probably hate the movie. Aseo nailed it, for what it's worth.
xangelx
Art Expert

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Another classic commission turd. Congrats to everyone involved!

Sorry it was such a hassle for this end result.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion