All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:12 pm

If you order yourself some high quality Berkshire or other sort of heritage hog ribs, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. I've become such a snob now that regular store bought avg quality/cut ribs just don't do it for me. I'll price myself right out of this hobby like all the others in no time.
ImageT.K.C.
shoeless
Art Expert

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Getting ready for my first smoke of the year tomorrow.
Going to be doing my first pork butt (only 4#) and might try to get a rack in there later in the day as well.

Also, gonna be using Pecan for the first time.

Time to prep that meat!
zefarrett
Art Freak

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

I want to eat literally all of the BBQ when I'm down in Austin in a few weeks.
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Any of you blokes use the minion method with lump charcoal in your offset?
Ive read the temp is much more stable, it’s almost set and forget. Thinking of trying it this Saturday with my turkey cook.
shoeless
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 pm

wottagunn wrote:Any of you blokes use the minion method with lump charcoal in your offset?
Ive read the temp is much more stable, it’s almost set and forget. Thinking of trying it this Saturday with my turkey cook.
That's my go to. Fill chamber with enough unlit briquettes to last the smoke. Lay some wood chunks on top of that. Fire up about 15-20 coals in the chimney. Dump them on when covered in ash.

Easy peasy.
Last edited by shoeless on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoeless
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 pm

shoeless wrote:Getting ready for my first smoke of the year tomorrow.
Going to be doing my first pork butt (only 4#) and might try to get a rack in there later in the day as well.

Also, gonna be using Pecan for the first time.

Time to prep that meat!
This turned out really good! (I need to start taking pictures)
Meat went on at 10am.
I had a temp drop mid day cause the mrs. had me run to pick up some shrubs.
Other than that, held solid temp around 250.
Stalled IT at 164 degrees mid afternoon.
Finally had to foil wrap it at 5pm cause we had friends coming.
Removed form heat at 6:15 and let rest till 7.

Meat pulled apart easily.
Good smoke ring.
Really wish I would've got a pic.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 pm

shoeless wrote:
wottagunn wrote:Any of you blokes use the minion method with lump charcoal in your offset?
That's my go to. Fill chamber with enough unlit briquettes to last the smoke. Lay some wood chunks on top of that. Fire up about 15-20 coals in the chimney. Dump them on when covered in ash.

Easy peasy.
thats what I want to hear!
man im excited for this turkey. will take photos of every step!
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 am

I came for the posters and ended up spending my load on delicious BBQ, the perfect thin crust pizza and some really drymounting crazy beers. Man, I love EB :cheers:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

zefarrett wrote:I want to eat literally all of the BBQ when I'm down in Austin in a few weeks.
Which spots do you have your eye on?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm

The better question is, what is your fav bbq spot in Austin?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ldiddy
Art Expert

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:22 pm

The even better question is, why would you ever need to eat anywhere beyond these two staples?

http://www.johnhardysbbq.com/

http://w1.qfanatic.com/
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm

shoeless wrote:

Easy peasy.
Turkey is in the brine!

Ive got a few questions in regards to the minion method which im trying tomorrow:
- How long does it take to get the smoker to temp? (say 225)
- What do I do if it gets too hot?
- How long does it burn for, and what do I do when/if the coals/briquettes burn out? just add wood?

If anyone could answer inside of 24 hours that would be great! thanks
shoeless
Art Expert

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 pm

wottagunn wrote: Ive got a few questions in regards to the minion method which im trying tomorrow:
- How long does it burn for, and what do I do when/if the coals/briquettes burn out? just add wood?
***Disclaimer: I am, by no means, an expert. Still learning as well. The following has worked for me in my WSM***

***I have only used Kingsford Original (blue) coals. No fluid.***

- Once hot coals are added to bed of unlit briquettes/wood chunks, a steady 225 usually takes 30-45 minutes.

- I am usually able to control temp by closing/opening vents. If this isn't helping, or the temp is steady above 300 or so, I'll remove some briquettes.

- I usually have a relatively thin base of unlit coals.....maybe 25-30, and ~10 good chunks of wood. Ill add the chimney of 10-15 to that. It doesn't seem like much, but that usually holds 225 steady for 5-6 hours. With my last smoke(the Boston butt) I ended up needing to add more briquettes halfway through. I only add wood the first half of the smoke.....just enough to have a thin blue smoke for the first couple hours.

I've never used an offset, so I really couldn't tell you if the above will work with your application. It has always proven to work with my setup though. Just allow an hour or so to dial in the temp. The coals should do most of the work after that.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 pm

shoeless wrote:
wottagunn wrote: Ive got a few questions in regards to the minion method which im trying tomorrow:
***Disclaimer: I am, by no means, an expert. Still learning as well. The following has worked for me in my WSM***

***I have only used Kingsford Original (blue) coals. No fluid.***

- Once hot coals are added to bed of unlit briquettes/wood chunks, a steady 225 usually takes 30-45 minutes.

- I am usually able to control temp by closing/opening vents. If this isn't helping, or the temp is steady above 300 or so, I'll remove some briquettes.

- I usually have a relatively thin base of unlit coals.....maybe 25-30, and ~10 good chunks of wood. Ill add the chimney of 10-15 to that. It doesn't seem like much, but that usually holds 225 steady for 5-6 hours. With my last smoke(the Boston butt) I ended up needing to add more briquettes halfway through. I only add wood the first half of the smoke.....just enough to have a thin blue smoke for the first couple hours.

I've never used an offset, so I really couldn't tell you if the above will work with your application. It has always proven to work with my setup though. Just allow an hour or so to dial in the temp. The coals should do most of the work after that.
Firstly, thank you!

Im certainly not going to hold you to any of this so don’t worry haha. The method sounds pretty good to me so ill be giving it a shot in my offset. I cant see why it would work any differently (although ive read the WSM holds temps really well).
I’ll be using some high quality hardwood coal lumps, and am allowing 1 hour to get it to temp.
My thinking is that ill leave a few inches gap at the vent, with a nice layer of maybe 2 briquettes to fill the rest of the firebox. And a few wood chunks on top. I’ll half fill my chimney. Last time I filled it to the brim, it took a long time to get it under 300.
And that’s about it I guess. The turkey is a quick cook so I doubt there’ll be any fire maintenance at all, if I achieve 225ish in the first hour.

Ill share photos of every step! drymount I cant wait to try it!
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I've been skimming through this thread and now I'm so damn hungry!

I've got a pellet smoker (RecTec) - are smoke tubes worth getting? I usually do a pork butt at 225 for 12-13 hours and I get a good smoke ring but I'm wondering if I am missing out on infusing more flavor.

Thanks!