All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Holy fudge im getting in to a whole thing here! A lot of information out there!
Thanks for the info gents. Will go in and grab that offset I think. Stay tuned!
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Alright smokers, tell me whats right and wrong here.
I’ve read and watched quite a bit over the last few days and im trying to piece it all together. This is my interpretation of the process.

- for first use, burn it out for a few hours to remove all traces of paint/chemicals
- add second temp gauge (the one im purchasing has only one, closer to the end opoosite the fire)
- always clean it of ash to allow for better air flow
- use coals as the base of the fire
- once coals are hot, add timber to maintain heat
- add chips/wood as needed. Don’t add coal again
- manage temperature with the offset vent and chimney dampener – open to add heat, close to cool
- add wood only through the side door of the offset, not the top
- once at desired temp, add meat
- add bowl of water depending on meat and desired cook
- open/check meat as little as possible
- add temp gauge to meat
- check temp every 30 minutes or so
- cover meat with foil if: its too smoky, too dry, or to speed up the cook

And that’s about all I can recall right now. How does that all sound?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:29 am

Sounds about right.

To break it in and season it, I rubbed the entire inside down with soaked paper towels with vegatoble oil, but peanut would work too and has a higher smoke/burn temp I believe. Light a fire in the firebox and burn it for a few hours to seal it in and burn off any factory crap.

I added a second gauge, and replaced the temp gauge it came with. I'm a fan of the tel-tru temp gauges. They are about $50 a pop, but worth it. See my pics in the initial post of this thread. You can also refine/modify your smoker by using high temp silicone to seal the parts together, and add the fire gauge along the edges of the firebox and main smoker lid.

I do not like traditional Briquette charcoal anymore for a few reasons, but I use lump charcoal as my base fire and add logs or wood chunks as needed.
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:40 am

How'd you go about adding the temp gauges? Easy to do?
I'm guessing they're a universal size, seeing as you replaced the default one.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:15 pm

My offset came with one and then there was another slot already there to add another, so all I had to do was screw them in by hand. I've just added a temp gauge to another grill where I had to drill a hole, but that was fairly easy.

I have the glow in the dark dials that are about 2/3s the way down. http://kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html Be mindful of how long a stem you want on your gauge. I'd say the longer the better to get most accurate readings, and now seeing that there are 6" versions (mine is 4"), I kind of wish I got the longer ones.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Chimney for starting the charcoal is a must wottagunn
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:57 pm

piper27 wrote:Chimney for starting the charcoal is a must wottagunn

Good call.
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:01 pm

Wow that is one old dodgy looking website.
Ill definitely pick up a decent 6” thermo, cheers.

And yep a chimney is on my to-buy list also. And some gloves and a fire poker
davemfan
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:16 pm

If i were you i would bypass buying a 2nd dial type thermometer. Just get this https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Rem ... 2B732&th=1

It has two probes. Place one anywhere you like. The thermometer has clips that you can fasten and insert a probe to get your grate temp. Then it has another probe you insert into the meat to get the meat temp. OR both can be used for grate temps or meat temps. whatever. Tel tru temps are good dial thermometers but not necessary if you buy a maverick. I never use my WSM thermometer now when i cook because the Maverick is so much more accurate and reliable.

Setting a probe on your grate with the clip will give you actual temps you're getting at the cooking surface / where your meat is being cooked. Once i started doing this and ignoring my WSm thermo i started getting much better cooking results.
ImageImageImage
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:54 pm

I definitely like the idea of that, id prefer not to drill a hole in the smoker.
Monitoring wirelessly too seems like the way to go.
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Maverick is a must for keeping an eye on true temps. Also I clip mine on my belt and it reaches close to 1000 ft. I didn't drill a hole in mine. Just ran it through the door. The cords are pretty durable
davemfan
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Another thing to think about is using that smoker you picked out as a "stick burner". I have no experience at all with a stick burner, however i have researched a lot. I even thought about buying a stick burner. Some people say the flavor a stick burner gives you cannot be beat. However, stick burners require a lot of attention, like every 30-45 minutes. Which can get tedious if you're doing a 8, 10, 12 hour cook. If you do not want to baby sit your new smoker and want more of a set-it and forget it type cooker then i would think twice about using it as a stick burner or buy a different cooker altogether.
ImageImageImage
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:51 pm

yep, thats what im after! jumping straight in to the deep end
if I wanted anything else id stick with my oven.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm committed to smoking the turkey this thankagiving, so I've taken the advice above and purchased a wireless thermometer with two probes to monitor internal meat temp and smoker temp. The recipes I've been looking at seem pretty killer. But it will be interesting giving this a go with weather in the 20s.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Did a turkey last year in 15 degree weather in Mn. With a non insulated smoker I ran through a bag of charcoal. Really hard to keep the smoker temp up.