All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 pm

kcn0 wrote:My Summit gets delivered tomorrow, and I’m insanely excited to try it out
Curious if it's worth all that coin
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
roo
Art Expert

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

piper27 wrote:
kcn0 wrote:My Summit gets delivered tomorrow, and I’m insanely excited to try it out
Curious if it's worth all that coin
I have cooked on a few. Being a chef where i used to work we used them on larger catering jobs as the punters love to see there food being cooked. If you had the money spare great but i have used better for far less money. Part time cooks do seem to love there bells and whistles and are happy to pay for them even tho things that are marketed as new ie infrared searing plate have been around for 35-40yrs. I must say i do enjoy watching the shows that come out of the US like BBQ PitMaster and the like nothing like a BBQ down here but interesting stuff. You folk over there must have high blood pressure with the amount of salt you use,, :shock: Also what is counted as meat injection down here is a lot different to what you have... :lol: Carry on cooking. Remember Low and Slow is the way to Go.. :pint:
kcn0
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:25 pm

It is definitely a 'bells and whistles' kind of thing. My WSM cooks excellent food, but I wanted something new... and I am a Weber fan boy. If you haven't dealt with Weber in the past, their customer service is TOP tier! I actually live pretty close to where Weber started, and still resides.

The Summit finally landed this morning, so I plan to set her up either tonight or tomorrow (whenever I first get a little free time).
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:31 pm

wottagunn wrote:anyone ever considered operating a trailer/food truck for this?
so over the last few days ive been looking in to this. I have found a few Australian fabricators that make some nice looking smokers! Most are reverse flow, which I find a bit odd, but I think most of them can change that pretty easily as they seem to be made to order.
A few companies also sell them on trailers ready to go. I love the idea, as a weekend job, but dont know if id ever actually go through with it.

https://www.scsmokers.com.au/

http://grillpro.com.au/category/yoder-o ... d-smokers/

https://www.manhornesmokers.com.au/

http://reddirtsmokers.com.au/

http://www.rusticsoul.com.au/

http://radarhillsmokers.com.au/

and bryn, if I ever act on this you're welcome to come down to smoke and drink beers for as long as you want.
piper27
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:36 pm

That would for sure be my dream job. There is an old retired man that sells ribs on the weekends in the middle of nowhere here. Town of like 12 people. I always see people in his driveway. He has a smoker on wheels.

Sad thing is I've never stopped to try them or even just to talk shop with him.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Sweet, wotta! I’m telling you, dont temp me to take a sabbatical, cause I’ll do it.

Those smokers legit legit AF, and I’ve hea s good things about that reverse flow, although I’m not quite sure what it’s suppeed benefits are.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Wotta, you should come stateside to go on a bbq tour to do some R&D on your future endeavor.
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 pm

bryndavies wrote:Sweet, wotta! I’m telling you, dont temp me to take a sabbatical, cause I’ll do it.

Those smokers legit legit AF, and I’ve hea s good things about that reverse flow, although I’m not quite sure what it’s suppeed benefits are.
DO IT!

how cool is the one with the pulley for the lid?! I want it.
Reverse flow smokers are supposed to cook a lot more evenly. the temp throughout the whole chamber is the same, because the smoke does a 360 through it (under the baffles then over the top of the meat, then exits).

id love to go over to the States regardless. and id definitely hit up a few bbq joints. one day.
shoeless
Art Expert

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:03 am

Those are some serious rigs!

I got married a few years ago and for my bachelor party, we rented a cabin and did some fly fishing for 4 days.
A good friend is a competition BBQer and has won best racks many times. He pulled his trailer to the cabin and we feasted like kings.
We have made that an annual trip the past few years and dubbed it Meat Sweats.
Last year there was 23lb's of baby backs, 14lb brisket, 8lb's of pulled pork, 3lb's of bacon, 2lb's of turkey, beans and armadillo eggs.

This years Meat Sweats is exactly a month away...a weekend I look forward to all year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 am

all of that sounds drymounting amazing.
renting a cabin and fishing for 4 days itself is good, adding in smoked meats just tops it off.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 am

What are those bacon wrapped jammers in there?
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 am

Damn what a spread
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 am

​Chooks today in the offset. Had them in a brine for 24 hours, then rubbed them with salt, pepper and paprika. Smoked for about 2 hours 15 mins at 275ish. Turned out amazing. Looking forward to my lunch sangas this week at work.

piper27
Art Expert

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 am

Geez wotta you're Killin it!
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 am

piper27 wrote:Geez wotta you're Killin it!

And those birds look incredibly edible.
ImageT.K.C.