All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks guys!

It was delicious! I highly recommend giving it a shot. Brine was 3/4 cup salt, half cup white sugar. When I checked the IT the breast was about 180F, which is above the safe temp so they couldve come off earlier. A 2hr cook is pretty appealing, so I think I'll do better doing plenty more of these in the future.
piper27
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

So everyone with off set smokers, how many of you have reverse flow? I'm looking to get an off set and have read lots of great things about the Oklahoma Joe's for a starter that won't break the bank. Any opinions on reverse flow versus just the standard off set?
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
soam24
Art Freak

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I feel like if I get an electric smoker I'll be less manly but I don't really care #unpopularopinion
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm

piper27 wrote:So everyone with off set smokers, how many of you have reverse flow? I'm looking to get an off set and have read lots of great things about the Oklahoma Joe's for a starter that won't break the bank. Any opinions on reverse flow versus just the standard off set?
ive never used one, but they are super popular. supposedly have better and more even heat distribution. But with that, you lose a little bit of control that a normal offset offers, via moving the tuning plates. I like being able to place thinner bits of meat closer to the stack where I know it's cooler.
And apparently a reverse flow uses more wood, but thats neither here nor there.
Honestly, I dont think id have an issue with buying a reverse flow. It's all about your understanding of what the smoker does more than anything. It took me a few cooks to figure out my smoker, and im sure thats the same with all kinds.
piper27
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm

wottagunn wrote:
piper27 wrote:So everyone with off set smokers, how many of you have reverse flow? I'm looking to get an off set and have read lots of great things about the Oklahoma Joe's for a starter that won't break the bank. Any opinions on reverse flow versus just the standard off set?
ive never used one, but they are super popular. supposedly have better and more even heat distribution. But with that, you lose a little bit of control that a normal offset offers, via moving the tuning plates. I like being able to place thinner bits of meat closer to the stack where I know it's cooler.
And apparently a reverse flow uses more wood, but thats neither here nor there.
Honestly, I dont think id have an issue with buying a reverse flow. It's all about your understanding of what the smoker does more than anything. It took me a few cooks to figure out my smoker, and im sure thats the same with all kinds.
Just out curiosity what's temp next to your fire box compared to the temp by the smoke stack? A lot of people say that it differs drastically or is that them just not knowing how to manage their fire?
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

about 100F in most cases
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 pm

with these ribs, you can see the bottom right one is far smaller than the top left one, so that was placed at the stack and the big one near the firebox. Took them off at the same time and both were cooked evenly.

piper27
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 pm

You have your smoker down pretty good with temps. You do need to open that weekend smoke shack!
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm

thanks mate
id love to start cooking on a different smoker, or buy a second one on the cheap and manage two at the same time just to see how I go.
im trying to plan a big cook sometime in the next few weeks that ill send out an open FB invite too or something. try to get a few people tasting the food and giving honest opinions
roo
Art Expert

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm

wottagunn wrote:thanks mate
id love to start cooking on a different smoker, or buy a second one on the cheap and manage two at the same time just to see how I go.
im trying to plan a big cook sometime in the next few weeks that ill send out an open FB invite too or something. try to get a few people tasting the food and giving honest opinions
If i happen to be down south when you happen to be doing a cook/smoke i would be more than happy to pop in for a tasting with a free critic. I think if this was done right you could make some good money. There really is a big hole in the market when it comes to decent street food and there are lots of punters in Melbourne and Sydney that would pay top money for a quality Bbq/smoked product, plus it would be a fudge load of fun.. :clap:
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:38 pm

I agree mate. I think it's definitely financially viable, especially considering the initial outlay of a mobile smoker isn't a whole lot. Some of the ones I posted above start around $8k AUD ($6k usd). You could sell meat for a whole lot more than the purchase price, especially if selling pork and sausages. Just stay away from beef ribs really.
It would depend on what permits and fees would apply too. I honestly have no idea where to start with this sort of thing.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 pm

bryndavies wrote:What are those bacon wrapped jammers in there?

armadillo eggs
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 am

PLUSH wrote:
bryndavies wrote:What are those bacon wrapped jammers in there?

armadillo eggs

Had to google image, but god damn those things look tasty. How the F did I never hear of these growing up in the Midwest with family all over Texas. My grandad was a classic Texan through and through, lived on a farm in Bastrop.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 am

soam24 wrote:I feel like if I get an electric smoker I'll be less manly but I don't really care #unpopularopinion
I'd say if you'd like "set it and forget it" option that's definitely the way to go. I enjoy tending the fire and using that as an excuse for not having to do anything around the house for a full day
soam24
Art Freak

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 pm

piper27 wrote:
soam24 wrote:I feel like if I get an electric smoker I'll be less manly but I don't really care #unpopularopinion
I'd say if you'd like "set it and forget it" option that's definitely the way to go. I enjoy tending the fire and using that as an excuse for not having to do anything around the house for a full day

That's the logic here for sure.