All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:10 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Nice wotta, carrying the bbq torch nicely for EB. :clap:

Sausage is already so flavorful, does a long slow smoke really make it that much better? Quick charring on the grill seems to do me nicely.
dont get me wrong, I love a snag on the barbie. but a sausage in a smoker only takes about 30 mins too and Aaron Franklin makes them look amazing. So it's definitely something im keen to try.

bryndavies wrote: Love beef ribs. Never cooked them, and they're expensive as hell here, can't imagine what you'll pay for em. But they're damn fine. My buddy does them and says it's basically like a brisket, just a shorter cook by a few hours or more. I'll ask him if there are any other tips he picked up. But I must say, beef ribs might be my favorite. Taste like brisket, but they look like awesome dinosaur ribs.

Edit. I've done two massive briskets. Which might be why I'm hesitant to do one in the near future. The cook was 12+ hours, and since I had people coming over at 3-4, that meant I was up at 1am trimming and prepping. That was a long day. I follow Aaron franklins method for brisket. Simple and effective. Have you watched his YouTube videos? He has a ton, but there are three re brisket about the prep, the fire, and the cook.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ovXzAQ3EUu
The ribs weren't too bad. I did pay $102 for the two briskets though. Shocked me a bit
especially cos my dickhead mates will just come around and devour them within a few minutes.
Im banking on around 12-14 hours for them. I'll get the smoker to temp around 10-11pm one night, load it up with red gum, and get up every 2 hours or so just to check the wireless temp guage. Think it should be fine. Means they will hopefully be ready around lunch time the following day.

and of course ive seen the legends work! I read his book when im smoking.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 am

Brisket is less forgiving than the pork in that it is easier to dry it out. Watch your internal temp.

I've only done brisket a handful of times b/c the cost Vs. output is expensive. The last time I did one I had 5 people over and there was zero leftovers (as opposed to the more affordable pork shoulder in which I always have a bunch of leftovers). It's a 'treat meat', I usually order it when I go to BBQ restaurants.

Save the little burnt ends of the bark and throw it in a poutine. MMMMMMM burnt end poutine.
squalie
Art Expert

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Anyone have recommendations on smoking at turkey for thanksgiving? I did one a few years back, and it turned out great, but can’t remember a damn thing I did other than the brine.
piper27
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 am

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_ ... urkey.html

This is how I do my turkeys. Turn out awesome.
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
squalie
Art Expert

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

piper27 wrote:http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_ ... urkey.html

This is how I do my turkeys. Turn out awesome.
Thanks piper, I’ll give it a go.
piper27
Art Expert

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Said drymount it to the 28 degree temp and threw these on the top rack while the turkey sits on the bottom

piper27
Art Expert

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:58 pm

rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 am

Piper - how do you keep the skin on the turkey from burning / turning black? Did you tent it with foil or just use a low temp for the duration of the cook? Looks tasty :drool:
piper27
Art Expert

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:39 am

Just a low temp. 200 to 225. Hard to get any higher with the ambient air temp only being 28. I just let it roll, never wrap with foil or paper. I don't smoke it very heavy. Only like 10 small chunks of wood in the first 2 hrs of the cook. Then only charcoal after that for additional fuel. I've seen a lot of birds on instagram that look black as hell. Can't imagine that tastes good.
piper27
Art Expert

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:59 pm

More ribs still smoking

wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

alright guys, im gonna smoke a brisket tomorrow. first time for me.
Can anyone give me a run down on what I should be doing?
thinking just salt and pepper rub, trim it down, 275, cook for 5 or so hours without looking, then start spritsing every hour til its cooked. not wrapping it either.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Sounds pretty much right. You wanna be at around 200-205 F internal temp when you finally pull it off. Spritzing often isn't really even totally necessary - you'll see if it's rolling along nicely at an even temp that it stays pretty well lubed up. Hitting it once in a while to clear clinging smoke and check color will prob be frequent enough. If your temp spikes way up don't hesitate to open the door and let some heat out. You can dry it out and crisp the point pretty quickly if you let it get up to 325-350 for any extended period of time.

Have fun and toss some pics up when you're done!

Edit: Also, make sure you have a water pan in there and keep it filled. I have one that's prob about a quart and I need to refill it every 3.5-4 hours or so.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Codeblue wrote:Ya'll ever q LAMB?
This is at the top of the list for me right now. I just need to find a place that sells a nice looking shoulder.

I'm giving pastrami a shot for the first time this weekend. Been curing in the fridge for about a week and a half now. Will report back - just hoping not to kill anyone.
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote: Have fun and toss some pics up when you're done!
yes post pictures my smoker is covered in snow and it's -10F so it would be nice to see someone enjoying keeping the flame

:cheers:
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Ya'll ever q LAMB?
This is at the top of the list for me right now. I just need to find a place that sells a nice looking shoulder.
Top of my list for next season as well. I see costco has lamb racks and shoulders. I'd like to find a local farmer to source meat from though.