All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
piper27
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Done. Took about 14 hrs. It was about 43 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning when I started. 78 when I finished. Minnesota is messed up. Anyway they fell apart perfectly. I only injected one. That one turned out super moist. I'll be doing that to all butts from now on. Also thanks for the Pecan wood tip. That fudge is amazing. Really nice and different flavor from the cherry wood.

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Damn^^^^

Is red gum something super heady we need to get in on, as in selling it?
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:42 pm

That shoulder looks nuts! Good jobe mate.

Mine is coming along nicely, or so it seems. Will have my first look soon.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 am

Here's mine boys. 9 hours total, held at 260 the entire time. First look was at 5 hours in, where I began spritsing it every 45 mins or so. Temp'd it at 9 hours and it was bang on 195. fudge just ripped apart and the bark was incredible. Super happy with the result. Red gum is amazing.

piper27
Art Expert

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 am

Damn that bark is spot on! Looks like a masterpiece :notworthy:
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 am

Thank you sir! I was, and still am, very happy with it.
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 pm

wottagunn wrote:Thank you sir! I was, and still am, very happy with it.
What'd you use as a rub for the bark? Looks great :drool:
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 pm

rhythmgtr5 wrote:
wottagunn wrote:Thank you sir! I was, and still am, very happy with it.
What'd you use as a rub for the bark? Looks great :drool:
kosher salt and 16 mesh black pepper mostly, with some garlic and onion powder added. And a little cayenne and paprika
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 pm

wottagunn wrote:Here's mine boys. 9 hours total, held at 260 the entire time. First look was at 5 hours in, where I began spritsing it every 45 mins or so. Temp'd it at 9 hours and it was bang on 195. fudge just ripped apart and the bark was incredible. Super happy with the result. Red gum is amazing.

That is awesome looking! Definitely going to have to pick up a pork butt this week.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 pm

alright fellas, lets talk sausage!
I wanna smoke some up. Tell me everything I need to know, as I really havent looked in to it. Don't even know what can of sausage I can cook in it.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

thanks guys....

bought two briskets yesterday. Smoking those kittens up next weekend I think along with some ribs. Should be good!
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:35 pm

I've never done sausage before. So I'd be no help with that.

Never done brisket either. It's so big I don't think a full one would fit on my little 18" Weber Smoky Mountain. You going with a salt, pepper rub on the brisket?

Can't wait to see what you do with the ribs. That's always my go to
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:21 pm

first time doing brisket here too. and ill be doing two of them!
one is a packaged piece, about 4kg. The other is a cut from my butcher that he took off a much bigger cow. The brisket is massive. Ill post pictures on the day of the cook.
One ill do a salt and pepper rub, the other ill mix it up. And ill wrap one and leave the other as is. This way I can an idea of what id prefer for future cooks.
First time doing beef ribs too. Any tips on those would be appreciated, although im sure ill work it out.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Nice wotta, carrying the bbq torch nicely for EB. :clap:

Sausage is already so flavorful, does a long slow smoke really make it that much better? Quick charring on the grill seems to do me nicely.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 pm

wottagunn wrote:first time doing brisket here too. and ill be doing two of them!
one is a packaged piece, about 4kg. The other is a cut from my butcher that he took off a much bigger cow. The brisket is massive. Ill post pictures on the day of the cook.
One ill do a salt and pepper rub, the other ill mix it up. And ill wrap one and leave the other as is. This way I can an idea of what id prefer for future cooks.
First time doing beef ribs too. Any tips on those would be appreciated, although im sure ill work it out.

Love beef ribs. Never cooked them, and they're expensive as hell here, can't imagine what you'll pay for em. But they're damn fine. My buddy does them and says it's basically like a brisket, just a shorter cook by a few hours or more. I'll ask him if there are any other tips he picked up. But I must say, beef ribs might be my favorite. Taste like brisket, but they look like awesome dinosaur ribs.

Edit. I've done two massive briskets. Which might be why I'm hesitant to do one in the near future. The cook was 12+ hours, and since I had people coming over at 3-4, that meant I was up at 1am trimming and prepping. That was a long day. I follow Aaron franklins method for brisket. Simple and effective. Have you watched his YouTube videos? He has a ton, but there are three re brisket about the prep, the fire, and the cook.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ovXzAQ3EUu
ImageT.K.C.