All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
davemfan
Art Expert

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

wottagunn wrote:might do a pork shoulder this weekend - anybody have some tips for me?
my third cook in all, and my first pulled pork.

this is what im thinking of doing but certainly open to suggestions:
half half salt and black pepper rub, with some onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and brown sugar thrown in
get a good coverage of rub. let it rest to room temp
get smoker to about 275F or so. use a water pan, and whack the pork straight on
let it cook for about 4 hours, then spray it with apple cider etc every hour til fully cooked. Probably 8 hours total depending on the size of meat I can source
not going to wrap it
You want pulled pork to go to about 195-205 IT. I never wrap by butts / shoulders. My cooker (WSM) likes to hang around the 225-250 mark, i've learned to just let it cook where ever it wants. My butts usually take at least 10 hours, sometimes more. Big hunks of meat like that can and will stall on you. Try to avoid peeking as much as you can. Preparation and trimming is important. Butts usually have a ton of fat. You'll want to cook with fat cap down. I usually flip my butts (fat cap up) when they're at the 8 hour or so mark.
ImageImageImage
davemfan
Art Expert

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am

piper27 wrote:What kind of wood you using?
I've used pecan, oak, cherry, apple, peach, and maple. All of those are great. Pecan and maple are my personal favs.
ImageImageImage
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 am

Yea for shoulders I usually have temp set at 230F (go until internal 195F, as others have mentioned). For me usually works out to about 90 minutes/pound.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm

davemfan wrote:
wottagunn wrote:might do a pork shoulder this weekend - anybody have some tips for me?
my third cook in all, and my first pulled pork.

this is what im thinking of doing but certainly open to suggestions:
half half salt and black pepper rub, with some onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and brown sugar thrown in
get a good coverage of rub. let it rest to room temp
get smoker to about 275F or so. use a water pan, and whack the pork straight on
let it cook for about 4 hours, then spray it with apple cider etc every hour til fully cooked. Probably 8 hours total depending on the size of meat I can source
not going to wrap it
You want pulled pork to go to about 195-205 IT. I never wrap by butts / shoulders. My cooker (WSM) likes to hang around the 225-250 mark, i've learned to just let it cook where ever it wants. My butts usually take at least 10 hours, sometimes more. Big hunks of meat like that can and will stall on you. Try to avoid peeking as much as you can. Preparation and trimming is important. Butts usually have a ton of fat. You'll want to cook with fat cap down. I usually flip my butts (fat cap up) when they're at the 8 hour or so mark.
cheers mate
ill just keep the temp as steady as I can, but wont worry too much about it. ill work towards the IT mainly. im banking on around 60-90 mins per pound of meat

I'll keep all of yas updated. going to pick up the meat today
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 pm

2 butts, trimmed and ready for tomorrow at 330am
Going to try pecan wood and an injection for the first time

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Oh hell yeH!

I have about $400 worth of pork from tenderbelly sitting in my freezer since July. I've been a bad BBQ enthusiast. Granted, had a new kid, been doing a ton of house projects, etc.

Anyhow, let us know if you notice a difference with the pecan. It's been on the top of my list to try.
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:22 am

Here's my pork shoulder (half) ready for tomorrow. About 8lbs in your funny scale. Everything is good to go. Going on at 6am, using red gum.

Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 am

You guys are inspiring me to get a pork butt going!

Thanks
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 am

wottagunn wrote:Here's my pork shoulder (half) ready for tomorrow. About 8lbs in your funny scale. Everything is good to go. Going on at 6am, using red gum.
Red gum... That's awesome. I wonder what the US analog to that would be, or if there is anything close to it stateside. What other woods have you used for smokes? Enjoy, wotta!
piper27
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Damn wotta your knife skills are on point. You trimmed that like an expert! Can't wait to see what it looks like finished. Curious about your gum wood as well

:cheers:
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
geezer
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Red Gum eucalyptus
DO NOT USE - ELM, EUCALYPTUS, SYCAMORE, SWEET GUM TREES and LIQUID AMBER wood is unsuitable for smoking
This is from http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

geezer wrote:Red Gum eucalyptus
DO NOT USE - ELM, EUCALYPTUS, SYCAMORE, SWEET GUM TREES and LIQUID AMBER wood is unsuitable for smoking
This is from http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm
http://charcoalmelbourne.com.au/flavour ... ewood.html -- I think this particular eucalyptus is a bit different than the trees we know as eucalyptus, though it could be more closely analogous than I know. I'd still give it a go.

If any of y'all can find some persimmon wood, that is an amazing smoking wood.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm

The red gum I use is great for smoking. It burns for a very long time and holds its temp well.
I actually got the tip to use it from a local guy that smokes brisket and sells it out of a food truck around our area.

Cheers piper. I've got a bit of experience with the old knife and quite enjoy a bit of butchering. This started out as a whole pork shoulder (skin, fat layer, hock etc attached)

Cook progress - started the smoker about 1 hour ago. Has just held temp. Food will be going in shortly
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Cooking that shoulder bone-out?
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 pm

HairyHood wrote:Cooking that shoulder bone-out?
No, bone in. Will help hold it together if I do decide to flip it.
And to answer your previous question, I've only ever cooked with oak. This is my second time using red gum, but first proper cook with it. And I'm loving it.