Has anyone had a Septoplasty (deviated septum fixed)?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby IWish on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Heh. Nope.
IWish
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Postby BlakeAronson on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:55 pm

IWish wrote:Well, it's good that the surgery is behind you. Done and over with. Glad to see that you didn't get any damage to your brain.


pretty scary when you see how close they are working to your brain, its like 3mm away.

8 hours post op now. pretty painless. just a bit tired. The worse symptom is non stop blood and the urge to pick the crustiest nose ever. I can already breathe slightly better even with all this inflammation and crusty blood, and its supposed to only get better in the next 2-4 weeks.
User avatar
BlakeAronson
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Long Beach, CA
8=====D~~~~

Postby IWish on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

Got any good nose whistles going-on these days now? :wink:
IWish
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Postby BlakeAronson on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:19 pm

no pain in the head/nose, i just bled like crazy the first 24 hours and now my head feels like someone poured all the broken chips out of the bottom of a pringles can into my nose and I cant blow or pick them out, more congested now than right after the surgery.

funny enough i ended up with muscle pain in my neck, shoulders and upper abdomen. I had to google why and apparently it's the anesthesia that does it. Feels like a bad case of DOMS.
User avatar
BlakeAronson
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Long Beach, CA
8=====D~~~~

Postby piper27 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:52 pm

I can't wait to have this surgery done so I can finally breathe
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby BlakeAronson on Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:51 pm

thumbs up to ya
Attachments
thumbs up.jpg
thumbs up.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 862 times
User avatar
BlakeAronson
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Long Beach, CA
8=====D~~~~

Postby iambillyg on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Just now seeing this thread, otherwise I would have provided my experience earlier.

I broke my nose when I was in the second grade. My mother was told that I was too young to get it fixed at the time, so I ended up having a septoplasty done after I graduated high school. To get it covered by insurance, I had to have an allergy test performed, to prove that I was allergic to numerous things and my deviated septum was leading to the allergies/sore throats, etc. It worked and I had the operation.

After surgery, I didn't have much discomfort. It was more being embarrassed to show my face bruised and swollen, with splints in my nostrils. After a week (I think), I was able to my the splints removed and remember it being an absolutely insane feeling being able to breathe out of both nostrils for the first time in nearly 10 years. It was great. Weeks following this, I had the occasional snot-clot that I would need to clear, and noticed that I sneezed a bit more, but things were great.

Over time, though, cartilage began to build back up and I slowly started to only be able to breathe out of one nostril at a time again. Last year, I met with my doctor to see if I could have another septoplasty due to allergies and the inability to properly breathe. It was approved and I actually had my 12 month checkup last Tuesday.

The second time around, it turns out, is much worse/difficult. My doctor told me the operation would take 2 hours, but came out to inform my girlfriend at hour 3, "his nose is a mess". He did as much as he could, but because I had already had the surgery once before, even more cartilage had built up for them to clear out. The discomfort and pain following this one was much worse, as well as the amount of blood. Prior to the surgery, my doctor had told me to take a week off from work, which I thought was an overreaction; it wasn't.

Getting the splints out this time was also not as pleasant. I had a 'vasovagal' response, as it's called, due to a the vagus nerve being hit on the removal. I didn't faint, thankfully, but I got dizzy and immediately clammy. However, I could breathe, for a while. During my 6 month checkup, things had gone back to before the surgery; I can still only breathe out of one nostril. Now that I've done my 12 month checkup and things are the same, my doctor said if they performed another septoplasty, there'd be nothing to keep my nose from caving in, so it'd have to be a complete reconstruction. Seeing how I've made it this long with only 50% access to my nose, I don't care enough to pursue that.

Hope your experience was better than mine and you only need it done once. Feel better, OP.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10141
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby BlakeAronson on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 pm

had my first post procedure checkup today, 8 days later. pressure is still there, congestion is going away and the amount of stuff coming out of my nose has tapered off a lot the last 36 hours.

The doctor sprayed my nose with decongestant, then numbing spray, which basically makes you feel like you're getting water boarded, and then proceeding to pick my nose with tweezers the deepest it's ever ever been picked before. that was also the first time in my life i've ever had someone pick my own nose for me hah. It would have been better if they had done this like 4-6 days after, by day 8 my nose is pretty clear.

the hospitals bill posted to my insurance today, still waiting on the surgeons and anesthesiologists bills to hit.

hospital charged $22k :shock: I was there for a total of 5.5 hours... HOWEVER, 2.5 hours I sat in a bed just waiting for the procedure cause they had me come in way too early and were running behind. And then about 2 hours was just waiting to wake up and be ready to be discharged post op. This was really just a 1 hour out patient procedure... $22000.... Not sure what the surgeon and anesthesiologist costs will be.

Fortunately my max out of pocket is $2600. I fully expect I will hit it.

As for the results so far, still sinus pressure and swelling, congestion is mostly gone, feels a little weird still. I can already breathe better than I can ever remember in my life. And this is just one week in, full healing and results aren't to be expected until the fourth week.

So I can already say I recommend this to anyone on the fence. A little suffering for quite a quality of life improvement.
Attachments
surgerycosts2.png
surgerycosts2.png (23.33 KiB) Viewed 808 times
User avatar
BlakeAronson
Flipper
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Long Beach, CA
8=====D~~~~

Postby piper27 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:42 pm

2 hrs post surgery and all I want to do it blow my nose so hard!
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby golobulus on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 pm

piper27 wrote:2 hrs post surgery and all I want to do it blow my nose so hard!


Don't do it man! You can break your stitches and undermine the surgery... just hang in there. It definitely sucks. If you you breathe through your nose at all and sleep tonight, consider yourself extremely lucky!
User avatar
golobulus
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 pm
Location: Queen Creek, AZ

Postby cotis on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:31 pm

iambillyg wrote:Just now seeing this thread, otherwise I would have provided my experience earlier.

I broke my nose when I was in the second grade. My mother was told that I was too young to get it fixed at the time, so I ended up having a septoplasty done after I graduated high school. To get it covered by insurance, I had to have an allergy test performed, to prove that I was allergic to numerous things and my deviated septum was leading to the allergies/sore throats, etc. It worked and I had the operation.

After surgery, I didn't have much discomfort. It was more being embarrassed to show my face bruised and swollen, with splints in my nostrils. After a week (I think), I was able to my the splints removed and remember it being an absolutely insane feeling being able to breathe out of both nostrils for the first time in nearly 10 years. It was great. Weeks following this, I had the occasional snot-clot that I would need to clear, and noticed that I sneezed a bit more, but things were great.

Over time, though, cartilage began to build back up and I slowly started to only be able to breathe out of one nostril at a time again. Last year, I met with my doctor to see if I could have another septoplasty due to allergies and the inability to properly breathe. It was approved and I actually had my 12 month checkup last Tuesday.

The second time around, it turns out, is much worse/difficult. My doctor told me the operation would take 2 hours, but came out to inform my girlfriend at hour 3, "his nose is a mess". He did as much as he could, but because I had already had the surgery once before, even more cartilage had built up for them to clear out. The discomfort and pain following this one was much worse, as well as the amount of blood. Prior to the surgery, my doctor had told me to take a week off from work, which I thought was an overreaction; it wasn't.

Getting the splints out this time was also not as pleasant. I had a 'vasovagal' response, as it's called, due to a the vagus nerve being hit on the removal. I didn't faint, thankfully, but I got dizzy and immediately clammy. However, I could breathe, for a while. During my 6 month checkup, things had gone back to before the surgery; I can still only breathe out of one nostril. Now that I've done my 12 month checkup and things are the same, my doctor said if they performed another septoplasty, there'd be nothing to keep my nose from caving in, so it'd have to be a complete reconstruction. Seeing how I've made it this long with only 50% access to my nose, I don't care enough to pursue that.

Hope your experience was better than mine and you only need it done once. Feel better, OP.


jesus christ this is horrifying.
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Postby piper27 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:03 pm

golobulus wrote:
piper27 wrote:2 hrs post surgery and all I want to do it blow my nose so hard!


Don't do it man! You can break your stitches and undermine the surgery... just hang in there. It definitely sucks. If you you breathe through your nose at all and sleep tonight, consider yourself extremely lucky!


Yeah I have a feeling sleep might not be an option tonight. I really excited to be able to breathe again once all this blood it out of my nose
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby jmagee87 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Just give it a week. You'll feel like a whole new person
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5935
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby piper27 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Just give it a week. You'll feel like a whole new person


Good thing I took 10 days off of work :pint:
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby erba on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 pm

piper27 wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:Just give it a week. You'll feel like a whole new person


Good thing I took 10 days off of work :pint:


10 days? I went back to work after 2!
User avatar
erba
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ccsmd598, Darkknight37 and 8 guests