Colorado Hiking

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby 1000steps on Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I am all ears about wilderness first aid stuff. Never know when it will be useful.

Nonvenomous snakes don't have fangs like the pit vipers, but rather grasping teeth that look like stubby needles, so a nonvenomous bite looks like a series of pinpricks. It can be a little difficult unhitching them, but no lasting harm. It can't be easy sinking those grasping teeth through dog fur, so I imagine dogs are somewhat better protected.
User avatar
1000steps
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: the studlio
sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby soam24 on Tue May 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Knowledge is power. Even more so in an area where I'm not as educated. :pint: :notworthy:
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image

Postby AliRock110 on Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Image
User avatar
AliRock110
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Postby 1000steps on Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 am

bryndavies wrote:Jumping in here for some quick destinations around Denver for when I'll be in town for the phish in September.


Here is the Westword calendar for the period around the Phish dates at Dick's.

http://www.westword.com/calendar?dateRange[]=2016-09-01&dateRange[]=2016-09-06

Not much showing up so far, but check back closer to the dates as there will be more events by then. Seems like Downtown Denver is usually kinda quiet when Phish is playing out at Dick's. All the wild folk relocate to Commerce City for the weekend, I guess.
User avatar
1000steps
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: the studlio
sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby soam24 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:01 am

We hit up these two recently.

http://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/deer-creek-canyon

^ this was pretty awesome. A lot of sun and arid conditions and also deep forest conditions. We did about 6 miles. Had a sweet view of the city as well!


Then we also recently did this.

http://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/carpenter-peak-trail


Both these trails are 20 minutes from my house? We started both hikes at 7 am and no one was really out.. the way back was cluster city!


Love this place/
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image

Postby dwlfennell on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:48 am

soam24 wrote:We hit up these two recently.

Then we also recently did this.

http://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/carpenter-peak-trail



Nice! I've gotta use that site. Were there quite a bit of flowers right now?

We haven't done anything too crazy...still acclimating to hikes that aren't flat like Florida. In the past couple of weeks we've hit up RMNP (early mornings) to do the Nymph-Dream-Emerald and Bierstadt Lake trails, North Table Top Mountain trail and El Dorado Canyon (didn't do the whole 7 miles or whatever it is). Also took a drive up Mount Evans...that was sort of a harrowing experience.
User avatar
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Denver

Postby soam24 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:22 am

dwlfennell wrote:
soam24 wrote:We hit up these two recently.

Then we also recently did this.

http://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/carpenter-peak-trail



Nice! I've gotta use that site. Were there quite a bit of flowers right now?

We haven't done anything too crazy...still acclimating to hikes that aren't flat like Florida. In the past couple of weeks we've hit up RMNP (early mornings) to do the Nymph-Dream-Emerald and Bierstadt Lake trails, North Table Top Mountain trail and El Dorado Canyon (didn't do the whole 7 miles or whatever it is). Also took a drive up Mount Evans...that was sort of a harrowing experience.



There were some.. We went about 3 weeks ago so they were still blooming.

But as of yesterday these are a few shots from Deer Creek. I only had my iphone as our good camera was dead :oops:

Image

Image
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image

Postby dwlfennell on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 am

Great! Thanks. We'll definitely add that to our ASAP list.
User avatar
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Denver

Postby 1000steps on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:51 am

Deer Creek Canyon and Carpenter Peak look real nice.

I need to make more trips down to the Roxborough/Chatfield area. Lots of great scenery there.

dwlfennell wrote:Also took a drive up Mount Evans...that was sort of a harrowing experience.


That Mt. Evans drive is a crazy experience on the weekends. The last time we were up there, I watched a guy rollerblading get run over by a car. I'd go back on a weekday, but no thanks on the weekend chaos.
User avatar
1000steps
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: the studlio
sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby dwlfennell on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:03 pm

1000steps wrote:That Mt. Evans drive is a crazy experience on the weekends. The last time we were up there, I watched a guy rollerblading get run over by a car. I'd go back on a weekday, but no thanks on the weekend chaos.


Whoa! Coming back down Trail Ridge Road at RMNP yesterday, there was a biker blazing down the road passing cars (and freaking out a number of drivers). Thought for sure he was gonna get it...passing cars around bends...didn't matter. Ugh...and then there's all the asshats taking pictures of bighorn sheep and elk from like 20 ft. away. Anyway, we've learned our lesson for any of these popular places - get there early and get out by 11 or 12 on the weekends if possible.
User avatar
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Denver

Postby soam24 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:28 pm

dwlfennell wrote:
1000steps wrote:That Mt. Evans drive is a crazy experience on the weekends. The last time we were up there, I watched a guy rollerblading get run over by a car. I'd go back on a weekday, but no thanks on the weekend chaos.


Whoa! Coming back down Trail Ridge Road at RMNP yesterday, there was a biker blazing down the road passing cars (and freaking out a number of drivers). Thought for sure he was gonna get it...passing cars around bends...didn't matter. Ugh...and then there's all the asshats taking pictures of bighorn sheep and elk from like 20 ft. away. Anyway, we've learned our lesson for any of these popular places - get there early and get out by 11 or 12 on the weekends if possible.



We ALMOST went to RMNP, Trail Ridge Road, Ute Trail yesterday.. but opted for the closer one near us like posted above. Our plan is to be on any trail as close to 7 am as possible.

Unfortunately, I'm a weekend warrior despite my work schedule having off Fridays, can't leave the wife behind.
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image

Postby 1000steps on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm

So happy to hear you both are getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Here are a few recommendations for less busy weekend hiking:

Sandbeach Lake Trailhead (RMNP Wild Basin area)
http://www.protrails.com/trail/58/rocky ... beach-lake

Pear Lake (RMNP Wild Basin area)
http://www.protrails.com/trail/11/rocky-mountain-national-park-pear-lake Allenspark trailhead is normally quiet

Peaceful Valley (N. of Ward)
http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_13087344?source=most_viewed

Niwot Ridge (N. of Nederland)
http://www.protrails.com/trail/326/indian-peaks-wilderness-area-niwot-ridge

Sourdough Trail (N. of Nederland)
http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/sourdough-trail

East Portal (W. of Rollinsville)
http://www.protrails.com/trail/279/indian-peaks-wilderness-area-crater-lakes trailhead can be busy but people spread out

Mammoth Gulch (W. of Rollinsville) avoid during hunting season, otherwise spectacular
http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/mammoth-gulch-open-backcountry-secret/

Beaver Brook Trail (W. of Golden)
http://www.gohikeco.com/2014/06/beaver-brook-trail-windy-saddle-park.html
User avatar
1000steps
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: the studlio
sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby Zetterberg on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 pm

If you're looking for a moderate hike or trail run, Herman's Gulch up by Idaho Springs is really pretty . . . and of course, there's Beau Jo's waiting for you when you finish.
User avatar
Zetterberg
Art Enthusiast
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby soam24 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Hiked a 14'er over the weekend, Mt. Sherman. My first one. Great hike. Was about 6 miles total so not crazy on the distance, elevation went from 12k to 14,036. I'm ready for my next one. The hardest part was coming down on such a grade that the tops of your toes rub against your shoes the entire way down and gets very uncomfortable.

Early rock trek up, this was very low in the hike and soon to find out to be a reoccurring thing.
Image

Last rock portion up to the peak, not a wide path at all.
Image

American flag at the top of the mountain.. 14,036 feet up.
Image

View to the south from the peak, was amazed at how flat it was up there.
Image

Looking over Leadville, CO and Turquoise Lake
Image

The crew for this hike
Image
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image

Postby 1000steps on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:55 pm

nice!
User avatar
1000steps
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3333
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: the studlio
sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest