Colorado Hiking

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby soam24 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Figured there are enough CO people on here maybe we can get this thread rolling? It's been so nice outside on the weekends I'm sure a bunch of people have been taking advantage of it.

Off the top of my head hikes we've done in the past couple weeks:

Mount Falcon Castle Trail Loop: Easy with minor elevation gains. Great for dogs and beginners / family. etc.

Chautauqua Trail (Boulder): So many awesome trails here to the flatirons.. can make this as easy or difficult as you want. CROWEDED. A lot of people and a lot of dogs.
soam24
Art Freak

Image http://numberedpaper.bigcartel.com/ <- buy art
TheGeneralDean wrote:Sarcasm is the first resort of the oblivious n the last refuge of the uneducated, so I understand why none of this makes sense to you

Postby ErocAfellar on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm

For close to Denver, I like Golden Gate Park and hiking up Windy Peak.

Castlewood Canyon near Parker is another good spot without too much of a drive.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!

Postby 1000steps on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm

South Table Mountain Jeffco Open Space: http://jeffco.us/open-space/parks/south-table-mountain-park/

North Table Mountain Jeffco Open Space: http://www.cityofgolden.net/play/recreation-attractions/trails/north-table-mountain-trail/

Both involve short steep hikes up to the flat tops of the mountains, then hikes on level to slightly rolling terrain for miles, with stunning 360 degree views of city and foothills.

Graded gravel trails with no services. You will pass two or three people on a 60 minute hike on South Table Mountain. On North Table Mountain, odds are good you will see no one else.

In the summer, both table mountains are best enjoyed in morning and evening, as the midday heat can be a bit stifling up top. Mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, elk, and a variety of raptors frequent these areas. Herds of mule deer are common.

The Table Mountain rattlesnakes are notoriously big and mean, so keep to the trails.
1000steps
Art Expert

sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Not from Colorado, but took a hiking trip up to RMNP last year with some friends. A couple of good ones we did were the Bear, Nymph, Dream, and Emerald Lake Loop (extremely crowded, especially on the bear lake end). We also hiked Mt. Ida (not crowded at all). I'd highly recommend both
Last edited by jmagee87 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby soam24 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 pm

1000steps wrote:South Table Mountain Jeffco Open Space: http://jeffco.us/open-space/parks/south-table-mountain-park/

North Table Mountain Jeffco Open Space: http://www.cityofgolden.net/play/recreation-attractions/trails/north-table-mountain-trail/

Both involve short steep hikes up to the flat tops of the mountains, then hikes on level to slightly rolling terrain for miles, with stunning 360 degree views of city and foothills.

Graded gravel trails with no services. You will pass two or three people on a 60 minute hike on South Table Mountain. On North Table Mountain, odds are good you will see no one else.

In the summer, both table mountains are best enjoyed in morning and evening, as the midday heat can be a bit stifling up top. Mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, elk, and a variety of raptors frequent these areas. Herds of mule deer are common.

The Table Mountain rattlesnakes are notoriously big and mean, so keep to the trails.

awesome!
soam24
Art Freak

TheGeneralDean wrote:Sarcasm is the first resort of the oblivious n the last refuge of the uneducated, so I understand why none of this makes sense to you

Postby soam24 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Roxborough State Park: We did this a few weekends ago.

Entry: $7
No Dogs Allowed.

Very crowded get there early. About 7 different trails, a very simple loop red rocks one. To a long, steep incline with amazing views.

soam24
Art Freak

Postby 1000steps on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Roxborough is beautiful. Great family hiking spot.

For the rock hounds out there, there is a location on the flanks of South Table Mountain where you can examine one of the best outcrops anywhere in the world of the famous Cretaceous-Tertiary ("K-T") Boundary.

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2013/10/cretaceous-paleogene-boundary.html
1000steps
Art Expert

Postby BenRichards on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:15 pm

I'll be spending all next week in Colorado, any suggestions for places to go check out and places to camp would be appreciated. I know I'll be in Colorado Springs and Denver, but not opposed to going to Durango or Gunnison.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.

Postby peacedog on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 pm

BenRichards wrote:I'll be spending all next week in Colorado, any suggestions for places to go check out and places to camp would be appreciated. I know I'll be in Colorado Springs and Denver, but not opposed to going to Durango or Gunnison.

Normally I'd say it's too early to be thinking of camping, but given the weather this season, maybe. It looks like the high country is finally getting snow this week, and it's still plenty cold at night, too.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby applehead on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Three sisters and mount bergan in Evergreen are fun hikes. Cool huge off leash dog park near Bergan. Way more touristy is Garden of the Gods, if you go, I'd recommend going on a weekday, not much parking on the weekends. Also touristy, but cave of the winds is up the canyon a bit and interesting for someone who recently moved here. I always like checking out Manitou Springs. Cool little hippie town with some cool art galleries and interesting tribal history. Deckers has some good hikes and cool camping spots and is super close.
applehead
Art Expert

Postby recycler on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Great thread!

Yes, RMNP has some great trails. The drive out to Telluride as I recall was quite pretty. Those are essentially my memories of Rado, bra.
recycler
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 am

BenRichards wrote:I'll be spending all next week in Colorado, any suggestions for places to go check out and places to camp would be appreciated. I know I'll be in Colorado Springs and Denver, but not opposed to going to Durango or Gunnison.

Think it just depends how far you wanna drive and how much time you'll have? The mountains are usually 15-20 degrees colder from what the city is, or so I can tell, so keep that in mind.

I don't have much input aside from using google "Denver hikes" etc.. hence creating the thread. :P

But awesome suggestions and what not so far. If places have fee's, rules, dog policies please include those as well.

We are checking this out next !

http://dayhikesneardenver.com/devils-head-fire-tower-lookout-hike/
soam24
Art Freak

Postby sidewaysscott on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:34 am

Yup devils head is nice. In high school we used to camp there and get drymounted up.

ErocAfellar wrote:For close to Denver, I like Golden Gate Park and hiking up Windy Peak.

Castlewood Canyon near Parker is another good spot without too much of a drive.

yeah, both are very nice!
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby 1000steps on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am

Take a look at Nederland CO, a groovy little town in the Front Range foothills about 30 minutes west of Boulder. Fun downhill and XC skiing at Eldora ski area - without negotiating I-70 traffic - and incredible wilderness access from various locations. "Ned" has food, music, scenery, local color, cannabis shops, etc. Cheap airbnbs and homeaway places abound.

Estes Park, the Stanley "Shining" Hotel, and Rocky Mountain National Park are about an hour north of Ned, and you can be walking on the Pearl St. Mall in Boulder in 40 minutes. Great snowshoeing options from nearby Hessie trailhead, and Eldora ski area is ten minutes away. Careful though, you might end up staying :wink:

Pssst...one of the most heavenly places on Earth is located just outside of Ned. RE prices are high there, but you cannot find a more wonderful place to live. It begins with an "M" and was the name of a Paul Thomas Anderson film 8)
1000steps
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Yesterday I found an article on maybe 5280.com or a similar site that had lodging on the mountain tops, most of which you had to hike to and from..

Anyways, I can't seem to find the link today, does anyone have any information regarding this by chance?
soam24
Art Freak

Next

Return to Anything Goes