Entry-level IT job

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby IWish on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:45 am

Bikejoh wrote:Not EE, Electronic Systems Engineering Technology, about 70/30 hardware/software. Two semesters away from graduating, too late for an internship, not about to switch majors. Senior project is software heavy and should look pretty good.

Close to 10 yrs. ago I worked for this company - Dalsa Corporation. At that time, I worked at the Dalsa/Life Sciences division which will fall under the 'medical' products in their sites dropdown menu. The Life Sciences division specialized in manufacturing scientific-grade cameras for medical imaging.

Given your description 70/30 hardware/software, (and what I observed while working there), your education sounds like it is something they would look for. It's a Canadian corporation, but looks like they've been bought by a U.S. corp (Teledyne) since I left. I can say that Dalsa Corp. was the best company I've ever worked for.

When you have time take a look.

https://www.teledynedalsa.com/corp/company-profile/
http://www.teledyne.com/

Bio-tech/Life Sciences are heavy R&D with current ever-changing technology. Can't go wrong to get you foot in the door at corporations like this. Teledyne Dalsa's range of products is impressive.
IWish
Art Expert

I'm out of foil - my hat can't get any bigger.

Postby Bikejoh on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks! Applied for an Automations Technician position just to see what happens.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 am

Sure thing! Happy to help.

I read the job description. I wonder where "automation" falls within their product list. I remember that the company manufactures scanners (cameras) for automation in food inspections (scans for impurities in foods such as baby food.) They also make cameras that scan glass for tv's/monitor manufacturing scanning for flaws in the glass. The Life Sciences division manufactured cameras for mammography, xray and custom cameras to inspect pharmaceuticals (on a molecular level) for synthetic proteins. This particular camera had a price of $250K. :shock:

The camera used to film the movie Avatar was custom made using CCD technology - one of the areas that this corporation specializes.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby whiskaz on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:58 pm

jmagee87 wrote:A developer with exceptional people skills? You sir are a unicorn

I'm good w/ customers. Good at explaining technical stuff to non-technical folks. I'm not awkward. Pretty well-spoken. I'm technically proficient but there are definitely guys on the floor that are more "into" it than I am ... and some of them are downright difficult to talk to. I feel pretty well-balanced haha...

That said, I'm an introvert and would prefer to stay quiet...but when I need to, I can speak up.

I've been asked if I'd like to lead some training "brown bag" sessions, etc, but that last thing I want to do is speak in front of people in that manner. Ugh.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Off-topic, other than saying that I'm good w/customers. My experience is 20+ yrs. in construction (primarily residential.) Had a old guy call us with an installation issue - part of my job was to help resolve these problems. Old guy kept insisting that he wanted to speak to a "man". I suggested that he put his wife on the phone instead and I'd work-out the issue with her. He shut-up after that.

Yeah, I'm good w/customers. :lol:
IWish
Art Expert

Postby fnord on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am

Bikejoh wrote:This is a pretty dumb question, but I've always had it.. what are IT jobs outside of helpdesk troubleshooting like? App or software development jobs, for example.. what's the daily routine? Does your boss give you a problem that needs to be solved and you just do it? How much training is involved? What are you expected to know coming in? I guess it'd probably be in the job description, just curious what the daily routine is like.

I wear a lot of hats. Cloud architect, devops, sys admin, solutions architect. Basically too many hats. On the plus side my days are rarely boring.
What that means for day to day is I have to keep a proper prioritization of projects and issues, this can be very tough to keep everything in perspective and not let things fall through the cracks.
issues come in through our helpdesk system and get routed to me. New projects require new technical solutions which have their own deadlines.
When things get overwhelming I just fall back to triage what needs to be done at that moment.

How much training you can expect at your job is really too broad of a question to be answered. It mainly depends on what position their looking to hire for. Low level positions can expect to receive more training than higher level ones.
For generalities I'd say that if you're applying for an entry level position you should have base knowledge of the technology you'll be working with and you can expect them to train you on how specifically they use it.

Additionally if it turns out you like the field and want to keep going it with it you should expect to drive your own learning.
fnord
Art Expert

DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E

Postby Bikejoh on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:25 pm

fnord wrote:For generalities I'd say that if you're applying for an entry level position you should have base knowledge of the technology you'll be working with and you can expect them to train you on how specifically they use it.

Well that's reassuring.. showed up at both of my past jobs thinking I'd receive much less training than I actually did.

fnord wrote:Additionally if it turns out you like the field and want to keep going it with it you should expect to drive your own learning.

Yeah not a problem, just at a bit of a roadblock here..
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby Bikejoh on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:06 pm

If anyone needs a script to migrate to a new domain, I'm your guy.... :groucho:
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby LeeKaye on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:07 am

jmagee87 wrote:A developer with exceptional people skills? You sir are a unicorn

Yes. About 10 years ago, I was working for a consultancy. I was a team leader and the team was 50% our staff and 50% the client company. So I would train and lead their staff and really quite enjoyed it. However, there is something to be said for just focusing on the development stuff. That said, I spent yesterday afternoon staring at 1000s of lines of a HEX trace log file trying to find out why our hardware wasn't working correctly.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Postby Bikejoh on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Kicking ass in powershell.. wrote a script today to simplify adding computer objects to AD while following our naming convention. Not as difficult as I expected, starting was the hardest part. Forgot how satisfying programming is.. :D
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby whiskaz on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Kicking ass in powershell.. wrote a script today to simplify adding computer objects to AD while following our naming convention. Not as difficult as I expected, starting was the hardest part. Forgot how satisfying programming is.. :D

I love it. I'm not so into it that I do it after hours all the time, but I will occassionally get a bug up my arse, so to speak, and work on some stuff. I have a bad habit of losing track of time and getting consumed by stuff (outside of work) and then catching hell from my wife haha...

It's still really satisfying to have something work, even at the most basic level, 15+ years later.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Postby NoseSpray on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I am very thankful that I was tossed into numerous roles at my last place of business. I was doing everything from specing out VOIP soltuions for remote sites, PTZ cameras and microwave fencing for said remote sites, deploying a MS failover cluster for MS SQL 2014 Ent with AlwaysOn HA groups and then deploying SharePoint 2013 Ent on top of that, along with a mixed (prod/DR) environment. Also into a very niche real-time data platform that I just accepted a new job for. Been doing that for about six years solid. It was just one of those random things I was thrown into and it has turned out to be very prosperous for my family and I. I still miss doing some Oracle stuff, or deploying firewalls and setting up IPSEC tunnels, or designing the architecture for a new VM/SSD SAN infrastructure though. That hands-on stuff was fun.
NoseSpray
Art Connoisseur

Postby soam24 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:21 pm

without digging too deep here. Best websites to obtain practice guides for CCNA? Going to study up and get my cert.
soam24
Art Freak

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:30 pm

soam24 wrote:without digging too deep here. Best websites to obtain practice guides for CCNA? Going to study up and get my cert.

I'm currently working on the same thing. Cisco's training academy actually has everything you need ($400 a year) or you can use a site like www.pluralsight.com which has Cisco stuff as well as other things.
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby praxitas on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm

soam24 wrote:without digging too deep here. Best websites to obtain practice guides for CCNA? Going to study up and get my cert.

9tut.net - ICND1&2
9tut.com - CCNA

I think its like $9 month for a premium membership but worth it imo
praxitas
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes